Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have some snow and have closed roads once or twice. Couple of fatalities due to road conditions ( maybe driver error?) took me an extra 20 minutes on my 2 1/2 hour drive yesterday. Just after I went past they closed the highway due to black ice, cars were sliding all over the place. I think excess speed for the conditions were the problem but they blamed it on the snow and ice?
Picked up a load from an online sale today. Lower online attendance over the Christmas holidays meant I got a couple of deals. Rental equipment that was hardly ever used. They had a couple of Stihls but they went more than I wanted to pay. Snow pics are the house in Tobermory where I cleared all the trees.

Attachments

• 20200107_105324.jpg
    20200107_105324.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • 20200107_105318.jpg
    20200107_105318.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 40
  • 20200107_105355.jpg
    20200107_105355.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 20200106_120613.jpg
    20200106_120613.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • 20200106_120551.jpg
    20200106_120551.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 38

Attachments

• risas[1].gif
    risas[1].gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 6
We have some snow and have closed roads once or twice. Couple of fatalities due to road conditions ( maybe driver error?) took me an extra 20 minutes on my 2 1/2 hour drive yesterday. Just after I went past they closed the highway due to black ice, cars were sliding all over the place. I think excess speed for the conditions were the problem but they blamed it on the snow and ice?
Picked up a load from an online sale today. Lower online attendance over the Christmas holidays meant I got a couple of deals. Rental equipment that was hardly ever used. They had a couple of Stihls but they went more than I wanted to pay. Snow pics are the house in Tobermory where I cleared all the trees.
Nice score.
I like the loading job.
Reminds me of when I went to pick up an aluminum trailer, I had my steel trailer that was the same size with me and a quad. It was interesting but we got it done, getting it undone when I got home was a good bit of work by myself, of course after the fact I came up with about 100 better ways I could have done it :omg:.
What's the yellow thing, a lift?

Reloading Trick: Most of us adjust our full length sizing die to just touch the shoulder, and never adjust it again. Also, many of us don't get neck sizing dies.

I have a large washer that fits between my full size dies and the press and I use it when I want to neck size (w/o using a neck sizing die). This works especially well on long neck cases like the 270 Win.

There is sometimes another benefit to doing this - improved accuracy. Because a short portion of the neck in front of the shoulder will not get sized (the thickness of the washer) it will perfectly align your case in the bore thus improving accuracy. (it is fire formed) Similarly, if I use a neck sizer die, I often adjust it not to size the entire neck.

Most cases have more neck than is necessary for good accuracy. The evidence can be found in short neck cartridges like the 300 Winchester Magnum which was very effective in long range (1,000 yard) matches when it was first introduced.

Happy Reloading!

I have a problem. I bought two saws last week.

I needed a saw because I was out of reach of my stash and a tree came down and a few branches fell in my driveway. This is like a second place which happens to be closer to where the company has me working than home is. I was able to drive over the branches, nothing bigger than about six inch diameter. These are two saws I mentioned about Thanksgiving time and y'all said I should buy both, and the four wheeler too. A Husqvarna 555 and a Shindaiwa 350. (I have not bought the four wheeler.)

I started with the Shindaiwa because I was working with smaller stuff. I still need to work with the chain more, but as I ran it it started running worse and worse. Trying to tune it some, I found the idle speed all the way in and the mixture screws out on the order of three or four turns, maybe more. Now it doesn't run good at all and the more I try to put it to 'normal' settings the less it wants to run. The saw had oil in the fuel tank and smoked a lot (naturally). for a while, but as it cleared up it also began to falter. I put canned fuel in it; i don't know what they put in at the pawn shop when I bought it, but it started and ran and smoked.

Is this likely to need anything besides cleaning out the carb and checking the fuel lines and such. Actually much of this, being way out of adjustment and not hardly running after trying to adjust it to proper, sounds a lot like what was going on with the Wild Thing which is the only other saw I have at this place. If that had been running, I would not have needed to buy two saws.

Thanks in advance. Buying more saws is not always the solution.

I needed a saw because I was out of reach of my stash and a tree came down and a few branches fell in my driveway. This is like a second place which happens to be closer to where the company has me working than home is. I was able to drive over the branches, nothing bigger than about six inch diameter. These are two saws I mentioned about Thanksgiving time and y'all said I should buy both, and the four wheeler too. A Husqvarna 555 and a Shindaiwa 350. (I have not bought the four wheeler.)

I started with the Shindaiwa because I was working with smaller stuff. I still need to work with the chain more, but as I ran it it started running worse and worse. Trying to tune it some, I found the idle speed all the way in and the mixture screws out on the order of three or four turns, maybe more. Now it doesn't run good at all and the more I try to put it to 'normal' settings the less it wants to run. The saw had oil in the fuel tank and smoked a lot (naturally). for a while, but as it cleared up it also began to falter. I put canned fuel in it; i don't know what they put in at the pawn shop when I bought it, but it started and ran and smoked.

Is this likely to need anything besides cleaning out the carb and checking the fuel lines and such. Actually much of this, being way out of adjustment and not hardly running after trying to adjust it to proper, sounds a lot like what was going on with the Wild Thing which is the only other saw I have at this place. If that had been running, I would not have needed to buy two saws.

That sounds like a junksaw that the shop added oil to the fuel to help the rings seal to build enough compression to start it. i.e., total junk

I'd check the spark plug as it's probably nasty looking now. Hit it with a little brake parts cleaner to get any oil off it and then reinstall for now, probably replace it if she will run(why spend money on it if there is a problem, check it out first to narrow down the problem).
I'd check all the fuel lines and inspect the carb connections to be sure nothing is loose, I would also look closely at the intake and check for any holes in it.
Then I would tune the saw starting with the High and Low screws out one turn from lightly screwed all the way in. You don't want to turn them all the way in tightly, just until they stop, then back them out one turn on the high and one turn on the low.
Once you do that you should need to back the idle screw quite a bit as it sounds like it's set very rich right now.
If you don't know how to tune the saw I'd find another member in the area that can help.

I was reading some posts from 5-6 years ago...

I really miss seeing the blue beastView attachment 786568View attachment 786569
No pictures but I used to do that with an 87 suburban and 98 GMC Savanna 12 passenger van . Took out the two rows of seats in the van I was able to fit my wife's Fatboy and my Springer in it and pull a 30 ft camper to sturgis 3 times. The area behind the front seats was over 10 ft long

Well, I'm happy to report that the piston looks good having taken the muffler off. I was able to get it to start and run for a while and make a couple test cuts on a little sapling. It was getting dark to see the high and low screws to do much trying to adjust them, but I am pretty sure cleaning the carb is necessary and checking/replacing hoses and maybe the filter. I think it is not getting fuel adequately. I never got around to working with the Wild Thing; similar symptoms, it may need the same treatment. Getting dark to adjust the carb, but I hit the rakers (safety chain) with an angle grinder. Now there are chips, not powder.

chipper, the two fellas loading me at the yard were shaking their heads too for awhile. Hard to tell in the pics but I took 2 axle stands with me to set the top trailer on. Put the pay loader forks under the top trailer on each side of the wheel, hook chains from top bar of the forks to far side of trailer and hook to the rub rail on each side of opposite wheel. Lift forks, tipping points up as you lift to keep it level. Drive straight ahead and set on the two axle stands and the front jack sitting on the lower trailer. Unhook chains back out, lower the front jack then strap it down. Throw the small stuff inside and hit the road. And unloading with my little tractor and limited reach was a bit harder. Put forks on top against the gate, chain to the right side fork, crank the jack as high as it will go, lift as high as possible, pull the lever to tilt the lower trailer bed. Swival the trailer a bit so that the tires on top trailer miss the bottom trailer wheels, make ( yes make) your wife drive the truck ahead and the trailer pulls out from under the upper trailer. Lower the trailer, apologize for yelling at the wife ( it was nearing supper time and I was hungry not stupid) go park the trailer in an empty spot in the field beside the other 22 trailers you already have. Go into the house and surf auction sites while you eat supper. Seen a couple of eagles giving a crow a hard time near Chesley today during the storm. White out conditions then bright sun in Tobermory. Had a good coal bed in the OWB tonight too. Have to click on the eagle pictures for some reason they are sideways too. Darn Americans.

Attachments

• 20200107_133832.jpg
    20200107_133832.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 20200107_105333.jpg
    20200107_105333.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 20200108_181033.jpg
    20200108_181033.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 20200108_181041.jpg
    20200108_181041.jpg