Husqvarna 562xp life

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you felt the cylinder temperature difference between a 660 and a 661? His theory makes perfect sense to me. We have had a lot of over heating problems with the 661 on very hot 43C degree days (107F) (we don't use them on hot days anymore)and they need complete rebuilding every 2 years, were as the 660 we bought in 05 has had its first top end rebuild done four years ago and the bottom end hasn't ever been touched. Ask any one who has made a living from a saw for the last 20 years and the will all tell you the new saws just aren't as long lasting as the ones from 20 years ago.

Dont have 20 years under my belt but im close... And i agree. Anyone who disagrees has not been deep in the saw game.

Have you felt the cylinder temperature difference between a 660 and a 661? His theory makes perfect sense to me. We have had a lot of over heating problems with the 661 on very hot 43C degree days (107F) (we don't use them on hot days anymore)and they need complete rebuilding every 2 years, were as the 660 we bought in 05 has had its first top end rebuild done four years ago and the bottom end hasn't ever been touched. Ask any one who has made a living from a saw for the last 20 years and the will all tell you the new saws just aren't as long lasting as the ones from 20 years ago.
Just like cars and tires. I call bs.

Dont have 20 years under my belt but im close... And i agree. Anyone who disagrees has not been deep in the saw game.

Just agreeing about the newer stuff not being as reliable..dont have a clue about heatsoak, dont carry a temp gun w me to work..

Huh? Well drive your suzuki forenza on your telluride tires..
Kind of like old Quadra-jet vs modern fuel injection. Points and rotor vs electronic ignition? Bias-ply vs modern belted tires? Sure every mechanical piece of machinery can break down or go through engineering changes for improvement. You stay in the past, I prefer looking forward.

Kind of like old Quadra-jet vs modern fuel injection. Points and rotor vs electronic ignition? Bias-ply vs modern belted tires? Sure every mechanical piece of machinery can break down or go through engineering changes for improvement. You stay in the past, I prefer looking forward.

Ok your comment makes way more sense now. I thought you were implying that ALL cars are good and ALL tires are good.

You've actually misunderstood what 101 was saying. He was talking about the wild temperature swings do to unheated fresh air passing through the strato passages in the piston, this is true and can cause running issues in a cold engine. This is one reason both Stihl and Husqvarna is preheating the incoming charge by routing the charge almost directly under the exhaust port.

You're referring to actual engine temperature, this is mostly cause by higher power output, on the edge tuning, restricted exhausts and poor airflow around the cylinder do to these saws getting maybe too compact. These were all issues with the 550 and 562, all of which have been addressed with the 572 IMHO, it runs nice and cool compared to the 550, 562. Oddly the 576 never had the overheating issues the 550 and 562 had, that saw was big bulky and had good airflow for cooling an.

The 661 has had numerous updates and improvements, it was a severely flawed saw until the last year or so, there is a thread here by RedBull documenting all the upgraded parts that can be retrofitted to order models. Non of this has anything to do with the fact these saws are strato in design.

Your source of information is not sound, and your interpretation is flawed, do to your lack of understanding.

Stick around awhile, lots of info here, most of it's good, like anything you have to filter out the bad. Welcome to the forum BTW.[emoji111]

Just agreeing about the newer stuff not being as reliable..dont have a clue about heatsoak, dont carry a temp gun w me to work..
I also agree, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the saw being strato charge. Mostly lean tuning, too compact of design. Look at the 550 MKII they opened the saw up for better air flow. The original saw was too underbuilt and compact, combined with lean tuning and you could cook an egg on the top cover.[emoji111]

Early adopter of both the 562 and the 550. Sorry but neither saw has given me one whiff of trouble and I have beat the hell out of them.

I also agree, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the saw being strato charge.
Well, kinda. I look at it like this, if strato saws are roughly 30% more efficient, that’s 30% less mix that is going through the crank bearings. I suspect that’s mostly what is responsible for bearings not lasting, in addition to the heavier piston of course

Well, kinda. I look at it like this, if strato saws are roughly 30% more efficient, that’s 30% less mix that is going through the crank bearings. I suspect that’s mostly what is responsible for bearings not lasting, in addition to the heavier piston of course
I add 20% more oil, maybe that's why my stuff stays together?

I agree with that.

I think we can also agree better design would have helped prevent a lot of this. And if we looks at the non AT models that you can add more fuel with the turn of a screwdriver, all the overheating and bottom end problems diminished. And let's not forget it's not uncommon for new models to go through these types of problems, and let's not forget things like this have happened before. Look at the early 372's the 064, 10mm 044 they all had bearing problems of some type, yet these saws are well thought of. Heck the 066 top end was known to snap off at the base, so Stihl had to reinforce the base of the cylinder.

I'll also add, old school saws often had runs of a decade or longer, so the issues were often resolved in the first years of the mode. The old saws that are still around are obviously the ones that were built right, the saws that weren't, are gone and forgotten. There was some real garbage built back in the day too.

Back