Held an 880 magnum yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Stihl dealership I used to work at had one with a 59” bar thing was huge
That 880 with that puny under 60" bar is a lil cutie, try an 090g with 96" bar and that 122cc Stihl will seem like a sports car. Or try my Titan ER Twin with 11 foot bar which weighs more than two of those 090g's with 8 foot long bar.

I have a 880 and have a desire for another. Here in the PNW we have some trees that could make use of the big girls. I use mine for stump cutting or milling mainly. The 661 wears the 36” and anything larger goes to the 880 with the 41” or 72” bar. Some of these maple stumps out here could dang near bury that 72” bar...41” is much more limber though. The ol girl has been ported and I even polished the aluminum muffler all pretty because I like things like that;) I do agree you have to hold one in your hand to appreciate the size of them. Then with a ported cylinder and muffler they sound like a dirt bike. Fire it up cold and it pings and bangs and rocks around with a 41” bar like it’s not even there. Musical stuff! Yeah yeah a hot 90cc is faster for bucking yada yada, you don’t appreciate this saw until you bury a big bar and lean on it and it grunts and then begs for more. Animal...
5F7E820C-2CA9-4847-9641-1AEE1846C7EF.jpeg 62078A47-CFA2-4172-B2C2-4017855E95B5.jpeg 94422597-5A21-421F-AE5B-A3CD25F8CB25.jpeg E6433A3F-9428-48E5-BD4F-C78311996838.jpeg 480A14A1-88B5-446B-9D9A-02082D6704AF.jpeg

Not really anything down here in the southeast a 660 or husqvarna equivalent wont handle...would make a nice conversation piece i reckon.

Not really anything down here in the southeast a 660 or husqvarna equivalent wont handle...would make a nice conversation piece i reckon.
Had a 7’ Live Oak after Hurricane Ivan. A true beast of a tree.
That’s how I justify having one.
Doesn’t take much of an excuse with me.

Had a 7’ Live Oak after Hurricane Ivan. A true beast of a tree.
That’s how I justify having one.
Doesn’t take much of an excuse with me.

Haha same here on the excuse part... And yeah there have been the occasional beast where a 088/880 would have been handy but the 660 knocked her down. This is the average size "bigger" tree here.IMG_20180315_130301.jpg

Haha same here on the excuse part... And yeah there have been the occasional beast where a 088/880 would have been handy but the 660 knocked her down. This is the average size "bigger" tree here.View attachment 787717
Oh to have had that equipment......tree was in a back yard. All had to be hauled out.

I have one I bought new in 2014 . I had an 075 I was running a 41 inch bar on every time I needed it it seemed like I had to fix something on it . I ended up selling it I didn't use it that much anyways them on day a storm came though and on my in laws farm a huge oak came down .I told my wife I didn't have a saw big enough anymore to cut it up the in laws called a tree service and it was going to be expensive for them just to cut it up . So my wife said why don't you buy a saw big enough to cut it up I am a stihl guy so I was looking at a new Ms 880 she said go buy it and the next time we have a big tree come down we will have a saw big enough to cut it. I have only ran 2 or 3 tanks of fuel though it it has been a shelf queen ever since I try to start it a few time a year . I got a workout running that saw .

Oh to have had that equipment......tree was in a back yard. All had to be hauled out.

Ive learned to just go ahead and spend the time and take the fence down and if you got to be careful of yard damage then out comes the plywood.. Yeah it sucks when its a 20-30 sheet run but is better than the alternative.

The only way I'd ever own one is if it were a dedicated milling machine. It's just way too heavy to get any kind of regular use out of. I'd rather invest in a smaller saw that would actually get used more, even if I'd have to cut from both sides in order to get through a bigger tree.
Kinda the equivalent of a guy making one knife a year investing in $30k worth of blacksmithing tools when he coulda got by with a hammer and piece of RR track.

Haha same here on the excuse part... And yeah there have been the occasional beast where a 088/880 would have been handy but the 660 knocked her down. This is the average size "bigger" tree here.View attachment 787717

Here is another pic that shows the scale better..she really was a beast. It was either a 2 or 3 day job, everything had to be roped. And the limbs were the size of trees.
IMG_20180315_121100.jpg

The only way I'd ever own one is if it were a dedicated milling machine. It's just way too heavy to get any kind of regular use out of. I'd rather invest in a smaller saw that would actually get used more, even if I'd have to cut from both sides in order to get through a bigger tree.
Kinda the equivalent of a guy making one knife a year investing in $30k worth of blacksmithing tools when he coulda got by with a hammer and piece of RR track.

You can put a smaller bar on it, and it becomes far more manageable. >90% of my cutting is with the tree(s) on the ground and the weight of the saw is not a factor, as most all of the weight is resting in the cut.

Latest posts

Back