Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the plan tomorrow (provided we don’t get too much snow where I would need to drive my wife and daughter to the basketball tournament) is to get another load of blowdown aspen from my neighbor’s woods. That would then cover me through January meaning all of January’s wood was scrounged during the month. Then I can go back to the pile for the rest of the winter and should have enough to make it through.

There’s still another half cord or so of wood up on the power line right of way as well that I’d like to get hauled in by snowmobile and sleigh.

Hey Matt … Harold and I said "It was a cold and windy day"!!! (Inside joke … that is how my Uncle [who taught me and Matt's Dad how to hunt] used to start almost all of his hunting stories), and he could tell stories!

1st - The F-150, with Blizzack tires, goes up and down snow covered 4wd roads like it is on dry ground!

Going up the mountain, we had to stop the truck for a grouse that was in the middle of the road … thought that was a good sign, but it turned out to be the only grouse we saw! It got very cold, and very windy. Woke up to 5*F this morning, and it never got over 10* all day long. Luckily the wind let up in the afternoon, but it is always humid up there, and the cold just goes through you.

We had several "episodes" of snow, so it always stayed fresh, and not many tracks. We jumped two deer while searching for grouse, found a single set of coyote tracks, and on the way down the hill came across large bear tracks (I thought they would be hibernating by now).

The wind last night was ferocious and relentless, and we struggled to maintain enough heat in a two story 20 x 24 cabin with uninsulated plywood walls. So earlier today we discussed plans to insulate.

Too tired to download pics now, but I'll post some tomorrow.

So Matt, the next time you ponder having another that you don't think you should have … just think of some of my old friends.

Jimmy, Baby John, Wolfman, Big Al, Tim B. and Franky I. are all gone, and only one of them was older than me. Goon and Kevin are also both younger than me and are both are currently in rehab facilities. Kevin has not been able to drive his own hot rod for over a decade.

Then remember what your Grandfather used to say: "Mother Nature gives you the fist 40 years, after that you better work on it"! The older I get, the truer that becomes!

Pretty excited to see how these turn out, going to do a detail strip/clean on both saws. Dug into the 036 Pro already, doesn't look like it's ever been cleaned out, lots of muck and crud in it.

Headed to my Grandfather's place tomorrow to finish bucking his woodpile (he'll have enough for a few years there). Might touch up the chain on the 038 AV Super and see how it cuts. IMG_1699.jpgIMG_1700.jpg

In my younger year about 17years ago..... I’d drink till 4am and be at work by 7am. Now, closing in on 40 ummmm nope. Just enough to get the edge off and then sleep time.
I was putting down a minimum of 2 6packs a day from mid 20s into my late 70s. Working shift work and using it to get sleep in. Wife kept complaining about it but... Anyhow Icut it waaayyy back and now 3-4 brews a day.

Well shucky darn...Finished split/pile the 10th cord and then planned how to get the splitter from there across sthe woodlot to the stack of rounds...then realized I couldn't do that. There is 4 cord there to do but it is planned for the space taken up by 4 cured cord waiting for deliverhy in the spring. That leaves me with around 1 cord or a bit and I will be cabin bound for the rest of the winter.

Supposed to snow again tomorrow for and inch or two. I'll just shovel a path over to that 1 cord pile and manually split if I can find the wedgs and sledge. Got about 8" snow on ground. Shovel rather than fight that snow blower again...It does not do well at all in old snow and most of what is on the ground is around a month old.

that eucalyptus have an interest smell when you burn it...... like eucalyptus oil’s?

They all vary, some smell not so good, some smell quite nice, but the wood smoke doesn't smell eucalyptussy. The leaves when crushed give a strong eucalyptus smell typically and also some when they burn...which we've had a bit more than we'd like recently.

266SE saw is so clean, gonna feel AWESOME getting her dirty

FIFY. You know you will :chainsaw:.

You know the saying " Firewood warms twice". Lol, it's more like six times as you cut and haul and split and stack and move and finally burn. Spent some time at the firewood gym this morning, moving wood from my racks under the deck to up top adjacent to the door next to the stove. I stack about a day's worth or so next to the stove. Hopefully this load will last a couple weeks, roughly half a facecord here.
302f522c1f9a4f98a15559d78070cce4.jpg
e58beae9cc5970f5f59f8c98755b5d12.jpg
ad7d10eae4fe54fb8e7339f5d134a70b.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Nice load there Matt, good to see the big guy working with you! Anything with a mix of Locust is a great load!

And speaking of Cherry, Harold and I found a ton of dead trees to harvests, some standing, some down. A lot of them off that old road to Warren's that I want to re open.

My 50 acres used to be about 40% Cherry and 40% Ash, but lately Black Birch and Red Oak have been moving in. Although there are a few good size trees up there, I've never had Oak firewood up there.

I almost forgot, the 261 did the deed on that Black Birch you posted the pics of across from the cabin. I told him to leave it, but Harold cleared most of the brush.

27 days since that official start a winter here and 27 days above normal temperatures. Today the 1st day below normal coincidently also means below freezing I'm going to buck a downed tree. Got spoiled with weather this year.
Went some snow you way, just trying to help :).

Chipper, the 266 looks like it is in as great a shape as I last seen it. Has a new OEM piston and cylinder on it with less than a tank run through it. Starts and idles fine. Gonna put the file to the chain and hopefully (weather permitting) throw some chips this weekend.
Looks great, good little saws.

Pics aren’t the best cause it’s snowy. Another widow maker down. One more widow maker and two totem poles to go in this area, at least from what I can see. The second widow maker has a lean and the crown is hanging from the tree rather than being tangled up so should be a bit easier.

C7F39CE8-3F35-4CB9-9D31-0A0FF74EF08C.jpeg A627579B-45C9-41BE-BF83-A9C6A590E3CE.jpeg FB45A730-9950-4C0C-87BD-8D01AFC824D7.jpeg CEB9A889-9171-439B-945A-579553F6C098.jpeg

Got the large widow maker processed and loaded. Was getting a pretty bad headache by the time I was done and a handful of Aleve wasn’t helping. Drank a big glass of saltwater and I’m feeling a lot better. I don’t normally need it in the winter but I must have been dehydrated from yesterday.

9C4CF806-53C6-4C8B-8455-AE2D2C351882.jpeg
38144D19-6908-4249-B430-B921531F0D14.jpeg 71ED7D43-318D-4C85-9FBC-6992D8AC1556.jpeg 19BD23C3-C675-4D1A-BBE3-C5622A9341D6.jpeg

is that the Craigslist spot?
Yup . He took down the add. Haven't seen anyone else on the property. Two loads like this today. Next week I'll start on the bigger maple that is down next to this one.Didnt take the trailer as the winch crapped out on me. But it was $249 when I bought it 4 years ago. And I abused the hell out of it20200118_115120.jpg

Back