2-stroke engine future for F1 ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure why this in the chainsaw section.

Isn't F1 turbocharged methanol in the premier class now. Isn't methanol also called wood alcohol? Is the intent to claim greenness?

I see two disconnects in the article. Two cycle lawn mowers? I tried to get one of those floating mowers I have seen with two cycle engines and the only one I can find new is a Toro with a honda engine. Who really thinks 50% efficiency is obtainable with any piston engine? I think the best they can get is in the 30 to 35 percent range and that is as to power a generator at very specific operating range.

I may have missed it but what fuel is the linked article proposing or talking about?

Two Strokes? Here’s a bike I once owned. Four cylinder two stroke. 500cc I believe King Kenny Roberts rode a yellow and black one. These couldn’t be imported as ne bikes so they were labeled as used bikes and got in the USA.

Attachments

• 0FC295BB-882B-4DAF-B593-5AB8B6A68A42.jpeg
    0FC295BB-882B-4DAF-B593-5AB8B6A68A42.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 42
Not sure why this in the chainsaw section.

Isn't F1 turbocharged methanol in the premier class now. Isn't methanol also called wood alcohol? Is the intent to claim greenness?

I see two disconnects in the article. Two cycle lawn mowers? I tried to get one of those floating mowers I have seen with two cycle engines and the only one I can find new is a Toro with a honda engine. Who really thinks 50% efficiency is obtainable with any piston engine? I think the best they can get is in the 30 to 35 percent range and that is as to power a generator at very specific operating range.

I may have missed it but what fuel is the linked article proposing or talking about?
It's in the chainsaw section only because for many here (including yourself it seems) the chainsaw is seen as the remnant of 2-stroke technology, saved from oblivion only by the clever engineers at Komatsu/Zenoah who came up with what we now call "X-Torq".

Random links:

Opposed piston uniflow 2-stroke diesel truck engine

Hydrocarbon fuel extraction from atmosphere
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...g-liquid-fuel-carbon-capture-neutral-science/

Shockwave ignition
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/mazda-savior-internal-combustion-engine/

Its interesting to say the least. In marine applications, it seems direct injection 2 strokes are falling out of favor as 4 stroke outboard are getting lighter and more powerful. Yamaha and Mercury have discontinued their HPDI and Optimax DFI 2 strokes in favor of 4 strokes, not sure how much longer BRP will hold out with their E-Tec line. I dig 2 stroke engines, but DFI 2 strokes are far from what I would consider optimal. Perhaps in a racing setting where the engines are constantly torn down, rebuilt and small details are fussed over, they might be ok. I know of countless owners of DFI 2 strokes who have dealt with engine failures since these engines run exceptionally lean and with minimal oil. I currently own a Mercury Racing 250 XS on my bass boat. It's fast, but I miss the simplicity of my old Mercury 225 EFI. It was easy to work on and was stone cold reliable.

Put the v-12 back in them and stop all this nonsense.
Get that stupid halo off the windscreen also.

It's a travesty what they're doing to F-1.

Two Strokes? Here’s a bike I once owned. Four cylinder two stroke.

I could be wrong about this as my memory fades a bit. I did do some work with Yamaha in the sixties when they were working on a works V-four two stroke road racer. The base model was a 25o cc very expensive works racer. I was only aware of six or ten complete bikes. There could have been as many as twenty five. The motor which needed constant attention to every detail to keep from exploding produced 120 BHP cruised to 180 MPH at some road race courses. The engine was based on rotary valves and had each cylinder isolated. I was never aware of any production four cylinder two stroke as I would like to see. The Yamaha version was used for some newer innovations though with liquid cooling and all. I did work with Kawasaki's H1 H2 H3 air cooled which were quite a handful too. Thanks

No. Put the V12 back in and take the cock off the front. The halo can stay. F1 is trying to go carbon neutral soon anyway.

Oh, and F1A can get off Mercedes’ tit and let the other drivers drive. I’m sick of seeing ******** penalties to protect their golden boy Lewis Hamilton.

I could be wrong about this as my memory fades a bit. I did do some work with Yamaha in the sixties when they were working on a works V-four two stroke road racer. The base model was a 25o cc very expensive works racer. I was only aware of six or ten complete bikes. There could have been as many as twenty five. The motor which needed constant attention to every detail to keep from exploding produced 120 BHP cruised to 180 MPH at some road race courses. The engine was based on rotary valves and had each cylinder isolated. I was never aware of any production four cylinder two stroke as I would like to see. The Yamaha version was used for some newer innovations though with liquid cooling and all. I did work with Kawasaki's H1 H2 H3 air cooled which were quite a handful too. Thanks
Had a 1969 H-1 Blue Streak , scary fast 500 nick named the flexy flyer . In 1972 upgraded to a H-2 fastest Production 750 motorcycle in the world at that time . How times have changed !

Two Strokes? Here’s a bike I once owned. Four cylinder two stroke. 500cc I believe King Kenny Roberts rode a yellow and black one. These couldn’t be imported as ne bikes so they were labeled as used bikes and got in the USA.

We imported 10 of those the certificate of Origen said for off road use only.

You could take that to West Virginia and get a Street title for it.

I was the sales manager for a couple of Yamaha shops in Virginia.

I rode 1 for 6 months on dealer tags.

That was the last motorcycle I rode that was 1984.

Those RZ500s were fun fast bikes in their day.
Remember when Kenny was running for the Championship riding the venerable YZ-750 @ the Indy Mile against Eddie Lawson,s. EX-650 R Kawasaki Big Bore Prototype , what a duel in the dirt ! Kenny had him covered on the Dirt Ovals , Eddie was quicker in Open Superbike , but Kenny was faster again in Ama GP-500 ! Kinda miss those days !!

Seen these opposed piston engines years ago as a prototype somewhere on the net.

King Kenny I in one of the movies on any Sunday.

Remember when Kenny was running for the Championship riding the venerable YZ-750 @ the Indy Mile against Eddie Lawson,s. EX-650 R Kawasaki Big Bore Prototype , what a duel in the dirt ! Kenny had him covered on the Dirt Ovals , Eddie was quicker in Open Superbike , but Kenny was faster again in Ama GP-500 ! Kinda miss those days !!
I was more into the GP racing and I think it was the most exciting racing era when 2 strokes ruled. Absolutely wild duels between Shwantz, Rainey, Doohan, Lawson... just epic battles on two wheels.

I was more into the GP racing and I think it was the most exciting racing era when 2 strokes ruled. Absolutely wild duels between Shwantz, Rainey, Doohan, Lawson... just epic battles on two wheels.
Oh yeah along with Randy Mamola , Freddy Spencer , Jay Springsteen . He'll I go back to the Cal Rayborn , Yvon Durhamel. , Gene Romaro and Gary Nixon , Mike Hailwood days lol. I have owned over 40 various motorcycles Life on 2 Wheels Baby !

The last V4 2strokes were getting so powerful that the racers had a hard time even controlling them. I think it was Honda that came out with the Big Bang engine that fired all the cylinders in close succession in an effort to get some control of the rear wheel when their guys rolled on the throttle. Crazy times and it makes me smile just thinking back to it.

The last V4 2strokes were getting so powerful that the racers had a hard time even controlling them. I think it was Honda that came out with the Big Bang engine that fired all the cylinders in close succession in an effort to get some control of the rear wheel when their guys rolled on the throttle. Crazy times and it makes me smile just thinking back to it.
Yeah then came the computerized traction control , rev limited , better rubber compounds etc . When King Kenny won the GP -500 Championship his bike weighed 200 lbs and was producing over 200 BHP ! Riding by the seat of your pants back then literally .

Oh yeah along with Randy Mamola , Freddy Spencer , Jay Springsteen . He'll I go back to the Cal Rayborn , Yvon Durhamel. , Gene Romaro and Gary Nixon days lol. I have owned over 40 various motorcycles , Life on 2 Wheels Baby !

Yeah I was all up in the business from 73 thru 84.

Raced MX and Road.

My first race bike then my favorite road racer.

2557025C-4DEC-43EC-B8AF-9C69ED2E33C4.jpeg

42498919-A881-453B-9583-E3E9A21AF156.jpeg

Back