2 Chainsaw Operation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRLHI

Reaction score
We’re a small 2 man Landscaping/Tree Service/Home Improvement company. We started out with our two personal chainsaws a Jonsered 2250 w/18” B&C, and Jonsered 2240 w/16” B&C. We are trying to upgrade and get pro grade saws now that we’re starting to get established. We have recently purchased a Echo 355T for in the tree. What would be the best 2 saws for felling and limbing?

We keep all of our equipment stock, so is the 462 able to pull 28” full comp? 90% of what we cut is oak. I’ve been told both ways but is it better to run the 20” on the big saw and just deal with cutting from both sides. Or buy a bigger saw and have the ability to run a bar big enough to cut from one side only?

I run a 28" on my 462 all the time. 32 when I need it.

If you're constantly cutting large oak that requires a 28" bar, then a 661 would probably be a better option for you. Otherwise the 462 would be fine.

I just fell and bucked two very large oaks that were still 30" at 20' up. No issue running a 28" bar on my 462 the whole time.

Not that we’re brand loyal but what would be a good husqvarna combo? So we can shop around for the best deal, we have a stihl and husqvarna dealer within 10min.

Both dealers still have the non electric carb models still 461, 390, 395, etc if that makes a difference with your recommendations.

For a tree service, eventually you'll want a stump cutting saw. I'd want a 395xp personally. You could use a 661, but a 660 would be a little better for that application, in my mind anyway.

Rather than determining what bar to use based on what saw you buy, you should decide what size bars you need to run and go from there. Using a 28"+ bar makes felling much easier. If you're cutting oak all day and want to use a bar that size, I'd go 461, 661, 390xp or 395xp. If you go with the 395, that saw can do stumping and felling/bucking, but you will want something between your "limbing saw" and the 395.

If you do go with Husqvarna I might go 545 or 550xp, 365 or 372, and 395.

I’d go Husky 550xp and 390xp. We run a 32” bar full camp cutting white oaks with the 390 and it handles it no problem. 550 is a great limbing saw.

I started around 1980 in the firewood business. I bought a husky 2100(99 cc) 24” bar and a husky 240sg (40 cc) 16” bar.soon the 2100 had a 16”/18” bars. Then I realized I needed something inbetween a husky 266se rounded out the work horses. My fourth saw was a husky 2101 Xp with 28” bar, the 2101 xp was backup.

I would recommend the ms261cm in the 50cc class I have a 572xp and I love it but the others are right for that kind of operation you need some big muscle. 390xp 395xp or a 661. See if your dealer can make you a good deal on one brand or the other and get bids from different dealers all said and done you're spending alot of money so see who wants it the most.

Back