Can’t get my orange tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Cant get my single orange tree to bear fruit for decades. It’s outside all summer and inside we’re its warm all winter?

Bored today so I'll take a stab at this one. Oranges need pollinators (bees), guessing your tree being in the Northeast isn't out side in March & April when in flower.

My son bought a orange tree seedling back from Florida. I think it’s a decade old now. It’s grown over 6’ tall now. No flowers yet. Well give it more sun. I’m going to buy a seedling to go with it.

I've read that citrus trees need water and temps in the 40's during coldest winter months to flower in spring. I'm in zone 4 and can't grow citrus. In Maine we graft peach to prunus (meaning plum) rootstock to stretch our temperate zone a bit.

We bring the tree inside every winter since it’s potted. I purchased another one to pollinate as I been told here I need two. It’s not here yet.
If these trees don’t cross pollinate there headed to the cord wood pile. They have one year left.

Try a meyer lemon, lime, or Calamondin.... something with small fruit.
They do better in a forced climate.
I tried oranges and they don’t really finish right even if you do get one to go.
The trees can grow large but they don’tvget into a groove flowering.
Lemons and limes can produce.
My mom grows Calamondin for marmalade with really good success. (Seattle area)

Wintering indoors may be your issue.
Some trees trigger flowering from a cold shock.
With those, the auxins to trigger flowering won’t kick into gear without a Cold spell. (More than just one night)

How is a second tree going to help when the issue is no flowers?
Right there, another tree won't make it flower, but only could help to pollinate. My thought is that whats left of march temps will be almost 100% above freezing where I am, plus April could have a few below freezing nights, by May chance of freeze has passed with day temps nearing 60's so that's as close to a zone 8 or 9 winter as you can get in New England. A heated greenhouse is probably the only other way.

Back