Any one use dryer lint to start fire?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
any one here besides me use the lint from the dryer trap to light there fires? I like it cuz it burns long and generally it’s a never ending source. I just throw some splits in the stove and put a cleaning of dryer lint under the piece with the most fibers hanging off light it and walk away. 90 percent of the time it takes

Our scout troop takes cardboard egg containers, wax and dryer lint to make fire starters. The individual cells can be cut out torn out or use the whole thing for bonfire.
This is what I do as well. Works great. Hardly need any kindling.

Nope, I line dry laundry so lint is a rare commodity. I find the fire start brick available at Wally world work well. You can break the brick into 4 pieces for better economy.

Diesel. It doesn't flash or explode, burns long and HOT. I use a dish soap bottle with a squirt top.
Charcoal lighter flashes to much, gas explodes, dryer lint is to slow.

any one here besides me use the lint from the dryer trap to light there fires? I like it cuz it burns long and generally it’s a never ending source. I just throw some splits in the stove and put a cleaning of dryer lint under the piece with the most fibers hanging off light it and walk away. 90 percent of the time it takes
My wife uses lint, wax and paper egg cartons to make a dandy, simple fire starter. She makes a bunch of them to give away during the holiday season, they work pretty well!

I wish the Boy Scouts did more traditional Boy Scout stuff around me. When I was a kid the Boy Scouts owned there own property next to the reservoir we use to go camping every other weekend and bring a paper bag eggs and bacon for breakfast , fishing, Ice fishing, group small game hunts then cook and eat what we got for lunch or dinner. Now a days people think there gonna die from cooking bacon and eggs in a bag.

Nope save that to use when ML hunting. If I don't have any hornets nest to put between the powder and greased patch, I use dryer lint.

:D Al

I usually just buy a bag/bale of pine shavings. I throw a paper in the bottom of the stove, then a handful of the shaving, stack the stove full of dry splits, open the draft and lite the paper and close the door. Roaring fire in just a few minutes. A bale of shavings will last me two or three years and only cost $2 or $3. Drier lint is kept in snuff cans for camping. Add a little Vaseline to the lint and it makes a excellent Firestarter.

YES. My favorite outdoor firestarter for wet weather is a cardboard egg carton, put lint into each egg place, then melt wax from an old candle on top of them. Each egg place will start a fire in wet weather.

Down in the South, The Southerns introduced me to Lighter Knot or Fat Lighter which is basically the heart of a tree which smells like pure kerosene and makes a fire like crazy.
Because I am in Construction and we clear alot I will come across it and when I do , it's usually alot so I got a good supply of it.
Great for camping, one sliver is all it takes.
I found lamp oil to work excellent also.
It burns slow, not dangerous and catches logs on fire nice.

Back