Hard to pull start MS250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The saw clearly has something wrong with it. There’s no reason it needs a D handle or heavier cord. Maybe the recoil isn’t ideal, but either the pawls are binding up, hydrolocked from a leaking carb or less likely a bearing in the engine locking up.

What are the chances something failed on a brand new saw? The thing isn't but a couple weeks old. I cut up a few down limbs here and there with it and sized some firewood for the wood stove.
Once it starts, its fine, it runs and cuts great. The recoil pulls fine with the plug out, I even took the recoil apart and lubed it up to try and make it better but it did nothing. When I took it back. The dealer doesn't seem to think there's a problem, he just tells me these are always hard to pull. There's not a lot in the recoil assembly to make it this hard to pull, I would think the pulley would explode or the rope would break.
Keep in mind that I can turn this motor over with my fingers with the rcoil off, the compression doesn't seem that high. But if I put a socket on the crank nut, wrap a rope around the socket, it pulls about as hard as with the recoil. Its definitely got to do with this thing just not having a large enough recoil pulley. My guess is they kept the recoil pulley tiny to allow more air in through the side around the recoil. In comparison, my 029 Farm Boss pulls easy, my 036 Pro pulls pretty hard without the compression release, but not nearly as hard as this MS250.
After seeing all the posts here and on other forums about the MS250 being hard to pull, I'm not optimistic there's a fix for this other than swapping in a recoil and flywheel from an MS250C.
I tried putting a foot through the handle and standing on it to start it but my foot don't fit in the handle, even with light shoes. Forget it with a boot on.
Putting the bar in the vise on my back bumper has been the best way but I've already broken one D handle, and the bar is getting pretty rough looking from being in the vise. The dealer told me he'd give me what I paid for it toward a pro saw if I pay full price for the pro saw. I think I'll do better just selling this outright to someone who doesn't mind fighting with it. The problem is I don't really see a pro saw in this size? I was looking at the MS201C, but he tells me its not really a 'pro' model, its more of a farm model? It pulls a lot easier, but so did the MS250 when I first got it.
I wish they made a comparable all metal pro style saw with a compression release in this size.

Perhaps the dealer will allow a trade up to a MS251C. That's what I have, and it is equipped wtth an easy-start spring drvice that assists the pull and won't tear your arm off. Just a thought. I'm rather surprised he hasn't already offered that possibility.

Sounds like your dealer doesn’t know what they are talking about on multiple levels. Must have passed the silver class though. Find a legit dealer.

Perhaps the dealer will allow a trade up to a MS251C. That's what I have, and it is equipped wtth an easy-start spring drvice that assists the pull and won't tear your arm off. Just a thought. I'm rather surprised he hasn't already offered that possibility.
Why not just order the "easy start' and fit it himself? Hardly worth changing saws over.. I think something is not right besides an easystart system. A 6"4 guy with a shed full of saws 'should' have no issue starting a homeowner/farm Stihl saw.

The dealer choices are a couple of hardware stores, a JD dealer about 50 miles away, and this guy. The reason I bought where I did is because he's cheaper. There's no price break at JD or the hardware store.
I listed the saw and have a guy coming to look at it this afternoon. I listed it for $25 under what they sell for retail. If I get that I'll come out a few dollars ahead for all my trouble.
I also will keep the case, spare chains, and box of spare plugs I bought with it, they'll likely fit whatever I buy next.

When I go to the Stihl webpage, they also list the MS201C as a farm and ranch model saw?
The smallest 'Pro' saw is the MS261.

Hard to believe that stihl #1 seller has this problem. I got a feeling there’s something being missed on diagnosing the problem. That’s really nice of you to sell it off to someone else so they can have the problem...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They just pull hard, if you pull it like you stole it. It will crank, you cant baby those 250s. We have trouble with older folks and some that really don't need a chainsaw. The guys that run a saw all the time don't have any trouble with them. Call your Stihl rep. he will most likely trade the saw out for you. I cant believe you dealer hasn't made things right with you. We trade out saws all the time.

I just put a couple of 250's together, And yes, they are hard to pull over for their displacement. It's the small diameter recoil pulley.

Stihl made a lot of compromises on this saw to save weight, and together with some plain bad engineering, you get this result.

Comparison of two pulleys, the Stihl on the right and a poulan 25da (34CC) on the left. Kind of speaks for itself doesn't it?

IMG_20200110_115836.jpg

Mine floods easily. If you prime it and then choke pull it more than once, it floods. When cold, I never wait to hear a pop to take it off choke. Prime and then pull only once on choke. After that one choke pull, I take it off choke and it will start and run. That's rather finicky in my book. I live with it.
Have 2 025 saws and they both will flood if you choke more than that one pull (sometimes I don't choke at all) One has a new OEM carb and acts the same as the other I bought them used but they look PURDY and new but after flooding them a few times you remember the contankerous contrariness when you get ready to start it.

There is no problem getting it to start, and its never 'kicked back'. I pull the lever all the way down, pull it once or twice till it barks once, then I flip the lever up one position and it runs. Once it runs it runs fine, its light and cuts great. The problem is getting it to pull in the first place.

I would have bought the MS261 but its a larger saw, I was after a smaller saw for lighter work. The fact that the MS250 was on sale for $220 also helped make my decision. I walked into the dealer with the idea of spending $500 - $600. They talked me into the MS250 when I said the 170 was smaller than what I had in mind. All I wanted was a good all around saw that I didn't mind leaving in the truck. Something light, easy to start that would run when I needed it to.
MS251? is a different critter some of the hedge cutters like around here.. still a homeowners version. Not an upgraded MS250 it is built very different.

Why not just order the "easy start' and fit it himself? Hardly worth changing saws over.. I think something is not right besides an easystart system. A 6"4 guy with a shed full of saws 'should' have no issue starting a homeowner/farm Stihl saw.
I was thinking about that but I'm not sure it would fit right on. Likely it would, but I hate recommending something I'm not sure of. You have to wonder if Stihl dealers have actually done that on occasion when something like this crops up. :rolleyes:

Its gone, the guy who emailed me first took it. He showed up with cash, saw that it ran and gave me my asking price. He picked up the saw, set it down on the ground and started it right up. He grinned when he felt how hard it pulled like that was a good thing. He shut it off, handed me cash and left.
He got basically a brand new saw for $50 less than he could have bought one at the store for right now.
Not sure what I'll replace it with, but I have other saws, although all are larger. (Of course, I've got a minty clean Stihl case and several new chains for a mid size Stihl saw here now).
I was thinking maybe trying an Echo saw but I really don't like he idea of he primer bulb on a saw. Those things never last.

Back