How does it work, buying in Canada, bringing into US?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all.
What if I bought new or used equipment, picked it up in Canada and brought it home?
How does that work?
Does Canada or local areas have sales tax?
Is there an import tax when entering the US?
How does the paper work work?
I do have a current passport, and no warrants as far as I know.
We traveled through Canada with the rv trailer, but I'm assuming a loaded equipment trailer would be quite different.

Far as i know just claim what you bringing home at the boarder. Have a reciept. May have to pay duty.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

We go over every couple of weeks to get parts to bring back to Ontario. Never taken anything from here to there though. My wife was over on Monday to pick up motorcycle parts. It's for a business so we have to pay Ontario taxes on anything brought over the bridge. There are a ton of rules though and some stuff is no fees or reduced fees. Pain to figure out so just claim it all. If it's for personal use there is usually no Duty.
If it has an ownership then the ownership has to be to the border 72 hours or something before the item gets there so they can check to see if it stolen. We have a drop place in Port Huron that stuff gets shipped to and then we pick it up, pay the fees and bring it home. I've bought stuff at Repocast before and quite a few times they didn't even change anything on our side.

What are you buying and where, I might be able to help out too? I can't cross but my son and wife can.

These guys are in Chesterfield, Michigan and haul back and forth all the time. They would likely do the paperwork, get and haul anything you need for a reasonable fee. Joe buys at the same sales I do.
https://www.rosseelsonline.com/
These guys are in Fenton and also haul back and forth. http://www.hodgesfarmequipment.com/

I bought a dump trailer in Ontario and brought it back to PA 3 years ago. Had to pay 13% GST (general sales tax) when I bought it. The dealer told me about a form I could fill out and send back to the Canadian government for a refund. Sure enough, 3 months later I got the sales tax back.

I bought a off-road buggy from a guy up north and he just drug it over to me and we swapped on the US side in a Walmart parking lot...nether country even knew it happened, of course this only works when no title or BOS are needed.

Now they do.

Back