CAD relapse MS500i, 338xpt, MS 241 CM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardhat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I was patiently waiting for MS500i to be released in December and when it got delayed, I couldn't wait anymore and bought one from Greece from Dan on this forum. Then got looking on here for muffler mod info and such. Ended up buying a nice 338xpt from the trading post that is still sitting in the box in the shop. I'll check it out this weekend.

Then I saw about the 241cm and all the rave talk about the little saw. I already have a 550xp and need another saw like I need a hole in my head. Anyways when I found out they were discontinued, I started looking for one. I found a new 2018 model in florida (7 hour drive) on sale for $395 (super cheap). Paid for it over the phone. They are gonna put a 16" stihl light bar on it with 3/8lp ps63, 6 pack of ultra to double warranty, andextra chain. Out the door for $480 (including tax).

Planned a little vacation around the saw purchased that will involve Busch Gardens in Tampa and Seaworld in Orlando over Mardi Gras holidays.

My CAD was in remission until this firewood season, but I really like chainsaws and appreciate all the other folks out here that like them as well.

On a positive note, I did sell my 441 c-m as the ms500i is now my go to big saw. MS500i is quite a bit lighter than the 441cm and much, much stronger :)

Will do the louver type muffler mod on 241 and advance timing when I get it. Had to buy rotary tool for upcoming muffler mod, so can add that you my CAD price tag.

This is a real disease folks, I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about chainsaws.
Enough rambling, I'm sure someone out here understands.

I feel ya. I was dreaming about a saw so hard I went and counted all the cash under my mattress. Turns out I had more than I thought! I was halfway back to my phone to start writing a PM when I remembered I need a wood stove in my shop. Relapse averted for a short time.

I wouldn't do the louvre style muff mod. Get a deflector and do it properly. This way you can retain a screen, direct exhaust gas better when you turn saw on its side (louver can send exhaust into your face), and it can let debris/water into your muffler/possibly cylinder. Trust me I know from experience why the louver is not a good idea. :( Even just open the existing port. A member (red97 I think) sell deflectors if you want a dual port. Pls don't do the louver to such a nice NLA MS241.

I wouldn't do the louvre style muff mod. Get a deflector and do it properly. This way you can retain a screen, direct exhaust gas better when you turn saw on its side (louver can send exhaust into your face), and it can let debris/water into your muffler/possibly cylinder. Trust me I know from experience why the louver is not a good idea. :( Even just open the existing port. A member (red97 I think) sell deflectors if you want a dual port. Pls don't do the louver to such a nice NLA MS241.

I can see the exhaust in the face thing when saw is on its side. I'll heed this advice and open up the existing port and see how she does. I'm kind of lazy with my muffler mods. I figure if I mess one up, I can get a replacement muffler and that way haven't messed up a perfectly good chainsaw for life.

But I've already ordered the rotary tool......oh well, I'm sure I'll find a use for it. I'm not a huge fan of muffler screens. My MS150 top handle screen got plugged with carbon and gave me fits until I figured out that was why the saw was running like such a turd. Haven't started a fire in the woods yet (at least not with a chainsaw)

Always appreciate the advice that is given on this site.

I can see the exhaust in the face thing when saw is on its side. I'll heed this advice and open up the existing port and see how she does. I'm kind of lazy with my muffler mods. I figure if I mess one up, I can get a replacement muffler and that way haven't messed up a perfectly good chainsaw for life.

But I've already ordered the rotary tool......oh well, I'm sure I'll find a use for it. I'm not a huge fan of muffler screens. My MS150 top handle screen got plugged with carbon and gave me fits until I figured out that was why the saw was running like such a turd. Haven't started a fire in the woods yet (at least not with a chainsaw)

Always appreciate the advice that is given on this site.

That 150t is suffering from EPA constipation. Take the deflector off the muffler. The muffler outlet is obvious under the screen. It’s so small a pencil won’t fit in there. Grind away the entire inset. Probably don’t need the screen but if you want it back in there just burn it clean with a torch.
Also delimit your carb. That was probably the original problem that clogged the screen. Tiny trim saws run at WOT with almost no load a lot, so they need to be tuned leaner on the H than the limiters allow.

345B9AD6-FA53-487E-9091-B880DA10895B.jpeg 4E0F9F2C-29A0-4D19-9C0D-47CCBE1329E8.jpeg 44F341EA-5B95-4FC4-B0C8-5FA67EA11E8C.jpeg

Sorry for the de-rail.

There are several threads on the 241 Muff mods. I think the general consensus is that opening the existing outlet is a PITA and not quite enough area. A small Red97 deflector on the FW side seems to be the most bang for your buck without welding. Similar on the 500i IIRC.

No sweat. I opened the outlet up quite a bit on the 150t and ditched the screen. My dealer popped the limiters off the caps for me. I advanced timing (Brad Snelling walked me through it) and I call it my "little hotsaw" Runs like it is mad at the wood :).

Back