Stihl 064 carb mounting question???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welp i got the right boot now but.. tried your combination among everyother combination.still cant get it to seal right there between the boot and carb. i know cause im spraying carb cleaner right there and it powers down the saw. retested pressure and vacuum on the seals just in case and theyre all good. just cant get the carb adjusted quite right with that leak. takes two and half turn on the low end. it just doesnt fit right for some reason.

i am working on the same thing now. a big box of parts , some of it 066 parts in there too.so far i put 1 small gasket there!

Did you try it in that order. I've got the same setup, dont have a problem with mine. I've got to look in my parts bin. Seems like I remember 2 gaskets, might be mistaken though. I'll take a look at mine in the mornin.

yep. i got the fatter lip boot in there, but that shim just doesnt fit right. it cuts into the boot and doesnt seat right. but when the boots out its fine. somethings binding somewhere.

yep. i got the fatter lip boot in there, but that shim just doesnt fit right. it cuts into the boot and doesnt seat right. but when the boots out its fine. somethings binding somewhere.

If you have the later style airbox, it will bind up the early style boot with the thicker lip and not seal correctly. You can use the later style airbox with the early boot but you have to do some grinding on the insides of the opening.

ah jez that sounds right. ill give it another shot tomorrow.

btw how do you remove the airbox with plastic rivets? can i screw a new one in?

ah jez that sounds right. ill give it another shot tomorrow.

btw how do you remove the airbox with plastic rivets? can i screw a new one in?

If you have the tank/airbox assembly with the plastic rivets then it's likely that you have the early airbox. Those aren't easily serviced as they
didn't mold those with enough meat to install screws. Some guys have drilled them out and then installed longer screws but that causes
sealing problems for the tank.

http://************/threads/early-064-build.6631/
been reading this thread. its was helpful.

Looking at your picture, I would say you have an airbox/intake boot mismatch. Try just installing the carb with nothing else in or on the boot
(no flanges or sealing rings) and see if that works. I think that style of airbox is molded in such a way that it supports the intake boot on its' own.

i guess the thickness of the boot is what matters? i ordered both an early and later style boot via fleabay but maybe there was a mistake.

i think i tried that already, when i screw down the cover, for the hd filter, i think theres alittle abit of wiggle room along the studs.
but ill try it again tomorrow.

I've been studying the 064 manual and IPL and can't figure this out. There was a change up on the intake boot and carb sealing at some point, but they aren't clear about it.

I'm trying to put a saw together out of a pile of basket cases and I believe I'm using the early intake boot. Here's a pic of the one I'm using. The rubber "face" is larger on this one.

IMG_3724.jpg

Does it just use this plate with the gasket to go against the carb????...Or are there other parts used??

IMG_3725.jpg

This is other type (I think later style with the metal ring around the boot)....I'm not using this style.

IMG_3726.jpg

Photo bucket sucks pink kitty balls

think i got the boot problem solved. no leaks i believe. cut the mount into a plate.

but now the saw wont idle.
what does it mean when fuel keeps coming up the tank vent line?

Attachments

• 315B6ED2-637B-4DD8-A421-DA613F30CC2B.jpeg
    315B6ED2-637B-4DD8-A421-DA613F30CC2B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Back