Husqvarna 562xp life

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

status1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys,i was wondering what is the typical amount of hours do you see on a 562xp before a major failure? A friend of mine saw a box with 3 x 2014 562xps for sale , one has a failed crank bearing 180 hours, cylinder is scrap , second saw crank case is destroyed due to bolts coming loose, again cylinder is scrap 161 hours , last one has 125 hours and has had piston damage and scrap cylinder, ring retaining pin failed and crank bearings destroyed.

There a pro saw, 562s do great in a pros hands. I have rebuild many with 600 to 800 hours of run time. Some with over 5000 starts. Probably easily cut several million board feet.
Kept sharp with good fuel and maintenance they last...

They are a poor choice for wild land fire crews. Dull chains and heat will destroy them.

Fullskip

Saws live a tough life. Don't know how to use them properly & look after them right and they will fail. Not just quality of saw makes them last but the quality of the user too.
That's what i thought at first but what got me thinking was they all seemed to have roughly the same amount of hours which i thought may be to much of a coincidence if it was purely abuse that made them fail.

There a pro saw, 562s do great in a pros hands. I have rebuild many with 600 to 800 hours of run time. Some with over 5000 starts. Probably easily cut several million board feet.
Kept sharp with good fuel and maintenance they last...

They are a poor choice for wild land fire crews. Dull chains and heat will destroy them.

Fullskip
800 hours from a well maintained pro saw is not very impressive IMHO.

(I don't think so, he said 2 out of the 3 saw had the crank bearing cage missing and the balls were lose)
see a lot of that on newer 372xpt's with nylon cages, good part is the nylon isn't quite as destructive on the p&c etc. but guys just generally don't know when to shut them down and keep running them causing a lot more damage.

My 562xp came to me completely destroyed.

Both pto and flywheel side bearings had falied. The trash from the bearings went up and into the transfers and took out the top end..

The saw came with the bar, I should take a picture of it. There was chunks missing out of the rails and both sides were blue 1/2" down for the whole length. Chain was so dull you could probably run it over your arm with no damage.

That was clearly operator abuse . The saw was 4 years old when I got it.

I built that saw a year ago and have been running it as my primary saw ever since.

I'll let you know when and if it blows up but I think that will be a long time from now.

I had to reboot one of the 3 saws I built in order to match the carb/computer/coil. The diagnostics said it had 700 something hours on it. You've got me curious now so I may bite the bullet sometime and see how many hours are on the one Ive been using for well over a year now cutting timber.

I had to reboot one of the 3 saws I built in order to match the carb/computer/coil. The diagnostics said it had 700 something hours on it. You've got me curious now so I may bite the bullet sometime and see how many hours are on the one Ive been using for well over a year now cutting timber.
What year are they?

Would be interesting to know how many hours you see them fail with, like the OP was asking about. Since you infer you have.
Average life span of a 562xp in the forest is about 6 months so around 400 hours, they used to get 1.5 years out of the 357xp. I fixed a 562xp for a buddy of mine that had only 37 hours on it and the piston ring pin came lose and destroyed the P/C, it wasn't used commercially so it was out of warranty, needless to say he was not happy!

Example, on my ‘80’s Husqvarna saws, two 2100’s, a 266se, a 240sg lasted till around 2002. Never touched them, I sold four perfectly running saws like new, I averaged cutting about 50+ cords a year. But I ran the 40:1 Xp husky oil at 38:1 mix.
Running the correct brand of the manufacturers two stroke oil. They ran better than the energizer bunny. I didn’t baby them, I’m an animal when I cut.

I’m very strict about maintenance and using the saws manufacturers two stroke oil.
There’s a lot of factors why the saws don’t last. The saws like the dirtbikes one must consider why they stopped running first. If not then the crank bearings, crank seals, gaskets, piston, cylinder, rings must be replaced. I noticed on any two stroke assembled case the old crank bearings seem to have no play. You think there good till you split the case. Then they show looseness in them. Since it’s apart to the case anyway for the cost of bearings, seals, gaskets why not do the case right. If the crank is good you end up with a new saw.

800 hours from a well maintained pro saw is not very impressive IMHO.

Exactly...thats what scares me about the new husqvarnas..
Average life span of a 562xp in the forest is about 6 months so around 400 hours, they used to get 1.5 years out of the 357xp. I fixed a 562xp for a buddy of mine that had only 37 hours on it and the piston ring pin came lose and destroyed the P/C, it wasn't used commercially so it was out of warranty, needless to say he was not happy!

Do you know the average lifespan for the average stihl in the woods? Just curious...i would say the 362 lifespan since its the closest to the 562 but we all know its garbage. But id imagine its better than 6 months lol.

Im guessing the average stihl lasts alot longer than the average husqvarna.. I dont own a repair shop so i wouldnt know the numbers but in my 14 years of running them 2-300 days out of the year id say the stihl def wins in reliability.

Stihl def wins in reliability.

Depends on the model, making a blanket statement like that is silly. Plenty of Stihl models, like the 362, have had of their own problems, it happens, how the manufacture deals with it is what matters. Husqvarna did not handle the 550 and 562 debacle well at all.

The 562 and 550 were total garbage early on and have gone through many improvements. The 550 has actually been totally redesigned. While many say the newest 562's are now reliable I have my doubts, it's just not that robust of a design, and it still has a hard time dealing with heat properly. Fact is the 550 and 562 were/are flawed designs IMHO. The new 572 is so far proving to be extremely reliable and durable.

Latest posts

Back