Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn’t bring home any of the ash from the new honey hole. I promised the guy I’d clean up this spot before moving onto his other spots.
Definitely wishing I had a bigger truck, but this little truck sure beats the 2wd 4cyl S10 I once owned. That poor truck did a lot of firewood for my sisters house when she was single (between husbands).

Attachments

• 79FADD2A-3C6E-46FA-B212-40D864736780.jpeg
    79FADD2A-3C6E-46FA-B212-40D864736780.jpeg
    8.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 4CDDCC8F-EF7D-4193-82D8-07A0606BDD55.jpeg
    4CDDCC8F-EF7D-4193-82D8-07A0606BDD55.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 175EBE88-776E-4A30-AB4D-DF9446F95798.jpeg
    175EBE88-776E-4A30-AB4D-DF9446F95798.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 29
They're a bear to start in the cold (-32°)because your spinning the pump/oil too. Put a little space heater under it for 10 minutes and it'll fire right up.
At -32 I dont think my splitter would start. Cause i would probably just stay inside by the stove.

Broke the cherry on the new splitter, Black Diamond 25 ton.

I fooled around for the lasst two days with the snowblower making haul roads to get the chunks to the splitter. Then woke up today with temps going into the 40s. Had I waited a few days the snow would have been gone.

I am a bit dubious about it supposedly being a 2-stage but the dealer said it was. Didn't hit anything to need that today

Much faster (smaller cylinder) than my old Troybilt. Kept me hopping to keep up with it.

One tuff SOB to get started this morning. Briggs engine. Pull untill I had to stop to rest then back to it. Just get a pop or two. Play with choke. About a 1/2 hour before it decided to play. Probably a matter of learning what it wants. It does fire on the first pull warm
Same splitter I have. Starts first pull for me, but mine stays inside in the garage, not heated but never freezes either. I'm happy with this splitter. Does everything I need.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

A little sniff of QuickStart gets them 4strokes started :D
We've something similar here downunder:

SCA_13169_hi-res.jpg

20200116_193411.jpg Well I sharpened the 4 saws I use the most for tomorrow. Most people bring extra chains . I like bringing extra saws. I do have an extra for each though. Best file I've ever used. All ready to go in my basement @87° go into my warmed up truck tomorrow. View attachment 789149 20200116_190137.jpg 20200116_191957.jpg 20200116_185453.jpg

SS396, maybe barter your truck and trailer to haul to my house a few loads and you take a load of cherry home..... you’ve seen where I keep my splitter and rounds, think you can back into there?
Sounds good to me. I wish I had the area like you to do firewood right off the road my road is a 18% grade then my driveway is 400 yds to where I do my wood.
In can do Sundayif that works for you then I can go see my mom who is recuperating at my sister's just off of upper road

Got up at 4.30am and drove 2.5 hours through lake-effect snow in the dark to meet a guy selling a Stihl 036 Pro and 038AV Super before he left for work. $650 CAD for the pair. They're grimy, but I think they'll make great firewood saws once cleaned up. 036 looks to be in particularly good shape under the dirt.

$650 wahhhhhhhhhh

Sounds good to me. I wish I had the area like you to do firewood right off the road my road is a 18% grade then my driveway is 400 yds to where I do my wood.
In can do Sundayif that works for you then I can go see my mom who is recuperating at my sister's just off of upper road

two variables, if the snow is a lot.... I have plow duty at the dealership. Second, I have to check with the wife.....

For all the fellas recommending me to get a bigger truck, just remember the old blue war wagon.

when loading the truck tonight I kept looking down at the hitch to see if it was touching yet. Until it touches I’ll never have reached Dancan level of scrounging proficiency. That guy and that legendary van have helped mold me into the scrounger I am today. E536B554-1BDC-4E9C-BDBF-7A11724C5AE5.jpeg

So I ordered a half dozen of the bacho double bevel files a week ago. I got an email saying they were out of stock and wouldn't be in till the 22nd a few days later. Today I got another email with a tracking number that says they will be at my house saterday. I'm so confused by all this but atleast I'm getting my files sooner then I thought.

In all seriousness, I talked to a guy about his ‘91 full-size Chevy. He’s the maintenance man at our Church, nice guy. I drive past his house on my way to town, seen him wrenching on his sons Honda Ridgeline. Stopped and talked... think that 1500 will be coming home soon. It doesn’t have the springs or rear of the 2500 I was looking at, but this ones front tires will spin too and it has 4 forward gears instead of the old TH400 only 3. Time will tell....

My dream vacation is a case of beer and Uncle Mikes cabin. No noise and no work. It’s my “fortress of solitude”.....

Harold and I are leaving in the morning … for 2 days … with a few bottles of Red Wine, some shotguns (bird season is open) and some 22s. Also bringing the 223 ,,, just because!

My cabin is Mtn Top two miles in off the grid, so I also bring up a deep cycle battery and hook it up to the inverter for lights. Cabin is 20 X 24, two stories. Post and Beam with 6.5" Ash milled with the chainsaws.
Sounds like a great place!! Always enjoy reading and seeing pictures of the cabin (and Steve’s too). Sounds WAY better than a cruise!
Snow let up and sun came out for a bit yesterday, -10 but nice to see the sunF340016B-30DB-45F4-9DB0-9BECD525FD1D.jpegThanks to some inspiration from @turnkey4099 and a break in the weather I blew some snow away from some red fir and tamarack and going to try to get some split up tomorrow to ease the withdrawals 1837E108-FA6F-4740-BEA1-314FCF511AF6.jpegand horse trailer is still full from last load of the season that needs split 23BA2F92-950C-4CAD-8F5F-87AAD31D116E.jpeg And... wood shed has some very enjoyable splitting lodge pole rounds stashed in itE595863A-73DA-4CDC-91C3-AC97EBC903E0.jpegTomorrow is going to be a great day!:)
Won’t get it all done but nice to have the options.
Oh and last picture is deer at the ex mayors house in town, he feeds them in winter. When they get low on feed they kick at the door with their front feet.

Attachments

• F6885E44-EBEE-4B83-B8FC-E5BA18AC56BE.jpeg
    F6885E44-EBEE-4B83-B8FC-E5BA18AC56BE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 34
Sounds like a great place!! Always enjoy reading and seeing pictures of the cabin (and Steve’s too). Sounds WAY better than a cruise!
Snow let up and sun came out for a bit yesterday, -10 but nice to see the sunView attachment 789182Thanks to some inspiration from @turnkey4099 and a break in the weather I blew some snow away from some red fir and tamarack and going to try to get some split up tomorrow to ease the withdrawals View attachment 789184and horse trailer is still full from last load of the season that needs split View attachment 789185 And... wood shed has some very enjoyable splitting lodge pole rounds stashed in itView attachment 789186Tomorrow is going to be a great day!:)
Won’t get it all done but nice to have the options.
Oh and last picture is deer at the ex mayors house in town, he feeds them in winter. When they get low on feed they kick at the door with their front feet.
Nice pics Nate, lots of work to do, but it sure is rewarding.
I've almost reached the midway point in using wood and loading wood. I have just over half of one bay left in the shed for this yr and around half full for next season loaded in. I think the rounds pile I'm splitting from will get it real close to filling next seasons wood up. The good thing is I have plenty more for many yrs beyond. I'm hoping to stay on top of filling the bay I'm burning from this yr, so as soon as this season is over it will be loaded for two seasons from now.
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 8.36.15 AM.png
I'm going to pull some wood from my big pile of for sale splits in front since I want to drop the elm that the pile is starting to surround.
It's the one on the top right in the picture. The pile right behind the trailer is mainly black locust :sweet:, cherry, red oak in that order, that will be for 3 seasons out.
Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 11.09.08 AM.png

Back