Drill bit versus Chainsaw Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The husky saw studs are 9.5 mm while the Stihl saw studs are 10 mm , Stihl pro is 12.5 mm I believe. The carbide burrs should cut it. Take half the dimentions off each side. You can buy carbide drill bits for the oil hole if need be.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...54f3341de6d0d70b88256e0e001fda90?OpenDocument

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...980fb87c02a98a5088256e0e001fee75?OpenDocument

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...8358984ddb7b31d488256e0e0020367d?OpenDocument

Or check the charts here.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...e39f46cf37dbe4a088256e0d0051dd49?OpenDocument

I just purchased a hd drill press with a good milling table setting up my shop again

Well I got the Tsumura bar adjusters drilled out with a cobalt drill bit.

Clamped the bar down and used oil. The first hole went super easy. The second hole was going great and it stopped dead about halfway through. Had one hell of a time with the last half but got it done.

I don’t know if I got too heavy handed or what on the second hole.

Well I got the Tsumura bar adjusters drilled out with a cobalt drill bit.

Clamped the bar down and used oil. The first hole went super easy. The second hole was going great and it stopped dead about halfway through. Had one hell of a time with the last half bit got it done.

I don’t know if I got too heavy handed or what on the second hole.
That’s why I recommended a carbide burr. All drill bits aren’t created equal, and sometimes you don’t get what you pay for

Can anyone recommend a style/brand of drill bit that is actually harder than the steel in a saw bar? I am converting all of my large mount saws to Stihl mount through the use of Homelite410 bar adaptors but need to drill out the adjuster holes on the Stihl mount bars to accept the larger Homelite and Poulan bar adjuster pegs. I have been using a chain file but that is slow and imperfect. I do not have any sort of grinding tool at home but I do have a drill press. The basic hardware store drill bits I have do not do much versus the hard steel in a bar!
If You still need to drill some of Your bars and are in no big rush I am certain we can come to an arrangement for me to send You some metric Solid-Carbide drill bits.

PM me if You are interested, if not ignore this post. ;)

Just a friendly offer. :)

If You still need to drill some of Your bars and are in no big rush I am certain we can come to an arrangement for me to send You some metric Solid-Carbide drill bits.

PM me if You are interested, if not ignore this post. ;)

Just a friendly offer. :)
Definitely interested! However shipping might be a killer? If I need to wreck a 7 dollar drill bit for each bar that’s not a huge deal though either.

Definitely interested! However shipping might be a killer? If I need to wreck a 7 dollar drill bit for each bar that’s not a huge deal though either.
Shipping small packages TO the US is much more forgiving than getting an identical package shipped from the US to Croatia.
A few drill bits will ship for 15-20$ with tracking number.

You said You have a drill press.
If You can clamp the bar(s) down firmly and center the existing hole precisely under the drill axis You may not wreck a single Solid-Carbide drill bit - they are tough if used properly.
The bigger the difference in existing hole diameter and desired hole diameter the better, it'll keep the tip and flutes of Solid-Carbide drill bits from chipping.

Cost efficiency also depends on how many more bars You need to drill.
If You have one or two more bars to drill - wreck 7$ HSS(Co) drill bits.
If You have ten more bars - I would like to help You out with some high quality drill bits, that is if You can endure the wait for shipping duration which tends to be anywhere between 7-21 days.

Cheers

Buy one carbide drill the size you need. We drill out broken taps with carbide drills.

I bartered a pawn shop 575 husky saw ($150) for a bux mag base drill. Putting my shop back together one tool at a time.

Back