Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Friday boys! I dunno if I’m gonna try and finish scrounging wood over the mountain, next town over or the wood around the corner or just split what I got at home. Figure I got all the time in the world to split so that’s last on the list. Figure preliminarily that I’ll get the wood that isn’t secured as “mine”. The owner has it open to all takers. But we’ll see what the morning brings. Anyone else have plans for wood tomorrow?

Happy Friday boys! I dunno if I’m gonna try and finish scrounging wood over the mountain, next town over or the wood around the corner or just split what I got at home. Figure I got all the time in the world to split so that’s last on the list. Figure preliminarily that I’ll get the wood that isn’t secured as “mine”. The owner has it open to all takers. But we’ll see what the morning brings. Anyone else have plans for wood tomorrow?
Happy happy to you too :cheers:.
I got about a 1/5 of our wood split and stacked today, the kids kicked butt moving it to the shed and stacking it :happy:. It was nice to get what I got done today because it was rounds that where near the group of 4 black locust that got blown over this summer in the wind storm. My wood pile was next to them and I had a row of wood holding the pile in that was up against them, there were quite a few in dirt and jammed under the trees, now I have a little path through there and can tarp the rest easily. All this was done just in the nick of time since we are supposed to get 1.5" of rain by morning, then 1/4 to 3/4" of freezing rain, then 3-4" of snow on top of that with 40-45mph winds, it could be a big mess here tomorrow. What do you think the chance is I'll get to run a saw this weekend :D.
Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 10.00.55 PM.png
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...MI1YCAz7X65gIVCY3ICh1IgQe4EAQYAiABEgJ1pPD_BwE

as you fellas have seen from the pics my splitters wedge is not on the ram so I’ve often day dreamed about having a slip over 4way. It’s no secret ASH splits like butter so I can’t imagine having much troubles. Thinking I can use a old plow blade to fabricate something slick up. What do you fellas think?
@merc_man any tips :hi:.

I still want a box splitter setup, that or to make a standard style huskee splitter wedge into a pusher and then weld a knife onto the end of the beam(after removing the foot to make it like yours) and build a nice table that detaches like a supersplit/or a Timberwolf. I need a pole building so I can get a welder and build things :yes:.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...MI1YCAz7X65gIVCY3ICh1IgQe4EAQYAiABEgJ1pPD_BwE

as you fellas have seen from the pics my splitters wedge is not on the ram so I’ve often day dreamed about having a slip over 4way. It’s no secret ASH splits like butter so I can’t imagine having much troubles. Thinking I can use a old plow blade to fabricate something slick up. What do you fellas think?
Heres some pics of a slip on wedge i just finished up today. I dont have much wood at home. Found a knoty chunknof oak to try butnit will work good on the ash that inusually cut. If you have a few tool, grinder and welder you can makenone pretty simple and much cheaper buying one. Most my materials were scrap from work.
0afac040b081e348af9116d6c6ab0b4f.jpg
a964aa95422805fd3bb1167753b3b471.jpg
a5ef9003796ad7c70464aaf3c66e5fec.jpg
abc1b425a15edcd5772933b97272ac44.jpg
aa3fb27453bdcac343b2c766edc89d62.jpg
6ba1db370f4c0b026c9004fb3fd95016.jpg
b573ca4ea8cc0ec4e116b2bb8c263f78.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Moved about 1/2 cord wood from shed to porch yesterday and today. Tried to beat the snow storm we have coming in. In the past I would wait until I was about out on the porch then have to use thesnow blower to make a path around the back of the house to haul across (shed on wrong end of house). This year I decided to keep the porch near full (holds 4.75 clord when full). Snow started about noon and I should have enough in there to last until the snow goes away about early March.

My old Stanley type heatilator (shroud around firebox) is very inefficient so it takes around 7 cord a season.

Snow started about noon and soon turned into a blizzard. Only got about 4" of very heavy wet snow so it wasn't moving after hitting the ground but I still wound up with drifts across the drive. Looks like I'll be on the blower tomorrow to clear the drive. Then out to the pasture to make a path for the rider mower&cart so I can move big chunks to the splitter. I still have around 6 cord still to split/pile, just finished cord 10.

All you Canadians NE of Michigan ready for this, you're gonna get dumped on it looks like.
It's been raining pretty hard here for an hour and a half already, it looks like it will be all snow on your side of the lake, break out the snow machines :happy:.
Just rain so far but they are calling for freezing rain/ice storm. Hopefully we get snow. The snow machine isn't getting any love sitting in the garage.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

All you Canadians NE of Michigan ready for this, you're gonna get dumped on it looks like.
It's been raining pretty hard here for an hour and a half already, it looks like it will be all snow on your side of the lake, break out the snow machines :happy:.
Were getting heavy rain now. We missed a lot of it. Looked like it stayed north of me but were in it now till about 4 am sunday

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Just started to switch over here, need to run to the farm and get a couple gallons of milk and take a Redbox movie back.

They downgraded the earlier predictions to 1/10 - 1/2" of ice 2-4" of snow and wind at 35mph.
With all the damage we had this summer the weakest trees already were taken out. We've already gotten an inch of rain, so the ground is pretty saturated so now the root systems and horizontal branches will be tested. My wife calls this natural pruning :chainsaw::lol:.

Back