Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chipper, it was dropped summer of 2018, I think it’ll be just fine......
I was joking, looked like it is the perfect wood to me, hopefully the bark will fall right off the locust for you. That being said I like to keep a bunch of that bark around for shoulder season fires, it works great.
Speaking of black locust :sweet:, I got a few more short rounds cut up today :laugh:.

Well Matt, sounds like you gotta get off your duff and come to the CT GTG next year, and I'll introduce you to the Doc … I can't do your bidding for you forever, but I will introduce you!

He did that 262 you love, he did my 360 (that you also love) and he did my MS460, which is an animal!

Well Matt, sounds like you gotta get off your duff and come to the CT GTG next year, and I'll introduce you to the Doc … I can't do your bidding for you forever, but I will introduce you!

He did that 262 you love, he did my 360 (that you also love) and he did my MS460, which is an animal!
He could hook him up for sure.
Most impressive saw I ran a few yrs ago was an 026 he build, bulled a 20x3/8 like a strong 60cc saw:chainsaw:.

I cut up this ? English oak log the winter before last.

30th Jun 1.jpg

Very easy cutting and the wood was that green that it splashed when I fiskared it. I weighed a piece (the highest bit on the stack below, lying at 90° to the rest) when I stacked it and it was 7kgs. I weighed the same piece the other day and it was 4.4kgs, so it had lost 37% of its weight. I'm calling that good enough to burn this year. I did burn some of the uglies this winter that were from the end that I cut off before the pic and they went pretty well but after another summer will be better again.

4th Jul 2.jpg

I cut up this ? English oak log the winter before last.

View attachment 788289

Very easy cutting and the wood was that green that it splashed when I fiskared it. I weighed a piece (the highest bit on the stack below, lying at 90° to the rest) when I stacked it and it was 7kgs. I weighed the same piece the other day and it was 4.4kgs, so it had lost 37% of its weight. I'm calling that good enough to burn this year. I did burn some of the uglies this winter that were from the end that I cut off before the pic and they went pretty well but after another summer will be better again.

View attachment 788301
Spaghetti for dinner :sweet:, and a great view!
Those noodles work great for kindling. I like to put them in paper bags from one of the grocery stores we shop at, it seems to absorb the moisture from them.

He put a 36" on a ported 026 at a GTG as a goof … but it pulled it pretty darn well!
I've seen videos he did running one, his "Piltz" setup for redwoods lol.
Yep, all in the name of good fun, at least he isn't trying to sell that they will cut that way all day on the net as some as tried to do :nofunny:.
Great little firewood saws when he get done with them though :chainsaw:.

Cowboy, that does look like English oak. It should have had a strong and distinctive smell for the tanins. From your weights it sounds like its dried to burnable but if you can be bothered, shove the split somewhere warm or even in the oven and keep weighing it. when it no longer gets lighter its 0%mc and you can then work out where its at. Since green it can be 60-80% it may benefit from drying another year yet.

Cowboy, that does look like English oak. It should have had a strong and distinctive smell for the tanins. From your weights it sounds like its dried to burnable but if you can be bothered, shove the split somewhere warm or even in the oven and keep weighing it. when it no longer gets lighter its 0%mc and you can then work out where its at. Since green it can be 60-80% it may benefit from drying another year yet.
You'll never get 0% MC. The air isn't dry enough to do that.

Got a little more done at the school admidst the fits of rain.
a10344c1fcf6cb088262b5cb9b1403e6.jpg

That round in the tire took maybe 6 seconds.
Where as this one took a bit longer. Arrrrr
572407bd77a7760f0c27eba9d7c11a29.jpg

Also went back to the property of the deceased fellow who’s family is clearing out his place. Cut up some very wet and muddy but still solid oak.
6f97ca2b50d8caaaa41a195cc7575a6b.jpg
Figured it would be a good time to try out the Oregon Duracut chain (M72DPX). Not sure how regular DPX would have compared, but this chain certainly showed not signs of dulling throughout this funk.

Then filled the rest of the truck from the real jackpot, this stuffs been in this well ventilated black plastic “shed” for 5-6 years:
30526364f766260b9a4a9f41f616d163.jpg

3e5aadf6655b826a12eeac38706a620f.jpg

Moneyyyyy! Yeah there’s some pine and poplar in there, but the oak rounds are so light it’s hard to believe.

Wanted to check the MC of a split when I got home, but here’s a pro tip: don’t leave your moisture meter out in the rain all night: It don’t work too well after that ![emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a little more done at the school admidst the fits of rain.
a10344c1fcf6cb088262b5cb9b1403e6.jpg

That round in the tire took maybe 6 seconds.
Where as this one took a bit longer. Arrrrr
572407bd77a7760f0c27eba9d7c11a29.jpg

Also went back to the property of the deceased fellow who’s family is clearing out his place. Cut up some very wet and muddy but still solid oak.
6f97ca2b50d8caaaa41a195cc7575a6b.jpg
Figured it would be a good time to try out the Oregon Duracut chain (M72DPX). Not sure how regular DPX would have compared, but this chain certainly showed not signs of dulling throughout this funk.

Then filled the rest of the truck from the real jackpot, this stuffs been in this well ventilated black plastic “shed” for 5-6 years:
30526364f766260b9a4a9f41f616d163.jpg

3e5aadf6655b826a12eeac38706a620f.jpg

Moneyyyyy! Yeah there’s some pine and poplar in there, but the oak rounds are so light it’s hard to believe.

Wanted to check the MC of a split when I got home, but here’s a pro tip: don’t leave your moisture meter out in the rain all night: It don’t work too well after that ![emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks good!

I probably won’t be able to find much to cut for a few months..:cool:D2484F11-C729-435B-8255-F77F1FA70733.jpeg

Attachments

• AA233C0C-701A-4CDF-9061-92246534E402.jpeg
    AA233C0C-701A-4CDF-9061-92246534E402.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Back