Stihl 042 manuals request

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kernow-A

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just acquired an old Stihl 042AV that needs a bit of fettling, can anyone point me towards any downloadable workshop manuals to help me?

Thank you Ray, that's just what I was looking for - and in super quick time too.
Again, many thanks, Andy

Reviving an old thread. Can anyone give me a link to a downloadable service manual for an 042 AV? My old saw died, and I discovered the hard way (Stihl dealer) that the carb was no good Some time ago I found a NOS Walbro for the saw and is all together, but there are two things wrong. The trigger assembly accepts a crimped tube on the end of the coil wire to short it out and shut down the saw, but the plastic broke off long ago. I crimped a new piece of brass tubing to the wire and epoxied it in place, but I don't know how long this will last. I'd like the manual w/ parts list so that I can search for a new coil (the wire from the old one is losing its insulation), and trigger assembly. Thanks.

Reviving an old thread. Can anyone give me a link to a downloadable service manual for an 042 AV? My old saw died, and I discovered the hard way (Stihl dealer) that the carb was no good Some time ago I found a NOS Walbro for the saw and is all together, but there are two things wrong. The trigger assembly accepts a crimped tube on the end of the coil wire to short it out and shut down the saw, but the plastic broke off long ago. I crimped a new piece of brass tubing to the wire and epoxied it in place, but I don't know how long this will last. I'd like the manual w/ parts list so that I can search for a new coil (the wire from the old one is losing its insulation), and trigger assembly. Thanks.

Search 042 coil on ebay..there are a few in the 60$ range. I dont think there are any aftermarket coils for the 042.. And the trigger is 6$ on ebay but im not sure how a 042 is setup, so i dont know exactly what piece you are needing.

Search 042 coil on ebay..there are a few in the 60$ range. I dont think there are any aftermarket coils for the 042.. And the trigger is 6$ on ebay but im not sure how a 042 is setup, so i dont know exactly what piece you are needing.
I'll check for the coil, but i would like a part number so I can compare it to whats offered. I need the part that protrudes up thru the top cover. Move it to start (choke), run, and stop. It's not really the trigger, its what I call the run selector switch - but again, Stihl probably calls it something else.

Thanks for your reply.

Check your inbox

If your coil wire is fraying, just unscrew it and replace it rather than the old coil. As for an ipl, just look up “Stihl 042 ipl” and one will show up.
Thanks for the tip about the illustrated parts list. I did that and found one.

Re the 'coil wire'. I'm printing out Ray Benson's service manual and have not read it yet. The wire I am talking about comes from the coil area and clips into the "switch shaft", (this is the lever that moves from start to stop). Not sure where it originates right now, I'd have to pull the cover off the saw, but without delving deeper into the saw, I did not get the feeling that it unscrewed from the coil (if that is where it originates).

Back