Jonsered 2166 issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffreyZirkle

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So as we previously discussed in another person's thread, I have saw that has not cut very much and it is now disabled.

So let's start at a point that I noticed something a month ago. I cranked and cranked and cranked on the saw trying to get it to start. I replaced the plug and cranked on it and it still would not start. In a pissed off state, I slammed the damn thing down and began checking everything again, getting fire, plug was firing, gap measured, piston was moving to end and bottom end, getting fuel. Put the plug back in and it fire right up like it always did.

A week or so later, back to the same thing. Any if you know how to wear yourself out, just pull on a saw till your good n mad.

So after I was good n wore out, I decided to use the compression release, what's this, its already depressed. Hmmmm, well for ***** n giggles, let's pop it back out. Took my scrench and pried it back out and the saw fired right up. Well when I get time I will do some research. Time I never have anymore.

Couple weeks ago, I mixed a fresh tank of gas, filled the saw up, fired it up and within a few sec it it locked up. Now what I noticed after taking the pull cover off and spinning it by hand, it locks up just before the piston hits top end and again just before the piston hits bottom end.

Do think I broke a crank or that a bolt has backed out somewhere and something is hitting it. The saw really hasn't been worked that much.
8a167b714278e0e2a82e12a215526776.jpg
5dc1786e70ca1fd6be3d20bfde375844.jpg
297f78a4950b4947acdb6e81f7433063.jpg
b9492a4e864f82973ad0f4795f24ff81.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Is this one of the saws that allows the comp release to fall into the cylinder if you break it?

Repaired one that did same thing, piece of clutch had broken off and jammed saw, also have seen ignition module loosen and jam flywheel, clutch side bearing may have went and pieces on top of piston will only allow it to rotate 180. As stated above pull starter and clutch drum off and look for broken parts, where I would start, then muffler. Those saws are easily rebuilt, through nothing away.

Ever play with LEGOs when you were a kid? Hang out on this site long enough and you’re gonna figure out grown men play with saws & guns..... start disassembling it. If you don’t feel 100% comfortable, take plenty of photos with your phone for reassembly. There’s PLENTY of great guys on here to talk you through it

Ship it here. I like puzzles! Good looking low use saw, you have. GLWsaw.

I would pull the starter off and see if anything is catching the flywheel. If nothing is then pull the muffler and take a look. If you can't see the problem then pull the cylinder.
same
pull the recoil and check for obstruction.
not long ago a member here or on AboristSite
bought a new 2166 for nothing
the coil fastener had
come loose and locked it up.

Latest posts

Back