New Echo CS 590

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis F

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new to the site but I have read a few threads over the last couple weeks regarding 50-60cc chainsaws.

Anywho....., I picked up a new Echo CS 590 yesterday. Yay me!

I got out today and ran it for the first time. The saw runs AWESOME, when it runs.... hence my post here.

So, I am running non-ethanol 90 octane gas mixed @ 50:1 with the echo Red. The saw starts well and runs well for about 20 minutes. After about 20 minutes something weird happens. I don't know exactly how to explain it but the closest thing would be, when I pull the throttle it acts as if the choke is closed and quits. The saw restarts immediately but I can not hit the throttle otherwise it will die.

Todays ambient temp was 15°F. I initially ran the saw as is out of the box. After the first instance of stalling I moved the cold air thingy (?). The problem persisted.

Wondering if anyone has had similar issues?

Thanks in advance,
Travis

Oh, forgot to mention......

This isn't my first saw. I have been using chainsaws since I was a teenager. I grew up on a farm so had to help Pops out.

My last saw was/is an EFCO 152. That saw runs good but I needed a newer, bigger saw as I recently installed an outdoor wood burner. New house, new boiler, new saw....
Ugh!

Travis

Welcome.
If saw is new i would take it back. I will be under waranty.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Really? Not meant to be snarky, just surprised ;-)

The saw "seems" to run great and then suddenly it doesn't. Would a new saw resolve this issue or is there some user error that I am overlooking?

Travis

Carb screen is plugged up or otherwise has trash in it more than likely. If it’s under the first few months take it back or to the echo dealer to fix it for free.

Geeze, Echo's are probably my second favorite saw. I've liked every one I have had. I still have 5 of them. If I had your problem I'd be at the store where I got it in the morning. My local Ace is an echo dealer and they have the best service you could ask for. Your symptoms don't really ring any bells with me. Even though it seldom gets that cold in my part of MD, I don't think it's a temp issue. It will be in the 20's here the next couple days. After 50 plus years in the tree business, I don't think a saw can tell what the temperature is. They might be a tad harder to start when cold, once they warm up, it's business as usual. Maybe someone more familiar with the newer generation of saws will jump in. Me, I'd be at the shop first thing tomorrow.

Really? Not meant to be snarky, just surprised ;-)

The saw "seems" to run great and then suddenly it doesn't. Would a new saw resolve this issue or is there some user error that I am overlooking?

Travis
I don't think it's user error. It's a new saw, with good fuel, good oil, proper mix. Unless you got a batch of bad fuel, a glob of dirt fell in the tank, I'd take it back. My guy would either hand me a new saw or tell me what it is. I hope your dealer is like that.

I'd like to try that saw out, but have too many now.

Sadly, I didn't buy the saw at a dealer. I got it at Home Depot because I was there to get a frost free spigot and noticed they had Echo saws... First time at Home Depot ( normally Menards or Lowes), oh yeah, new town too....

Is Home Depot good with returns on power equipment?
Travis

If you haven't pulled the limiters and tuned the saw for that cold temp its probably scored the piston from being to lean. Runs till everything heats up and expands then doesn't have enough compression to run above idle. Pull the muffler and check the piston.

Well, crap! I was hoping it was user error and there would be something I could change to resolve this but it doesn't sound like it is. I have to be honest, I'd be really disappointed if it f'd up the piston/cylinder so quickly. It's making me rethink the purchase overall.

Travis

I highly doubt you damaged the cylinder or piston running the saw with factory settings at 15F. Just think about how many chainsaws and other 2 strokes are run at all temps without being rejetted. Most consumer saws are shipped with non-adjustable needles (unless you get the special tools), do those all burn up at 15F?

So don't beat yourself up over that idea. My money is on ice in the carb, something froze up. Carbs love to freeze up at those temps, that's why dedicated cold weather equipment with carburetors, like a snowblower, duct hot air into the intake.

I bet after your saw warms up and thaws out it will run like normal again. Also, it's not uncommon to have some water in your gas, no matter where you buy it or how careful you are with it. A tiny bit of ice would easily plug a small passage in a saw carb.

I highly doubt you damaged the cylinder or piston running the saw with factory settings at 15F. Just think about how many chainsaws and other 2 strokes are run at all temps without being rejetted. Most consumer saws are shipped with non-adjustable needles (unless you get the special tools), do those all burn up at 15F?

So don't beat yourself up over that idea. My money is on ice in the carb, something froze up. Carbs love to freeze up at those temps, that's why dedicated cold weather equipment with carburetors, like a snowblower, duct hot air into the intake.

I bet after your saw warms up and thaws out it will run like normal again. Also, it's not uncommon to have some water in your gas, no matter where you buy it or how careful you are with it. A tiny bit of ice would easily plug a small passage in a saw carb.

Well, that's the thing. It ran great UNTIL it warmed up. It's got me stumped (no pun intended).

The carb has a warm weather and cold weather setting apparently. If you see above I made the switch and nothing changed.

I am just having hard time wrapping my head around the saw running great for 20 minutes and THEN having problems. Seems like an iced carb or iced gas would show up immediately. But I don't know. That's why I asked :)

Travis

Take it back to Home Depot and tell them it doesn’t work right and ask for a replacement or your money back. My step dad had a similar issue with a cheap poulan 10 years ago from Home Depot land they took it back and gave him another no questions asked it happens the first day he used it and he got another the next day. I don’t know if the customer service is still that way but it’s worth a shot.

Well, that's the thing. It ran great UNTIL it warmed up. It's got me stumped (no pun intended).

The carb has a warm weather and cold weather setting apparently. If you see above I made the switch and nothing changed.

I am just having hard time wrapping my head around the saw running great for 20 minutes and THEN having problems. Seems like an iced carb or iced gas would show up immediately. But I don't know. That's why I asked :)

Travis

It can be very frustrating to diagnose an inconsistent problem!

When we are talking about warming up your saw, i think we are talking about two different things. I mean that once it starts running poorly, if you brought it inside your house, next to a fireplace etc and thaw it out, the problem might clear right up.

I think you have one of a few possible things happening :

- Air intake (filter, etc) plugging up with ice, etc and choking off air

- Carburetor is icing / freezing up, starving it for fuel, air or both

- Tank is not venting due to ice, starving the carb for fuel

Well, I got back out today for a little bit to cut a truck load of firewood and see how this little bugger would run.

nearly the same conditions today. COLD! 14°F is not a whole lot of fun.

Anyway, the 590 ran great with not stalling. Granted I didn’t run it long but it ran past the point it would previously stall out (I think)

One thing I did is “fiddle” with the tank vent after running it Friday. When I did that I did hear air going into the tank. By “fiddle” is just mean I moved it around with my finger. I pushed out it and wiggled it.

I am hoping this has resolved the issue. Possibly just a “stuck” vent valve from the factory.

This thing rips! I’m loving it so far! Breezes through red oak like nobody’s business! Fingers crossed the stalls are gone.

Travis

Back