Looking at either a Stihl 462 or 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently have a Stihl 441RCM running a 25" bar that is about 7 years old. No major issues at all with it, except if you put it down while idling and pick it up, it will die but always starts right back up, doesn't happen everytime. Not checked that out yet but guessing something is out of alignment and needs adjusting. We cut wood mainly to heat house and water all year round, it's an old farm house. We do sell some, just bundles and not all that much. May start selling by bigger amounts since we have lots of ash to clean up and don't want to see it go to waste.

I am thinking about replacing it with either a 462 or 500i. I know the 500i is not available in the states yet, think I read spring time somewhere. Do I "need" to replace it? No, but figured maybe upgrade while the 441 still has value. I thought about the 461 as well but but it is heavier than the 462. Weight would be another reason for upgrading, the 441 can get a little heavy.

I don't need to do something right now so could wait for the 500i but not sure it is worth it in my situation. Plus not sure I would like the price tag on it. I know alot of people rave about the 500i. I also don't run a saw everyday or all day.

I talked to my local stihl dealer and they have the 462 between $1100 and $1200, they have the 461 for about $1000. Forgot to ask them about the 500i. The 441 I have now is the RCM model, which has the dual larger dawgs, larger cluth cover, full wrap handle. The dealer says they don't have that version in the 462. Can you get the 462 with the larger clutch cover? Don't really need the full wrap handle or even the larger dawgs but that is nice but would not mind having the larger clutch cover.

What about the value of my 441RCM? It is in good shape, been well taken care of, always ran ethanol free gas along with the stihl ultra oil in the gray bottle at 50:1 mix.

Not sure if I would be able to use the chains I have now on either the 462 or the 500i, will have to check that out and see what the new one uses. Whatever I decide to get, I would more than likely stay with 25", haven't really had a "need" for anything bigger than that.

We also have a Stihl 261CM.

Did Rural King stop selling Stihl saws? Went to their website and no Stihls listed. That is where I bought the 441. Is there a reason they stopped selling them?

There's a used 500i for sale on 0PEforum.com you will have to replace the zero with an O. Can't type the real name on here because it's censored.

Ty all for the help. Right now I am leaning towards the 462 because of the price and more readily available. Not sure if I want the new fuel injection technology especially since they have already been recalled once, although can't recall for what. And I know fuel injection is not new, been on the cutoff saws for a while so I am sure the system is proven. But maybe it is a whole different ballgame on chainsaws for whatever reason, not sure about that though although wouldn't think so. Maybe this has been discussed before, will do a search on it but how much better is the fuel consumption with this 500i fuel injection compared to the mtronic saws? I am sure it is better, but is it a night and day difference?

I don't "need" to buy a saw right now, could wait until the 500i comes out and see what happens with the prices. My problem is when I start thinking about doing something, I don't want to wait lol.

I have been more than happy with the 441 so I am sure with whatever I get, I will be even more pleased with it. Will probably stick with a 25" for now, may get a 28" in the future. Although may be better off getting a 28" when I buy the saw, it is only $10 more than the 25". There are times where a longer bar would have been nice. Will also have to decide if I want to get the RCM version or if my dealer can even get it.

And rural king still sells stihls. Just had to go through stihls website to find them on rural king. Why do they do it like that? Why can't you just go to rural kings website and find them? And they are the same price for the CM version. Rural king doesn't carry the RCM version either.

If I decide to go through with this now, where would be the best place to advertise my 441?

I have not bought anything yet, waiting to sell my 441.

Does anyone know for sure if the 462 RCM version comes with the HO oiler? I asked my dealer what the RCM version comes with and he couldn't really tell me a whole lot, didn't know that existed. If it doesn't come with the HO oiler, then I see no need to get the RCM version. Never did really use the wrap handle on my 441rcm. The larger dual dawgs are nice but not absolutely needed. Can those larger dawgs be added to the CM version?

I could wait for the 500i, which I heard July. But I got a feeling, will not like the price tag on it. And the dealer said normally they don't lower prices on older versions, they just discontinue them.

Thanks all for the help

I have not bought anything yet, waiting to sell my 441.

Does anyone know for sure if the 462 RCM version comes with the HO oiler? I asked my dealer what the RCM version comes with and he couldn't really tell me a whole lot, didn't know that existed. If it doesn't come with the HO oiler, then I see no need to get the RCM version. Never did really use the wrap handle on my 441rcm. The larger dual dawgs are nice but not absolutely needed. Can those larger dawgs be added to the CM version?

I could wait for the 500i, which I heard July. But I got a feeling, will not like the price tag on it. And the dealer said normally they don't lower prices on older versions, they just discontinue them.

Thanks all for the help

You can put larger felling spikes on the regular-handled version. Any spikes that fit an 044/440, 064/066/660/661 will fit the 462. Spikes for a 046/460/461 are different.

Still haven't bought a new saw yet. Considering the 500i, local dealer has a shelf price of 1329 for the standard model with 25" bar and has them in stock. R model is backordered, not really considering that. How is the AV system on the 500i?
One thing I thought about, the fuel injection system has been on cutoff saws for many years. Why did it take so long to bring this tech to chainsaws?

Still haven't bought a new saw yet. Considering the 500i, local dealer has a shelf price of 1329 for the standard model with 25" bar and has them in stock. R model is backordered, not really considering that. How is the AV system on the 500i?
One thing I thought about, the fuel injection system has been on cutoff saws for many years. Why did it take so long to bring this tech to chainsaws?
All the new generation saws are fairly comfortable to use.
So will agree. Some won’t.
Why it took so long is anyone’s guess.
My distributor didn’t know or were told to keep quiet.

Did you buy a new saw yet lol.

Back