390xp air leak inner race to crank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

half_full

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I did some searching but couldn't find a similar issue. My 390 runs good but the plug was looking awful white when I pulled it. So I decided to do a pressure/vac test. I'm getting bubbles (soap water) between the inner race and the crank on the pto side. I'll split the case after poking around a bit more. But thinking the bearing locked up at some time? It spins with the crank now.
Anyone else had this issue?

If the crank is spun and not just the bearing, even using loctite 640? sleeve retainer isn’t a guarantee. Unfortunately there are plenty of spun/worn cranks out there. Some guys have had temporary success with loctite products, but many have had repeat failures.
I had two 660s with less than desirable feel with the old bearing. They still required some pressure with my case splitter to remove them from the bearings. I used 640 on both with new bearings. They weren’t a slip fit when putting the case together. I have two years of moderate use on one.

Thanks for the replies. I split the cases tonight but spent all night cleaning. I'll inspect and measure tomorrow night. I did order OEM parts. But, I couldn't find a decent inexpensive piston. Does Meteor not make a 390 piston? Mine is worn and slight scoring on intake side. I could use it. But would rather replace it.

Back