028 Basket Case - Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob95065

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A friend told me he took his dad's 028WB to a hardware store thst is also a Stihl dealer and repair shop. The saw was stored for a long time and wouldn't start. They called him and told him parts weren't availible and they couldn't fix it. The saw he gave them in one peice was returned in a box completely disassembled.

I dont understand why they had to take the clutch springs off and completely disassemble the recoil starter but they did. If they could remove a fastner they did it.

Does anyone have an IPL and service manual for this saw? I have most of the bag of screws figured out but I want to be sure.

20200111_113653.jpg 20200111_113647.jpg

Did they invoice you for the disassembly?
If not that was nice of them to have cleaned it up for you.
Maybe they used it as a demo in a chainsaw repair course and should reimburse you accordingly.

It isn't my saw.

My friend was charged $40. They told him the Tillotson carb was no good and had to be replaced with a Walbro. Crazy talk. There was a list of parts to replace that they said are NLA.

The piston isn't scored and the cylinder looks good. I pulled the cylinder off the crankcase. The piston has evidence of leaking rings from the dark stains below them. I'll re-ring it, new rubber everything (crank seals, fuel line and filter, impulse line, carb boot, etc.), base gasket, carb kit, air filter, etc. It will run like new.

I hate to see a decent saw scrapped due to inexperience. This isn't the first time I've seen this from these guys too.

Latest posts

Back