Modified Saw Discussion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More compression increases load on such as bearings, more rpm increases load and wear - compared to what it was designed for, and it was probably designed to last...

More compression increases load on such as bearings, more rpm increases load and wear - compared to what it was designed for, and it was probably designed to last...

I get that. I’m more curious about the fire aspect. Obviously they’d have to prove who started it. I mean if there’s a rule against modified saws then they could fine for the rules being broken but liability for a full fire would be harder to prove. But as far as spark what other measures are there besides the spark arrest or that would prevent a saw from being modified and used. It seems any with a spark arrestor would be ok. But like I said I don’t understand all that

According to the insurance companies it must be certified, that's the difference. And certification of equipment is a really expensive process.

Well practically perhaps, but the insurance companies only considers whats on the certification on that particular equipment, if it's modified - it's not certified.
This means that the lawyers from hell will save the insurance company a lot of money - and put the bill on you.

I like the hot rod car analogy. I built and raced cars for 25 years starting in the late 60's. I drove race cars on the road a lot. But, my daily driver was not a race car. I can see the guys that like to play with their saws. But, I'm with the OP, if I need a bigger saw, I just grab a bigger saw. A lot of guys talk of switching bars if they get into bigger wood. I'd never do that. I have 3, 100CC saws with different length bars. If I had to go to the truck, get another bar and chain, find a stump or tailgate to swap it, I'd be lucky to do it in 10 minutes. In the mean time if I have 3-5 men staring at me, that's a lot of man hours at the end of the year. I think the OP hit it on the head, we live in different worlds. Not right or wrong, just different.

I like the hot rod car analogy. I built and raced cars for 25 years starting in the late 60's. I drove race cars on the road a lot. But, my daily driver was not a race car. I can see the guys that like to play with their saws. But, I'm with the OP, if I need a bigger saw, I just grab a bigger saw. A lot of guys talk of switching bars if they get into bigger wood. I'd never do that. I have 3, 100CC saws with different length bars. If I had to go to the truck, get another bar and chain, find a stump or tailgate to swap it, I'd be lucky to do it in 10 minutes. In the mean time if I have 3-5 men staring at me, that's a lot of man hours at the end of the year. I think the OP hit it on the head, we live in different worlds. Not right or wrong, just different.

Stock
Modified
Race

Cars or saws......about the same. Lots of guys modify their cars/saws for everyday.
Few use their race saws/cars for everyday.

I agree. I have both and enjoy them both ways. Like you said and i think it applies to so much stuff on here that there is no right or wrong...unless a law says so lol. Thankfully I’m not worried about that because I don’t need most the saws I have anyways so they’re for fun while doing what I need to do at the ranch or home.

20190914_065844.jpg 20190914_065844.jpg Yep, that's true. But, like a lot of guys say, they get their kicks from running hotter saws. I'm getting older by the minute, and the older I get the more fun I have running stuff like my new 1968 Poulan Super 68 running a 31" bar and 1/2" chain. If I put in more trigger time, I still cut a lot more wood, even with my old saws. There is a valid point to be made about weight. My two favorite saws are HEAVY. That just makes beer time come sooner.
4laqa2f.jpg

Fuel economy is definitely a detriment to production. Good point.
Yep.
I enjoy my older saws whether stock or ported, but I run the autotune/mtronic saws on most my jobs because at the end of the day they do more work, even if they are about the same cutting cookies. I also run semi chisel on my 50cc saws on most of them for the same reason, full chisel will cut quicker for a while , but dulls quicker and if you hit the ground and have to sharpen the semi chisel just won out because now you're filing.
Nice muffler modded 346.

And a ported 346 with the same chain cutting right after the mm 346 above.

Back