whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started a job today. We got there and it rained yesterday and the water was running under the ground. 18” of topsoil and then it’s ledge. So we had to work around a puddle.
2bfbb16b57c71b92cd86967598bf34d9.jpg

I bet that arbor trolley is handy when you need it. Seems like it’d be perfect for bringing that cut and toss sized limb wood to the chipper.

I finally bought a log dolly a couple years back and immediately realized I should’ve bought something more like the trolley (when I saw the guys loading it laying down). I guess you kind of need both really when you get into the bigger wood.

I bet that arbor trolley is handy when you need it. Seems like it’d be perfect for bringing that cut and toss sized limb wood to the chipper.

I finally bought a log dolly a couple years back and immediately realized I should’ve bought something more like the trolley (when I saw the guys loading it laying down). I guess you kind of need both really when you get into the bigger wood.

I’ve had it about nine years and it’s a great investment. You have to be careful of water settling in the holes where the stakes go. If it freezes it will bust the square stock.

This this is great for pieces of wood 4-14” in diameter cut to 6-8’ long. One guy can load about five hundred pounds on the thing with some cutting and then transport it with little effort AS LONG AS YOU’RE NOT GOING UP ANY GRADE HILL. The second you hit a hill you need a second guy to push while you pull or say **** it and get a mini.

The brush can be stacked on it as long as you have the patience to cut it up and then throw heavier logs on top to smoosh it down and consolidate. That is usually the best way to forward if the drag is very long.

Got this thing done by noon while it was snowing out.
Then headed over to get a jump start on these two monster red oaks that have to be completely climbed, rigged down, and ditch witched out.
c532a2985c88afc5f0dd00e1b83b5944.jpg

Got snowed on all morning getting set up (had to grease rotation on lift too, etc., usual bs). That’s alright, good day to burn up doing that. Started cutting at like 2:30 - 3:00 and still got a load of chips out. Easy breezy now that we’re set up.:)

That hitch we had made for the giant was a thing of beauty getting that chipper back there. Would’ve been complete hell without it.
66191D11-3DEF-4FBF-AFAB-E7C785D49468.jpeg
D7C16BD6-6EF2-4949-B41E-350542A1D126.jpeg
64120E2F-B8CA-49BF-A9C6-A85D2F2D83FF.jpeg
CE26CA17-6170-4E2E-BCC9-2D6736EF53E8.jpeg

I get to take a day “off” after our recent mini roll. Cold as hell out there anyway. Finished that willow just in time.

Still way backlogged (didn’t do much in December so that didn’t help) and have estimates to do as we speak. I have to start thinking about getting some more help out here this year. Specifically another tree cutter and ground guy. It’s getting a little ridiculous. I’m by no means looking to hang up the harness, but something needs to give.

I have a new third guy now I’ve been trying out. At first I thought he was just trying to be annoying or whatever, but it slowly dawned on me that he’s just that dumb. I mean there’s no other way to put it. I feel bad for yelling at him now. I really do. It’s just when someone is standing in what would be my blind spot behind the loader and I tell them to move several times through the headset, and they still won’t move (while I’m trying to lift heavy things on ice next to my lift), then it’s time for some good old fashioned yelling, I mean wtf! I may not be perfect, I’m just glad I’m not a retard. Omg...

The best was his quote after getting screamed at “I was trying to be safe, braw... safety, braw”. Lmao. Holy ****ing moron...

Ouch.

Misjudged my notch so we GRCS'd it back. Put a bit too much tension and it snapped back on my right hand. Somehow the customer got a shot at the exact moment of impact.

I felt light-headed and nauseous and needed to take a 5 minute breather.

Attachments

• IMG_0127a.jpg
    IMG_0127a.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 38
  • KIMG0012.JPG
    KIMG0012.JPG
    437.1 KB · Views: 36
Showing the Hilljacks up in Goshen how we do. :)

I think we got “coal rolled” a couple of times. Lol

Man that is a ton of plyboard there. I been playing that game for so long. I just brought in a big crane sub and he asked me to get him 20 sheets of matting. I rented them for $10 ea and when I took them back I thought why not take a shot and asked if they wanted to sell any of these. They did and I bought 20 at $135. ea. Duradeck I believe in 4x8's. Guar. for life. Wish I did this years ago. Seems I am getting a little smarter each year but the bad news...just about out of years.

Back