Cast Iron Cookware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hope u get to use them soon Marshy - could try them over charcoal, fire... or maybe even and electric element. u know, those that are independent and u plug them in. not sure how hot the pan would get, maybe not as hot as over gas... but surely hot enuff for some...

hash n eggs, or eggs n cheese! :D
They work decent on the older style electric stoves with the wire coil conductors. The glass tops suck because they use infrared elements of some type. The pan has to be in contact with the surface to conduct the heat...

My wife might frown on me lighting a charcoal fire on top of her stove.

They work decent on the older style electric stoves with the wire coil conductors. The glass tops suck because they use infrared elements of some type. The pan has to be in contact with the surface to conduct the heat...My wife might frown on me lighting a charcoal fire on top of her stove.

oic; no doubt. I was thinking outside...

I have pots, fry pans and DO's in my cast iron collection. some of my pots n pans...

this is a nice cast pan to fry in. kinda big. guess it could be used as any cast iron fry pan, but the guy I got it from liked to do fried chicken in it. took me a handful of years to talk him out of it. wouldn't let it go, but did when he sold his house... was pretty rusty when I got it. cleaned up fine. mostly I use it for cooking ranch fries or hand cut French fries outside. haven't done any fried chicken in it. but want to. and I have plenty of oil on hand, too. but a ready to eat Sam's rotisserie chicken is hard to beat at $4.98! no prep, just eat, no frying clean up.
P6240014.JPG

not a cast iron fry pan, but part of my cast iron cookingware collection. steel. a fajita pan. I like to cook with it when I want to cook openly on stove. like for chicken livers, etc... slow n low kinda cooking. think I have done some eggs on it as well... it stays in kitchen, too. I like it. bit unique. imo. also, have cooked on it outside with it sitting on fire's coals. or grill grate in my outoddr fireplace, mr Brutus.

P6240019.JPG

I have both old timey vintage, well-used cast iron fry pans and this more recent 14" Lodge. it is my biggest cast fry pan. 14" don't sound big, but it is one really big pan! heavy, too! I keep in in the oven for storage. haven't yet, but would like to cook outside with it over hot oak coals... or inside like this when the fire has gotten down to just coals. but this takes all day to get to this point. and I doubt I could stave off being hungry that long... lol. I like the old ones a lot. I have more and also several up at the farm. I have a bunch of D.O's and lids, too. I have cooked in one of the D.O.s. but not as a rule. but I like them.
P6240020.JPG
P6240029.JPG

looks good svk! ~ I believe you!! :rolleyes: I plan on one of my big portabellas today as I grill up this USDA Prime NY strip... was going to use a slider pan, but now will use one of my cast iron fry pans. you inspired me! lol ;)
View attachment 788119

glad I ck'd this thread before I got started on chow time this afternoon. here I am svk, getting started. using small high sides cast pot for a fry pan. olive oil. hot. then garlics in, whole and sizzling...
P6240027.JPG

omg! delicious only begins to describe it. I do like mushrooms, but haven't done too many lately. pretty sure the full Portobello cap is going to be my main stay here on out... fit in perfect with the meal. some on top of steak and some on side as a side. an over-the-top great meal!
P6240034.JPG
P6240036.JPG

thanks for the tip, svk! :D

My wife was heading out of town to watch my son play basketball tonight (about 2 hour drive each way) so I said let’s eat a big meal at lunch. Picked up these NY strips for 4 bucks and change each. They definitely hit the spot with some steamed broccoli.

View attachment 788494 View attachment 788495

I have tried a variety spices to season a steak over the years. from none to S&P only. no shortage of chef's good advice out there, and utube, and tv cooking shows. many like to use some course salt on the meat, and pepper then grill it. for a while I used to use a course kosher salt/grinder and then McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. but, usually made me thirsty... lol... a bit after the meal. so cut out the salt, and use the Montreal. it has plenty! using no oil, I sprinkle it on one side only. use back of a spoon to 'spread it around and in' and let it go to room temp 20/30 mins while grill heats up if going to gas grill. often do. that long frying oil pan on my grill is on my Broilmaster. have had it for almost 40 years. still one heck of a great grill! I really like the flavoring the Montreal gives the meat. worth a try, imo...

zmmss.jpg

and my preferred method on my Broilmaster... on wood, etc is dif. but on my Broilmaster, hot clean oiled grate, on goes the meat and then I cover it with a pce of tin foil. and let it both grill and roast. speeds up cooking time. typical steak 4-6 mins. then turn it, and recover. depending on other meats, if... and how the first 4-6 mins went... couple mins on other side covered, then depending... turn off grill. go about things for dinner. few mins. and let it semi rest in the heat to finish. always med-rare for typical 1- 1/2" cut. if in cast iron pan inside no tin foil cover, splatter screen only and a square of paper towel to help absorb splatter's.

the results are ideal, imo...
P6240037.JPG

Latest posts

Back