Got a question about saw troll.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the used "clogged" filter dried out I checked it with compressed air. It seemed OK, both easy air flow in and easy out, as if nothing was clogged. The air flow through it was the same as other brand new, unused filters. So, my question is, can any fuel filter be checked in advance by using air flow? Seems like that failed in this case.

Compressed air is at a whole lot higher pressure than fuel. You could very easily have blown a hole through the clogged filter media with it, which of course would let air flow freely.

I would guess that it was something other than a clogged filter, my guess is that it was hanging out at the top of the tank.
Turns out the filter was OK and the engine started doing the same thing after a few buck cuts -- bogs down in the cut or even at WOT and no load. My reporting error. Now I think it's either the fuel line, the carb, or the ignition module. Not sure which one. Looks like I have "treasure hunt" in progress. First time in five years this 353 has ever quit on me.

My guess would be cracked fuel line. Wiggling around the fuel line when you replaced the filter allowed it to seal momentarily.

maybe a crack/hole in the line towards the top of the tank and when it drops below a certain level it starts pulling air.

Turns out the filter was OK and the engine started doing the same thing after a few buck cuts -- bogs down in the cut or even at WOT and no load. My reporting error. Now I think it's either the fuel line, the carb, or the ignition module. Not sure which one. Looks like I have "treasure hunt" in progress. First time in five years this 353 has ever quit on me.

I assume that you have ruled out air starvation (air filter and intake)?

I assume that you have ruled out air starvation (air filter and intake)?
Yes, I added a new air filter also. Should have reported that. The fuel lime is almost new also (side note to Jkstilhl). I checked that when I replaced the fuel filter. Now I'm leaning toward a carb check first and the IM second. Compression is excellent -- 150 psi cold. This was a somewhat sudden event, so I have a sneaky suspicion it's the IM that decided to say goodbye.

Yes, I added a new air filter also. Should have reported that. The fuel lime is almost new also (side note to Jkstilhl). I checked that when I replaced the fuel filter. Now I'm leaning toward a carb check first and the IM second. Compression is excellent -- 150 psi cold. This was a somewhat sudden event, so I have a sneaky suspicion it's the IM that decided to say goodbye.

To me at least, this issue doesn't sound like it is fuel supply related, as not a word has been said about the rpm going up ("racing") when power is lost?

To me at least, this issue doesn't sound like it is fuel supply related, as not a word has been said about the rpm going up ("racing") when power is lost?
No racing. The power just dies out and the engine conks out. I'm ordering a new carb, and I'll keep you posted. If that fails, then likely it's the IM. There's no harm in having a backup carb. And, I have a 350 waiting in the lurch that runs like a bandit.

I wonder if ST has had the chance to pick up a 572xp yet? Does he like/dislike the direction husky went with the MkII 550xp? Many questions, good to see Niko around even if its just to say g'day in the good morning thread.
Sorry, I haven't followed the latest developments close enough to comment much on those models.

Latest posts

Back