Does anyone ever change their Stihl saws to EZ start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least on our market there isn't an ErgoStart/Easy2Start (C-E) saw larger than the MS251. ErgoStart adds about €50 to list price, which even on the pricey MS231 is a 10% premium and far more on smaller saws like the MS181.
Dealers have a lot of problems justifying the extra price because, well, it's basically a gimmick. Yes, sometimes my MS231 requires 7/8 pulls to start when it has been laid up for a few months but even with my dicky heart, bad neck and osteoarthritis I have no problems.
I also suspect a lot of people who buy C-E saws don't use them enough to wear the extra parts out, so there are probably tons of lightly used spares out there as new owners convert them to a standard starter and/or the saws die a very early death for being straight-bassed, run on old fuel, falling off the truck etc.

Yeah, it's the one where you pull three or four times and the spring unwinds and supposedly starts the saw for you. These will shortly become obsolete because those buyers are probably rushing out to buy the new battery powered saws. I'm not a big fan of these saws nor the battery ones, just wondering what to do with leftover parts. I think I now know...

I have a cheap easy start style saw that I give to young people I'm teaching to use saws. It's like 32cc, light, and real easy to handle. Easy to start even for the smaller ones that I doubt would be able to pull start a saw.

I'm not real interested in them myself...so I wouldn't change mine over to it.

Maybe when I'm real old or I have a serious shoulder injury....hopefully by that time, all saws are electric.

Yeah, it's the one where you pull three or four times and the spring unwinds and supposedly starts the saw for you. These will shortly become obsolete because those buyers are probably rushing out to buy the new battery powered saws. I'm not a big fan of these saws nor the battery ones, just wondering what to do with leftover parts. I think I now know...

I've never seen an easy start saw that requires 4 pulls before the spring unwinds and starts the saw...mine is 1 pull, but you don't yank on it. You just pull it slowly out and at the end of the rope it triggers and spins the crank.

I've never seen an easy start saw that requires 4 pulls before the spring unwinds and starts the saw...mine is 1 pull, but you don't yank on it. You just pull it slowly out and at the end of the rope it triggers and spins the crank.
I was merely guessing about the number of pulls required, never actually used one. My only involvement is removing it and replacing it with conventional parts..

The reason I asked is because I saved the parts in case I ever needed to change them back. So far nobody has wanted them changed back.. I guess if you don't have the stamina to start a saw you probably wouldn't have the stamina to use it...
List them over in the trading post. Ya never know who might need to replace theirs.

When you change them over do you use two or one starter pawls?
All or at least most of them consist of the starter assembly and flywheel. The last one, a ms181 I believe has one pawl. What came off of it had two. I just ordered the parts for that one, haven't got them yet. Some of them I changed the easy adjust system on the chain side to the conventional two bolt cover.
I just looked at the picture of the one I bought and it has two pawls which is what the one I'm removing has. I haven't done anything to the saw yet because the parts won't be here for awhile.

I have a friend who has a wrecked shoulder, and I was wondering if it would be possible to put an eazy2start recoil on a MS261C. That in my humble opinion would give him the best power to weight ration with a easy to start saw.

Makita/Dolmar dealers are nonexistant here, so he won't even look at them.

I have a friend who has a wrecked shoulder, and I was wondering if it would be possible to put an eazy2start recoil on a MS261C. That in my humble opinion would give him the best power to weight ration with a easy to start saw.

Makita/Dolmar dealers are nonexistant here, so he won't even look at them.
If it's a "C" model shouldn't it already have one?

I just came from a Stihl site and they said the letter C stands for comfort which means it contains comfort features like the aformentioned starter assembly and the easy chain adjust. I'm not a big fan of either...Maybe yours had the chain adjust and not the starter?

I just came from a Stihl site and they said the letter C stands for comfort which means it contains comfort features like the aformentioned starter assembly and the easy chain adjust. I'm not a big fan of either...Maybe yours had the chain adjust and not the starter?
Nope. It's has an elostostart rope.

Nope. It's has an elostostart rope.
Okay, there's two separate things, one is the starter with the coil spring in it that you pull easy until it winds up and starts the saw for you. The other is the Elastostart rope type thing that's used in the big saws to keep you from hurting yourself when the saw kicks back and tries to break your arm. I'm speaking of the former even though I have two or three of the Elastostart ropes from when I used to have the 044 saws without the de-comp. The easy start is found mostly on the saws smaller than the MS250.

Back