455 Husqavarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really
I used a stihl MS660 for 3 years till it locked up. Gas got mixed lean, I am guessing that the mixing oil was not correct in the bottle. I have caught that several times and that may be what happened to my jonsered. As I was in a hurry in the rain and did not double check the bottle to make sure it was full. I have found the bottles not correct several times after the Stihl locked up.

The MS 880 has failed 2wice clutch and drum failure after 2 years.

The MS 661 is on its 2nd year used daily and has cut a couple tractor trailer loads of wood a day give or take.

The jonsered and the 455 are used just an hour a day several times a week. But mostly on the weekends.

As I said. I cut firewood as a side business.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
You know I have never thought of that possibility of not the correct amount of oil in the bottle! I will remember to check that from now on when I mix. I always mix a tad rich on the oil in case the gas pump is off a little.

Not really
I used a stihl MS660 for 3 years till it locked up. Gas got mixed lean, I am guessing that the mixing oil was not correct in the bottle. I have caught that several times and that may be what happened to my jonsered. As I was in a hurry in the rain and did not double check the bottle to make sure it was full. I have found the bottles not correct several times after the Stihl locked up.

The MS 661 is on its 2nd year used daily and has cut a couple tractor trailer loads of wood a day give or take.

The jonsered and the 455 are used just an hour a day several times a week. But mostly on the weekends.

So to summarize , you basically straight gassed 2 $1200 saws . No biggy we all **** up . However most of us acknowledge this basic negligence up front . So to cut to the chase , no saw , I repeat no single saw made in Gods wide earth is capable of cutting 500 cord of hardwood annually . Not even Cedar or Birch for toothpick manufacturing ! So lets get real please ! P S. Congratulations on the addition to the family , time to reflect on your Priorities Bro !

Not really

Why would you think , with your lack of success with two of the biggest and arguably best saws ever mass-produced , that a Prosumer Grade middle weight saw would solve your delima ? Just asking , to me it's readily apparent that operator error or negligence is the cause of your current situation . Mixing oil adequately isn,t Rocket Science !

Why would you think , with your lack of success with two of the biggest and arguably best saws ever mass-produced , that a Prosumer Grade middle weight saw would solve your delima ? Just asking , to me it's readily apparent that operator error or negligence is the cause of your current situation . Mixing oil adequately isn,t Rocket Science !
I like how most of you jump to conclusions.
So let's just get this out of the way.
I work for a saw mill and I get as much wood as I want.

I used to be the rail road tie off bearer and Tie grader. My job was cutting back 12'6" and 10'6" green RRT to 9 foot. Thus I operated a chainsaw all day long. Now for most of you that do not know, normal RRT are 7"x9" and are stack 5 wide by 5 high in packs

The waste from my RRT is then turned into firewood. So I would get a load for myself a day. Before the new boss came along, I was allowed to cut my wood to length and load it on company time. This was a benefit to the company and myself. That totalled to 3 packs ( 12, 12, and 10) of waste that a loader Operator did not have to dump into a trailer. But today I am a Wheel Loader Operator. I still get my wood when I want it but I load it on my breaks and lunch and i pop in on the weekends and take 3 or 4 loads.

As for the Stihl MS 660 that i smoked. I was not the one who mixed the gas nor checked the mixing oil to make sure it was filled by the manufacturer to the correct amount. I burn 2 gallons of fuel a day in a saw. We determined that the fuel became lean that lead to that saw getting smoked.

Now to the MS 880, it's not all its cracked up to be or at least mine wasnt, the company decided to buy me the biggest saw they could get their hands on. The saw is big and heavy, lacks power and speed with a 32 inch bar. I prefer the MS 661 w/24" bar as it will out cut that saw 2 to 1. The MS 880 failure was not on me as I was on Knuckle Boom Loader and a fill in was doing my job, he lugged the saw to much and smoked the saws clutch and cracked the drum from heat.
I do not lug a saw, but others do.

The bulk of my work is done with a Timber saw, most time I do not even need my own saw. But i keep a saw in my truck and i need something that will not take up a lot of room. As any of you that have handled a Stihl Timber saw know, they are wide and bulky where the Jonsered and Husky are more slim line. They fit better in the rear cab of my truck , behind the front seat.

Now let me say this, before you guys became asses and made snide comments about my ability to operate a chainsaw and how much wood I cut. You should stop and think a little bit about the big picture. I did not know I was going to have to open the curtains and let you look outside just because I have a saw failure with a saw that hasn't been used for more than 40 cords of wood.

Any other questions? Would you like pics as proof?
cd22e04dc17759cbadbbaf37250733b8.jpg

You know I have never thought of that possibility of not the correct amount of oil in the bottle! I will remember to check that from now on when I mix. I always mix a tad rich on the oil in case the gas pump is off a little.
Never assume the bottle is accurate . A separate graduated cup in millilitres / ounces is the best. Even then I rinse the cup out with gas to ensure all oil is utilized . Also a little xtra oil as you mentioned is a good policy when your cutting as much as Jeff has indicated .

I am sorry that this has hijacked your thread.

Thanks for the clarification we all assumed from your notes that you were cutting up to 500 cords with the J-Red for approx 2 yrs and were contemplating the same with the 455 Jeff , sorry for the curt response last nite my Bad . However if your only cutting a few hrs with your personal saw daily or weekends all should be good . 30 - 40 cords a yr is pushing it though even for a lower reving medium torgue range 455 in my opinion lol. P.S. I believe you are spot on with the obvious advantages a Professional Grade saw provides e.g. light weight with easy handling and quick response due to a higher compression , higher reving quality built engine . Also in my original response to the J-Red scenario I advised that 40:1 fuel mix would be advised along with proper tuning in the cut along with periodic plug checks to validate proper engine performance . This practice would even prevented the other Stihl saws failure . All the Best in your future cutting , be safe Dad !

Thanks for the clarification we all assumed from your notes that you were cutting up to 500 cords with the J-Red for approx 2 yrs and were contemplating the same with the 455 Jeff , sorry for the curt response last nite my Bad . However if your only cutting a few hrs with your personal saw daily or weekends all should be good . 30 - 40 cords a yr is pushing it though even for a lower reving medium torgue range 455 in my opinion lol. P.S. In my opinion you are spot on with the obvious advantages a Professional Grade saw provides e.g. light weight with easy handling and quick response due to a higher compression , higher reving quality built engine . Also in my original response to the J-Red scenario I advised that 40:1 fuel mix would be advised along with proper tuning in the cut along with periodic plug checks to validate proper engine performance . This practice would even prevented the other Stihl saws failure . All the Best in your future cutting , be safe Dad !
Thank you and agree as I would have a saw rich and replace a fouled plug than one lean.

The Red has had an issue now that I thought about it it may not be totally screwed. I will post about it in a min

I’m reading all this and just jealous you get free firewood from your job! Dang, must be nice!! What kinda truck ya got? And I’m hoping a dump trailer too....
Man I keep hoping to one day get a dump trailer. Right now I have an 04 Ford f250 with an 8 foot bed.
b69a619ef68132de0527d5db47aefdc8.jpg
fb48325515e9be6b63dacc123874f7a0.jpg

What type of wood do they use for ties?
It all depends on the market price on what hardwoods we put into RRT. But we use W Oak, R Oak , Ash, Beech, Birch, Hickory, H maple and S Maple and Cherry.

For the longest time Cherry market prices was so high that lumber was worth more than a tie, so for a couple years we did not make ties out of cherry and for a short time we did not make ties out of Red Oak.

RRT have a great market value and turn around time for payment is about a week. Lumber could take as long as 6 months to a year for turn around on your money depending on the grade.

Do you sell bundled wood? Your buyers gotta be happy with no dirty bark....
No, I have thought about it but I do not have the time, profit would be very generous 3 to 4 times higher but you would have to sit on your money for 6 months to a year.

Right now I sell everything green, because ain't no one got time to wait, if I bring in 10 cords a week, it's all gone by the weekend.

The wood thief will steal you blind on anything you leave set to dry, I am guessing this year I lost at least 10 cords of seasoned wood to thieves. I put up cameras and they took them as well. 300.00 in trail cameras this year.

I do believe this year I am going to try to dry 4 and 3 foot blocks to season. They are 120 pounds and bulky. Seems they could not handle them so they did not take any of the big stuff. They probably do not own a chainsaw. I hate to bring it into my wood yard in that length because then I end up with a lot of chunk wood I have to deal with. I prefer to load my yard with finish length ready to split. I only offer 18 and 24 inch wood, anything smaller than 18 inches is to time consuming and drives labor up. Plus the desired length fills the truck bed up nicely. I only sell my wood stacked on. Yep adds another 30 minutes to an hour on you time but I have never had a complaint unlike if you throw it on. Thrown on wood never looks consistent. You can make a load look huge just by making sure the wood criss crosses as you throw it. I have a pic of a guys load he throws on, he makes sure it criss crosses and stands on end and you would think you are getting one hell of a deal. Clear up to the cab. But I could stack it on my truck and he might have the same amount that I sell. Of course mine is 105.00 a load and his is 150.00

Clean wood makes for a happy customer

Jeff any success in the J-Red troubleshooting ? Also further to the 455 , is it new ? As to it not having enough ass , all the Ranchers are a slower cutting saw due to their lower rpm range . That is why they last so long within firewood usage the tortoise & the hare scenario lol. They are a little heavy for their output but for simple bucking other than the 465 are under 13 lbs . You may wish to consider a 359 type saw for better cutting speed & handling . However all high reving saws eventually burn up when used hard , to be expected. , nature of the beast ! Professional fellers often replace their equipment every 4-5 yrs , they cannot afford unexpected downtime . Very interesting job & lifestyle Bud !

Jeff any success in the J-Red troubleshooting ? Also further to the 455 , is it new ? As to it not having enough ass , all the Ranchers are a slower cutting saw due to their lower rpm range . That is why they last so long within firewood usage the tortoise & the hare scenario lol. They are a little heavy for their output but for simple bucking other than the 465 are under 13 lbs . You may wish to consider a 359 type saw for better cutting speed & handling . However all high reving saws eventually burn up when used hard , to be expected. , nature of the beast ! Professional fellers often replace their equipment every 4-5 yrs , they cannot afford unexpected downtime . Very interesting job & lifestyle Bud !
Not yet, wife has been down with the Flu type B, even with a Flu Shot. So I am taking care of every one in the house. But I do need to get back to work tomorrow as this doen time is driving me insane.

Back