New model MS261 clutch cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldsawnut

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm interchangeability on a clutch cover from a 500 down to a 261.. I need to replace one on my new style 261c. They all look real similar just want to make sure I can order one for say a 362 or 462 and still have it work on my 261. I know the old style covers from 026-066 wont work.

I would like to know this too. I have a 441cm without captive nuts, i wouldn't mind having a newer style cover with captive nuts.

I am referring to the new style 261 362 462 500 etc with the newer style sprocket cover not the original ones. The new style are flatter across the top so the older 026-066 covers don't work. I don't think the 2 versions of 261 or 362 are interchangeable either unless you change the inner plastic cover for the chain brake parts.. If that's even possible.

You want to know they 'why's' of this situation & the reason captive but covers don't interchange is because the bar studs screwed into the case are different. You should be able to make things work if you install studs that match the cover.

You want to know they 'why's' of this situation & the reason captive but covers don't interchange is because the bar studs screwed into the case are different. You should be able to make things work if you install studs that match the cover.

Actually the older covers go on over the studs fine but the top ridge hits the chain brake spring/assembly cover.

The MS462 and MS261V2 seem to have similar covers BUT they are not interchangeable. I know for sure cause I have them both

Thanks this is the answer I am looking for now I just need to find out if a 261-362 v2 covers interchange or if the 261v2 is all by itself

The MS 261 (new style sprocket cover) is only used on the MS 261 (new version).
The newer sprocket cover on the MS 362 is used only on the MS 362 (new version) and MS 400.

Thanks... That sucks I cant believe they made each model cover specific to that one saw...

Every part number listed from PV hiker work on only the older style saws. None work for the V2 :(

LOL is that the part number for a 362v2? Perhaps they do interchange??? Or changed the part number so it looks like they are diff I know there is that part number on evil bay right now for a 362 cover and 261 although they could have messed it up.

Back