Echo CS-370 VS CS-400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In timed cuts my muffler modded CS-370 was faster than a stock CS-400, both correctly tuned. The CS-400 was toting more bar, 16", vs the 14" on the CS-370, so that alone make them closer without any other changes.

I use my CS-370 at least twice a week here, and haven't yet been able to find a flaw in it's armor anyplace. They are a great bargain in a small limbing saw....IMHO.....Cliff

Sounds like you need to run a muff modded CS400, A guy at a saw job was using a MS250 to cut up slab wood as I sawed it and I let him use my muff modded CS400, the MS250 didn't get started again. This was thick WO slabs. Steve

Ok, I realize I'm getting overly pedantic about this...

I looked at the two saws' service info specs

Both saws share the same stroke,

So I'm interested to hear from anyone who's run identically set-up/modded CS370's and CS400's back-to-back and can comment on their respective personality & power delivery.

-Eric.

http://www.echo-usa.com/tomwin41/Techdata/cs-370.pdf
http://www.echo-usa.com/tomwin41/Techdata/cs-400.pdf

If nothing else thanks for the links as I haven't been able to find stuff like bore and stroke on echo website. are those files accessible by wandering around the echo site? I modified the address and got the ones for the 450 and it has a shorter stroke than these two.

Interesting to me is that the husqvarna 36/41 share the same bore and stroke but they choose to label the small one smaller and the big one bigger than echo.

If you go to the stihl site and look at the ms250 it has quite a bit more power than the smaller bore version.

Have you seen the thread of the insides of the new top handle cs-355t? Might make one want to wait and see if the rear handle saws get similar treatment.

I would be confident the smaller one of these two will pull a six tooth sprocket just fine.

That characteristic/personality of the two seems hard to get doesn't it.

If you go to the stihl site and look at the ms250 it has quite a bit more power than the smaller bore version. The MS250 is a 45cc saw, so should make more power than the 36cc and 40cc Echos. IIRC, it doesn't have a fully adjustable carb. I would buy a CS450 before I would buy a MS250

Have you seen the thread of the insides of the new top handle cs-355t? Might make one want to wait and see if the rear handle saws get similar treatment.I think the new CS352 is the rear handle version of the 355t.

I would be confident the smaller one of these two will pull a six tooth sprocket just fine.even the Echo CS300/301/305/306 30cc reed valve engines pulled a 6T 3/8 low pro spur sprocket

Have you seen the thread of the insides of the new top handle cs-355t? Might make one want to wait and see if the rear handle saws get similar treatment.I think the new CS352 is the rear handle version of the 355t.

same size engine as the cs310 rear handle, way way more power. the little cs310 is the only saw in the echo echo line-up i tell people to stay away from. g u t l e s s.

If you go to the stihl site and look at the ms250 it has quite a bit more power than the smaller bore version. The MS250 is a 45cc saw, so should make more power than the 36cc and 40cc Echos. IIRC, it doesn't have a fully adjustable carb. I would buy a CS450 before I would buy a MS250

I would be confident the smaller one of these two will pull a six tooth sprocket just fine.even the Echo CS300/301/305/306 30cc reed valve engines pulled a 6T 3/8 low pro spur sprocket

I have a 400 and 250 and the 400 cuts just as fast with a vx chain.

Point 1 was meant to compare two stihl saws with the same stroke as this thread 32mm and bores of 40 and 42.5 and the resulting differing power rating of 2.5 and 3.0 hp. 1.9 and 2.2 kw doesn't seem as impressive though. I am pretty sure the stihl one can be set up with a rim sprocket of seven tooth low profile.

Point 2 I think redshift42 likes longer strokes and the stuffed crank essentially closed port modern design still has a shorter stroke than these ones being discussed.

Point 3 exactly what diameter the carb forward case reed top handle can pull a six tooth just fine might be up for some discussion.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Pedantic is not an appropriate word for an arborist site but maybe I’m just being too concerned.
In hindsight I agree. It's a cry for help-- after being a stay-at-home dad for the past many months I'm overcompensating when trying to remember how grown-ups really talk.

Sounds like you need to run a muff modded CS400, A guy at a saw job was using a MS250 to cut up slab wood as I sawed it and I let him use my muff modded CS400, the MS250 didn't get started again... Steve
Well yeah ...then again, I need to run a 370 too.
My 370 was a HD clearance find, just a stripped powerhead; slowly I'm sourcing each replacement bit as I can find them cheaply enough to maintain the "what-a-great-deal!" status. For now I'm left to imagine how it'll run.
That's why I admitted to being pedantic about this. Internet forums are rich with guys lacking real-world experience while spouting/touting theoreticals as gospel-- I tried to not be That Guy. I was just hoping to hear some discussion about output & personality of these "same but different" engines. It's cool to compare the theoretical against the experience of those who've actually run the saws. (Tho' I'm a little disappointed w/ the results)

...the little cs310 is the only saw in the echo echo line-up i tell people to stay away from. g u t l e s s.
At the risk of running way off topic here, I just couldn't not comment on this...
I wonder if you had experience w/ a bum cs310, BrokenBudget. Last month I picked up one of these at a garage sale b/c it's price & condition was just too good to leave behind. I figured on flipping it on CL the next day, but after running it I'm having a hard time letting it go. There's now a half cord of 3-8" birch & alder in my driveway and I'd definitely not call the 310 gutless. It digs in and just plain cuts in a way surpassing what I'd expect from 30cc's (in fairness, I've replaced the chain). I keep reaching for the darn thing and the 026 is getting jealous.
With its displacement & compression advantage I'm sure the sibling cs352 kicks butt by comparison (probably even giving the cs370 a run for its money!), but I would not hesitate to recommend the little 310, especially given its price advantage.

Last edited:
And while I'm at it...

What's w/ all the new-in-box cs-400's on eBay?? Where are they coming from, was Home Depot giving them away at some point and nobody told me? It strikes me as doubly odd that there's typically more new 400's at any given time than all other small Echos combined. I want in on the wholesale supply!

In hindsight I agree. It's a cry for help-- after being a stay-at-home dad for the past many months I'm overcompensating when trying to remember how grown-ups really talk.

Well yeah ...then again, I need to run a 370 too.
My 370 was a HD clearance find, just a stripped powerhead; slowly I'm sourcing each replacement bit as I can find them cheaply enough to maintain the "what-a-great-deal!" status. For now I'm left to imagine how it'll run.
That's why I admitted to being pedantic about this. Internet forums are rich with guys lacking real-world experience while spouting/touting theoreticals as gospel-- I tried to not be That Guy. I was just hoping to hear some discussion about output & personality of these "same but different" engines. It's cool to compare the theoretical against the experience of those who've actually run the saws. (Tho' I'm a little disappointed w/ the results)

At the risk of running way off topic here, I just couldn't not comment on this...
I wonder if you had experience w/ a bum cs310, BrokenBudget. Last month I picked up one of these at a garage sale b/c it's price & condition was just too good to leave behind. I figured on flipping it on CL the next day, but after running it I'm having a hard time letting it go. There's now a half cord of 3-8" birch & alder in my driveway and I'd definitely not call the 310 gutless. It digs in and just plain cuts in a way surpassing what I'd expect from 30cc's (in fairness, I've replaced the chain). I keep reaching for the darn thing and the 026 is getting jealous.
With its displacement & compression advantage I'm sure the sibling cs352 kicks butt by comparison (probably even giving the cs370 a run for its money!), but I would not hesitate to recommend the little 310, especially given its price advantage.

i've personaly owned 2 both were tuned proerly and muffler moded. it didn't make any difference in power. over the last 2 years i sold them, i have had 6 or 7 come in for general maintinance or sharpenings etc.. they have had the same power as mine. or lack there of. not saying they are bad saws, but if you want the proper amount of power out of a 30cc saw, buy an ms170. same price, much more power. the ms170 does not have as good antivibe as the 310. for the extra few bucks, i tell people to buy the cs352. they run like this saw should.

Curious...if I already have a 501p and a 620pw, what's the best candidate for the bottom end of the scale? 352, 370, or 400? I'm replacing a 4218 (42cc) Poulan, which was my previous "general liming/cutting/handy saw because it runs well and is light". The 370 and 400 both weigh 10.1 lbs, which makes me think it's a toss up there. The 352 is quite a bit lighter at 8.8 pounds.

Which rounds out the trio the best?

ETA: I know it's an old thread, but hey, at least I used the search!

IF you want really light tuned with a muff modd the CS352 cuts really good for 33cc. The CS400 cuts quite a bit faster and only weighs 13# ready to cut which is still plenty light. Your CS501p on the same good balance scale weights 14 3/4# ready to cut so the CS400 is quite a bit lighter in real life use. Steve

I have a CS-370 with a zillion hours on it and it stays on the Quad and gets a work out around here. I even take it to Colorado every October for our annual Elk hunt and use it clear up at 10,000-12,000'. It's been flawless to date and has plenty of authority and best set-up with a 14" bar/3/8"LP set-up........IMHO. Of course at the same exact weight the CS-400 will have a touch more power, but really not a lot of difference between them that I've noticed........Cliff

Not overly fond of the MS-170, they need an adjustable carburetor for one thing.

All the little Echo's I've worked on respond nicely to removing the CAT and opening up the muffler just a tad. This includes the CS-330, CS-360, CS-370 and the CS-400.

No experience with the CS-310 and CS-352 and not even sure if they have a CAT in the muffler?.....

Back