Chainsaw chain feels like its binding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quigleythemystic

Fallin, Cuttin, Buckin, Splittin & Stackin!
Reaction score
I just put a brand new 3/8 lp sorocket chain and bar on my little homelite xl2. And the chain moves freely but it feels sticky. Like ill pull it then it tightens up then kinda gets loose again and it does this all the way around the bar. Does the new sprocket need broke in or did i do something wrong?

Maybe the sprocket on the bar end?
Take the chain off the bar and turn the nose sprocket on the bar?
What Maybe it has a ‘sticky’ spot?

I find new bar, chain install and the lack of having oil in the bar grove, it is ruff to pull it around by hand. Run it and it will oil and the ruff edges between the bar and chain will smooth out. That is if all the parts are proper for the saw.

Something isnt matching the 3/8lp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3/8LP is not designed to work with regular 3/8, the problem is the driver dimensions between the two. Using 3/8 chain on a LP sprocket (nose and/or) spur will eventually cause the chain to bind. It seems to peen the tie strap in between drivers.
I learned this the hard way, was buying 3/8 chains for my poulan back in the day that had a LP setup. The chain would bind up terribly after less than a tank of cutting and was then un-usable.

I bought the 3/8lp bar and chain together from Oregon so i'm very sure the specs are good. And the sprocket is a 6 pin 3/8lp for the saw and chain, looked up as much as i can and all numbers looks good. Im just confused as to what's going on. This is my first time ever switching a sprocket out for a saw.

I find new bar, chain install and the lack of having oil in the bar grove, it is ruff to pull it around by hand. Run it and it will oil and the ruff edges between the bar and chain will smooth out. That is if all the parts are proper for the saw.
Update i took your advice since all the numbers and parts line up correctly and its for my little saw. I ran it and cut a truckload of wood and now seems to have smoothed out and now feels normal chain spins freely and is working fine. I would post pics but that saw is a b$#ch to get apart. Its working perfect now and thank for the advice everybody. Much appreciated

Back