Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good!

I probably won’t be able to find much to cut for a few months..:cool:View attachment 788492

That's what my wood yard looks like this morning. Somewhere out there is a pile of rounds, about 6 cords worth, waiting to be split/piled.

Put in an hour yesterday with the snow blower building a road through it so I can haul the chunks to the splitter. Don't ask why the splitter and chunks are on opposite sides of the yard...

Got a little more done at the school admidst the fits of rain.
a10344c1fcf6cb088262b5cb9b1403e6.jpg

That round in the tire took maybe 6 seconds.
Where as this one took a bit longer. Arrrrr
572407bd77a7760f0c27eba9d7c11a29.jpg

Also went back to the property of the deceased fellow who’s family is clearing out his place. Cut up some very wet and muddy but still solid oak.
6f97ca2b50d8caaaa41a195cc7575a6b.jpg
Figured it would be a good time to try out the Oregon Duracut chain (M72DPX). Not sure how regular DPX would have compared, but this chain certainly showed not signs of dulling throughout this funk.

Then filled the rest of the truck from the real jackpot, this stuffs been in this well ventilated black plastic “shed” for 5-6 years:
30526364f766260b9a4a9f41f616d163.jpg

3e5aadf6655b826a12eeac38706a620f.jpg

Moneyyyyy! Yeah there’s some pine and poplar in there, but the oak rounds are so light it’s hard to believe.

Wanted to check the MC of a split when I got home, but here’s a pro tip: don’t leave your moisture meter out in the rain all night: It don’t work too well after that ![emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some nice looking White Oak there, should throw some great heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dug up a few logs that were buried in my wood pile and cut them up an split them. Fired up my MOFO 360, which had not been run much lately. Dang thing went through that Red Oak so fast I had to check to make sure it wasn't punky, but no, solid as a Rock!

Even though that stuff had been cut down a year and a half ago in the Spring, it is still wet and heavy! Gave the X-27 a little workout after the saw got the workout! I was pleased it even split some fairly knotty pieces.

I also took the Ruger American 223 to the range today, and it shot well. Seems that my group sizes go down if I seat the bullet touching the rifling. It still cycles through the magazine (which has worked great since I modified it), but you can't get factory ammo like that!

My 5 shot group was under an inch, even though a pulled a shot, with 4 in 1/2". The trigger is good, but it is stock, and it is tough not to pull it a bit in the cold with such a light rifle.

My heavy 26" barrel 220 swift is much steadier on the sand bags, but a PITA to lug around!

Long but good day. Mostly.

After I put the girls to bed I went out and plowed. I’ve been having problems with my wiring harness on the plow and I think today was the end. I was just finishing up my neighbors yard and it wouldn’t go up no matter what I did. Came home and fiddled around with it for another half hour with no luck. I’m not going to buy an expensive replacement harness when I’m not sure which end is bad so I’m just going to do pigtail connections. It’s an old truck so may as well just make it work properly.

Hey Cowboy we are getting a foreign international student from this obscure place called New South Wales. We are hoping to show her what cold really is since she is slated to arrive Feb 1.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
4 yrs ago we hosted a student from Thailand. He had never seen snow. Of course we had the second mildest winter ever, this year being the 1st. With only 1 significant snowfall while he was here. Still managed to take him sledding.
6 years ago we hosted a girl from Germany. At one point she asked why it seems so much colder here than at home. She said she looked up the month to month weather for her home and here and they were about the same. We had the coldest winter on record that year

Back