New chain grinder. Angles?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerD

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of setting up my new Jolly Star chain grinder. I take care of equipment for a municipality so I have many different brands of chain but mostly Stihl saws. Is there a standard set of angles to use or do I need to try and find info for every different brand chain? None of the users are professional sawyers by any means. Lots of rock, asphalt, concrete hits. Can I get away with 30/60/0 or should I add the 10 when called for? Will they be able to even tell?

Another quick question....What do you use to clean up chain? I looked on YouTube and found guys using Lye, Kerosene, Westly's White Wall cleaner.

I usually re-profiled my chains to 30/60/0. Generally when I did someone elses chains I would eyeball it. One was real odd, and I did re-profile it and told the owner. He didn't seem to care or maybe didn't understand what I was saying. YMMV.

25/55/10 on everything. I'll soak my chains in old gas/kerosene, grind, then "rinse" them off with gas/kerosene & hang them to drip off. I touch the rakers up when I put them on the saw.

If I'm not going to use them right away I'll soak them in ATF for a few mins, let them drip off & put them away.

Back