Pferd 2-in-1 file size question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I bought a 2-in-1 Pferd Cs-X Chain Sharp Filing Guide at the TCIA show. Was using it for probably the 3rd time today and didn't seem quite right... Looking closer I see it is for .404" instead of 3/8" (my chain size).

I bought it from the Pferd booth. I told them I needed 7/32" for 3/8" chain. They said with the guide, they recommend using 13/64" files...but since I already had several boxes of 7/32" files it would be OK go with that.

However...now I'm seeing the spacing between the teeth is not quite right.

So to the point: will the 7/32" files fit into the 3/8" guide if I buy that?

Dangit...7/32"

Fixed in OP

So will the 7/32 fit in the Pferd guide for sharpening 3/8" chain (designed for 13/64")?

I have the Stihl version for 3/8 chain. The 13/64 files have a bit of slop, so I strongly suspect the 7/32 file would fit.

BTW, I’d sell this thing pretty cheap if you want it. Listed it Saturday on my local FB marketplace. It wasn’t the thing for me.

What did you figure out.
Unfortunately the 7/32 file doesn't fit. I thought for sure it would because like @JW51 said, there is a little slop so it seems like 1/64 would squeze in there. Probably could get it to go, but don't want to crack the plastic - I can buy 2 dozen Pferd files for a buck less than having to replace the guide!

I already bought a Pferd one for 3/8". Have a Sthil branded one for .325 chain as well (Stihl saw as .325 all others are 3/8 so it makes it easy to grab the right one).

Unfortunately the 7/32 file doesn't fit. I thought for sure it would because like @JW51 said, there is a little slop so it seems like 1/64 would squeze in there. Probably could get it to go, but don't want to crack the plastic - I can buy 2 dozen Pferd files for a buck less than having to replace the guide!

I already bought a Pferd one for 3/8". Have a Sthil branded one for .325 chain as well (Stihl saw as .325 all others are 3/8 so it makes it easy to grab the right one).
Thanks for the response, I recommend these to guys often, but don't have them myself. I should probably have one of each size here at the house for those who want to buy one.

I know where you can get a Stihl for 3/8 cheap...

I admittedly suck at hand filing. Have gotten much better before I used a 2 in one. Buying better files helped a lot. I had the original model for 3/8 chain 1st and it did pretty well. Bought the .325 new model guide for new saw and really like it so bought the other for 3/8 (and accidentally .404). They really do a great job. Even more than helping with rakers, it is really easy to keep the angle and depth of file on tooth.

I know where you can get a Stihl for 3/8 cheap...

I admittedly suck at hand filing. Have gotten much better before I used a 2 in one. Buying better files heled a Had original model for 3/8 chain 1st and it did pretty well. Bought the .325 new model guide for new saw and really like it so bought the other for 3/8 (and accidentally .404). They really do a great job. Even more than helping with rakers, it is really easy to keep the angle and depth of file on tooth.
I'm listening :).
Glad you said it, because your the guy I recommend them to lol. What's important is you recognize your own weaknesses, that's how we grow or get help and its one thing that separates successful people from those who are to prideful to admit them.
I do pretty well with free hand filing, but like the husky roller guides myself. What I like about them is I can see what I'm doing as well as what the file/tooth are doing. I think its important for those who want to get good at filing to be able to see the relationship between the file and the cutters( seeing and understanding what is happening are some of the keys to getting good at sharpening).They also help keep the file up on the tooth if the gullet has been taken back too far which is sometimes the case on my chains because I grind many of them, which the 2 in 1 will also do.
What part of the buckeye state are you in, I get to the NW corner on a normal basis.

Yeah..I think what I used to do wrong was getting the file too deep. Guide helps with that.

I'm in Findlay
I should go get a picture of a chain I have in the basement :eek:. Went to look at a couple trees he wants dropped, he'll cut them up, I saw his chain and ran home and brought him a bar and chain 30 min later.
I took the chain home that night and started to sharpen it and found a broken link, not sure it was all from his filing, but it certainly didn't help matters. I'm just glad I stopped him and he listened to me:cheers:, could have had a different ending. The guy who used to sharpen his chains was know by everyone around here for sharpening and he also did tree work, he was killed while limbing a large tree, cut the last supporting limb and the stem rolled on him.

I know Findlay, iirc it's 80 miles south of the Michigan line. I used to get a lot of funny looks driving down that way with an 8-axle trailer back in the day.

Latest posts

Back