Rebuilding a saw then shelvling it before running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all I have two saw I just finished putting jugs and pistons in. I was going tonrun them today but the weather it bad. I head out tonight to go work out of town for a month or so. I oiled the up good when I assembled them. Will it be a problem if they sit. The thay not been fired yet

Good question. I like to hear the old saws run so mine usually have fuel in them. I think that I will fire it up again and then it sets. Weeks turn into years. When it has been sitting a long time I dump the fuel. ( i use non ethanol ) I pull the spark plug drop a few drops of oil down the cylinder and gently pull it over a few times. I am hoping this may help if there is any corrosion from sitting on the cylinder and rings. Maybe this will get a little oil around the bearings and seals. I do live in a dry climate which helps. I have no idea it it really works. It just makes me feel better for having not stored it properly.

I though about spraying some fogging oil down the plug hole. I was hoping I could run it but we have a ice storm outside and I leave tonight

I pre lubed my 2100 and didn’t start it for over a month. She started fine. The only thing if it sits for too long I’m not sure if the center case gasket will hold up. Like I said I’m not sure.

I pre lubed my 2100 and didn’t start it for over a month. She started fine. The only thing if it sits for too long I’m not sure if the center case gasket will hold up. Like I said I’m not sure.
It’ll be fine if stored in a dry place, off of the concrete floor!

Just run it in the living room for a few minutes while your wife is trying to watch Wheel of Fartune. (Not given as advice. Spelling error accidental, but deliberately left.)

For a assembly pre lube I moly up the piston and cylinder. I oil the seals.
Once it’s assembled I oil up the rod bearings, crank bearings, cylinder with husky Xperia’s+ oil. I don’t use mix for prelube.

Back