Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris have you got a ball park idea on pricing yet?

I wonder what happened to all the old poulan tooling

Honestly, yes, but it depends on what the trade and tariff situation looks like at the time these are produced and shipped. 25% duties are big bucks!

Contrary to what our president would have folks believe the tariff costs come directly from my pocket. The USTR requires my payment of it in order to release goods.

It appears that some mild agreement has been reached and some tariffs have been relaxed, but things have been generally unpredictable over the past 18 months.

Regardless, the pricing will be fair and equitable. I think our customers will find it worthwhile to upgrade to this cylinder over the standard 3400 :):):):):)

Honestly, yes, but it depends on what the trade and tariff situation looks like at the time these are produced and shipped. 25% duties are big bucks!

Contrary to what our president would have folks believe the tariff costs come directly from my pocket. The USTR requires my payment of it in order to release goods.

It appears that some mild agreement has been reached and some tariffs have been relaxed, but things have been generally unpredictable over the past 18 months.

Regardless, the pricing will be fair and equitable. I think our customers will find it worthwhile to upgrade to this cylinder over the standard 3400 :):):):):)

Cool as sums up the situation pretty well. Hopefully it will be smoothed over by then.

Thanks for doing this by the way it can't have been an easy thing to get done

I have 2 like it and they are a very nice saw, some of the last ones made and have all the improvements that had been made. Have 2 of the 3400 that look the same. I like the muffler cover better than the other 2 piece one, you can get them at partstree. Didn't post correct we are talking about the 3800

I think we'll end up seeing something a little closer to stock, to be frank.

Now a fella with a lathe......
Closer to stock won't hurt, gasket delete to bump it up, much bigger and then no power so to say. Feels like the first time I went to the Pro Bass Shop, kid in the candy store feeling.

Steve Sidwell

Closer to stock won't hurt, gasket delete to bump it up, much bigger and then no power so to say. Feels like the first time I went to the Pro Bass Shop, kid in the candy store feeling.

Steve Sidwell

Yessir Steve, man, I couldn't wait to open the box up when I got the first sample in. We've been working on this for 9-10 months now. I can't wait to see what the guys I sent them out to have to say. If I wasn't so busy I'd be pulling my hair out.

It's going to be so awesome to see guys putting them on their saws and taking them out for work.

Forgot to mention that I like that piston pin puller/installer design ya got, nice.

Steve Sidwell

Thanks for that! A lot of guys have made up some pretty ingenious tools to pull the pins.

I've parted out a lot of saws in my day and always struggled with a good solution to pulling those pins. As it turns out this thing really works pretty awesome. I'll link a video here....

Hey Guys!

This is Chris Thieroff and I'm the guy developing these cylinders.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Just to be clear, we are developing our own piston for these and are only using the LRB for testing purposes because our piston is still in development.

View attachment 788945 View attachment 788946 View attachment 788947 View attachment 788948 View attachment 788949

Hi Chris! looks like a hell of a good project you got going on there!

Cool as sums up the situation pretty well. Hopefully it will be smoothed over by then.

Thanks for doing this by the way it can't have been an easy thing to get done

It's been a little bit interesting and a learning process. I've also made some other changes to the setup not related to the rings, but I think they will be welcomed overall. Since they're being made overseas and the international standard is metric these days we went ahead and opted to tap all the holes in the cylinder as metric. With that being said, though, we will also be including a 6/pc hardware kit with each cylinder to help guys simply convert to metric. We also changed the intake bolts and the 2 longer muffler bolts from a hex cap bolt to a socket cap bolt. This will improve installation ease and you could also head down to your local hardware/Fastenal/Tractor Supply and grab a couple pieces of hardware if you had to.

The idea is to ship the cylinders with the following:
  • Cylinder, with insignia cast in it
  • Piston, with insignia cast in it
  • Rings
  • Wrist Pin
  • Hardware kit (2/pcs short muffler bolt, 2/pcs long muffler screw, 2/pcs intake screw)
  • Upper Cylinder Gasket Set (Intake to cylinder, intake to carb, cylinder base gasket)
Thanks to guys like @Todd Loosli for giving me a second set of eyes and to everyone else for making conversation about this!

IMG_20191228_175220.jpg IMG_20191228_175225.jpg IMG_20191228_175251.jpg IMG_20191228_175256.jpg IMG_20191228_175258.jpg Photo_1564433281287.jpg

Posting pics of the 3400 parts saw for someone.

P+c look usable even. :eek:

Most had been stripped for a 4000. Fly, recoil, tank at one time by a past owner. Then he traded it all to me for some PP380, 3450 saw and stuff.

p34.jpg p34x.jpg p34xx.jpg

It's been a little bit interesting and a learning process. I've also made some other changes to the setup not related to the rings, but I think they will be welcomed overall. Since they're being made overseas and the international standard is metric these days we went ahead and opted to tap all the holes in the cylinder as metric. With that being said, though, we will also be including a 6/pc hardware kit with each cylinder to help guys simply convert to metric. We also changed the intake bolts and the 2 longer muffler bolts from a hex cap bolt to a socket cap bolt. This will improve installation ease and you could also head down to your local hardware/Fastenal/Tractor Supply and grab a couple pieces of hardware if you had to.

The idea is to ship the cylinders with the following:
  • Cylinder, with insignia cast in it
  • Piston, with insignia cast in it
  • Rings
  • Wrist Pin
  • Hardware kit (2/pcs short muffler bolt, 2/pcs long muffler screw, 2/pcs intake screw)
  • Upper Cylinder Gasket Set (Intake to cylinder, intake to carb, cylinder base gasket)
Thanks to guys like @Todd Loosli for giving me a second set of eyes and to everyone else for making conversation about this!

View attachment 789215 View attachment 789216 View attachment 789217 View attachment 789218 View attachment 789219 View attachment 789220
I've never seen a new cylinder, that looks nice.

Steve Sidwell

Back