How to dissolve varnish in fuel tank?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again Mark, i weighed my options and decided a handful of some old nuts and some gas, shaken (not stirred) should do well enough. It's sitting and I'm going to give some shakes each time i walk past for a week or so and then see how it looks.

I havent had it tear up rubber carb parts, but I am not saying you won't have a problem.

I'm usually a "try it and see what happens" type but I'm dealing with a 59 year old rubber pickup line that requires removing a lot of stuff to replace, so I'm treading lightly. I will most likely get a can of the stuff for my various other carb cleaning tasks.

Cleaning out gas tanks is not a fun thing, but to cut down on labor and reduce the messy situation I use a redneck method of tumbling the tanks.

To get a good cleaning inside the bad/rusty and gooey ones I strap the tank to the rear wheel of my Farm Tractor.

Scotch the tractor good, jack up one rear wheel and place axle on blocks. (make sure the tractor is secure so as it don't drive itself away when you are not around) Apply padding, such as old carpet) to the tank so as it's not scrubbing on metal tractor rim and strap securely in place with cap located so as the tank can be examined, drained and fresh cleaner added as needed. Pieces of the old porch chain is good for inside because it has sharp edges. Let the engine idle and select the tumbling speed by using different gears and listen to the chain rattling inside. If too fast the chain won't tumble inside. If you are careful and the tank is small you can strap it in place while the tractor is being used. I also use this method for cleaning the inside of large automobile tanks before epoxy coating the insides. (old vintage tanks that are no longer available) With the tank slowly tumbling on the tractor wheel I can go do other things and check on the process later.

Cleaning out gas tanks is not a fun thing, but to cut down on labor and reduce the messy situation I use a redneck method of tumbling the tanks.

To get a good cleaning inside the bad/rusty and gooey ones I strap the tank to the rear wheel of my Farm Tractor.

Scotch the tractor good, jack up one rear wheel and place axle on blocks. (make sure the tractor is secure so as it don't drive itself away when you are not around) Apply padding, such as old carpet) to the tank so as it's not scrubbing on metal tractor rim and strap securely in place with cap located so as the tank can be examined, drained and fresh cleaner added as needed. Pieces of the old porch chain is good for inside because it has sharp edges. Let the engine idle and select the tumbling speed by using different gears and listen to the chain rattling inside. If too fast the chain won't tumble inside. If you are careful and the tank is small you can strap it in place while the tractor is being used. I also use this method for cleaning the inside of large automobile tanks before epoxy coating the insides. (old vintage tanks that are no longer available) With the tank slowly tumbling on the tractor wheel I can go do other things and check on the process later.

This is one of the most glorious examples of backyard ingenuity I've seen, haha. My dad and i used to bolt a large reel of cable to our tractor wheel jacked off the ground to use as a giant winch to bail a gas well.

"Runaway tractor with chainsaw attached to wheel goes on rampage"

Back