Held an 880 magnum yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperDuty04

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was at the Stihl shop browsing around like I enjoy doing and they had in a new 880 magnum sittin on the shelf so I just had to fondle it a little...my god that thing weighs as much as a VW bug. I couldn't imagine packing something like that around the woods for any amount of time. Who here owns one?

Iv used one once. I don't think there is very much in Kentucky that warrants using one. The only reason I got a chance to play with it was my neighbor was one of those guys that just has to get the biggest and baddest of everything so he goes to buy a chainsaw and tells the dealer he wants the best saw made. $1800 of coal operator money later my friend has a 880. I think it has been ran maybe 2 hours in the several years he has had it. To each their own but it's a whole bunch of saw and not much fun to run.

I have an 084av which was the first stihl saw of that design. It was replaced by the 088 then the 880. Most people say the 088 was the best, anyhow its the hardest to come by.
I mostly use mine for splitting big hardwood chunks with a crotch in them that would give the splitter a hard time. Either that or for bucking BIG sitka logs.

I’ve often wondered what to do with a 880. Guy down the road has a nice one for sale for $1100. Kind of tempting, but I just can’t figure out what I could do with it other than buck a couple huge rounds and big stumps per year. I’ve picked one up once and it’s way heavier than a 660!

It is a specialty saw. I traded an older Sig p220 and with some cash took over ownership of a nearly new ms880. I tried to sell it, but only poachers showed it any interest, and wanted it for nearly free. I have use it and it tossed wood chips like no other. Not a lot of big stuff for me to cut with it, but for cutting planks it is the answer.

I debated getting one for milling until I held one. Decided on a ported 394xp that would actually get double duty since I occasionally get some big oak for firewood. The 880 would have definitely been a conversation piece sitting on the shelf in the garage though, until all my buddies would want to hear it run every time they were over.

I have a 3120 with a 50” cannon bar. Nope, it don’t fit in the side box. I don’t think I have started it in half a decade. Its just like a Motel 6 for dust bunnies and mud daubers.

I’ve often wondered what to do with a 880. Guy down the road has a nice one for sale for $1100. Kind of tempting, but I just can’t figure out what I could do with it other than buck a couple huge rounds and big stumps per year. I’ve picked one up once and it’s way heavier than a 660!
I mill wood myself but I just can’t seem to find myself really wanting a 120cc saw. My 95cc saw handles milling just fine with a 36” bar.... I want the biggest baddest saw out there but for my needs the 395 has never once under performed...

Maybe the future of saws is compact fuel injection with super chargers to replace big heavy displacement :)

I mill wood myself but I just can’t seem to find myself really wanting a 120cc saw. My 95cc saw handles milling just fine with a 36” bar.... I want the biggest baddest saw out there but for my needs the 395 has never once under performed...
Strap a 60in bar on it an get back to me [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back