288 XP...... let the adventures begin.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking really good Bob! I worked on mine over the holidays too and managed to finish it, all OEM except for the Meteor piston:
20200101_090234_resized.jpg 20200101_090240_resized.jpg

I haven't got any photos of it complete as it has a very scuffed high top on it at the moment and I'm waiting on a brand new lowtop (which I much prefer) to come in for it. I've run a couple of tanks through it (8 pin rim, 20 inch bar and full chisel Husky chain) and it cuts SO fast! Now building my next one with another two to go on top of that.

Hight top and HD felt filter is the only way I would do it.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

There was a pretty good looking 288XP high top sold a week ago on that famous NZ auction site for $330 and it had a 22"Power Match bar and chain. If I did not have the one I have now, I would have bought that one at the drop of a hat.
Keep your eyes peeled. ;)

Yeah ok sounds like a go then. Wish meteor would get into McCulloch cylinders.

That's pretty darn cheap really and definitely the way to go. Hard to spend a big lump on a saw I don't Reeeeealy need (according to the wife anyway) hence the junker for cheap and chip away at it with firewood money she never even see's but yeah you're right probably worth the cold shoulder and a meal out hahaha. Wives eh

Wicked man love that saw and love that bar too. We're lucky with sugi bars over here

That tree was in the road of a gold mining operation just up the road a bit- was dug/pushed over and dragged to the hedge- full of dirt and stones. :mad:
There are a lot of teeth to file on a full comp 36"loop! :cry:

That tree was in the road of a gold mining operation just up the road a bit- was dug/pushed over and dragged to the hedge- full of dirt and stones. :mad:
There are a lot of teeth to file on a full comp 36"loop! :cry:

Awww noooo semi or chisel? I've got full comp on a 32 and yeah its enough for me haha get a dead arm when done with it after a stone lol not soo bad if just touching up though. Do you run any skip? Seems hard to get here especially in 050 I gave up and went full comp after ringing saw shops all over the country

Awww noooo semi or chisel? I've got full comp on a 32 and yeah its enough for me haha get a dead arm when done with it after a stone lol not soo bad if just touching up though. Do you run any skip? Seems hard to get here especially in 050 I gave up and went full comp after ringing saw shops all over the country

Full comp full chisel....... all 36 inches of it. :laugh:
Was going to go skip and then thought- stuff it, lets see what it will pull. Didn't bat an eyelid at that dead Macrocarpa full bar buried.
0.050? Wouldn't be bothered with it past 20"and none of my 3/8 saws run it, so have not needed to look. You will possibly find it, but in one of those "high quality professional"chains that have wonderful names like Longer or Hurricane......... :surprised3:

Full comp full chisel....... all 36 inches of it. :laugh:
Was going to go skip and then thought- stuff it, lets see what it will pull. Didn't bat an eyelid at that dead Macrocarpa full bar buried.
0.050? Wouldn't be bothered with it past 20"and none of my 3/8 saws run it, so have not needed to look. You will possibly find it, but in one of those "high quality professional"chains that have wonderful names like Longer or Hurricane......... :surprised3:

Yeah wicked man gota get me 1 of these things what a beast.

Yeah alot off the old mac bars are 050 and it's a lovely speed tip bar so grabbed it 32 feels huge to me lol from 24.

Plenty of 050 skip in the states just not here. As it turns out the old 800 pulls a 32 full comp just fine in macro

Bought my 288 locked up and put a meteor piston/cylinder in it. Quality was fine.

Great job Bob! Looks great!

Cheers. They are a surprising package for what might be considered old technology. :)
What bar/chain combo's are you running on yours?
Hightop- or lowtop?
Mainly hardwood or softwood?

Cheers. They are a surprising package for what might be considered old technology. :)
What bar/chain combo's are you running on yours?
Hightop- or lowtop?
Mainly hardwood or softwood?

I have both a high top and low top but I run it with the low top. I mainly run a 32" bar. Typically full chisel stihl chain. Cutting mostly hardwood oak, maple, elm, etc. I have gotten into some big 4'-5' wood and it works well.

When I bought it the reason it was locked up is someone tried to stop the piston to pull the clutch and got some rope and a dowel caught in the cylinder. Had to hammer the piston off and the threads for the plug were a tich buggered. Didn't have a chase big enough to clean them so I went with the meteor kit. Replaced the oil pump, couple of crank seals, new fuel and impulse line. She runs good. Got a chase since and cleaned up the old mahle cylinder so I got an extra sitting there if I need it. Plus I found a decent parts saw with a cracked case.

Have a guy in town who wants it but I have to make up my mind if I am going to sell it. Just sold my 372 and bought a 572 that I have yet to run. Probably run the 572 for twenty tanks and make a decision from there.

Back