Milling long dead logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have lots of chainsaw experience but exactly zero milling experience.
I have a lot of large logs I would like to start cutting slabs from.
They have all been cut into logs at least 15 yrs ago and some I know as long as 30 yrs. These are all Australian hardwood so the timber is still fine.
My question is once I have slabbed them will they be stable enough to use straight away or are they still going to warp, etc if i don't stack them, etc, even since they have been dead for so long.
Thanks in advance .
Brett

They are probably not going to be useful as structural timber but its possible to use them for a lot of other things especially furniture.

Heres a jarrah log that was cut down in ~1930? and I milled it for a friend in 2010.
It was probably not milled when it was cut down because it has significant twist but by now its so dry it will not move after milling
cut1.jpg

Inside it was still solid as and had plenty of features
Bigslab1.jpg

The friends and I used some of the timber to make a workbench.
The legs came from another much younger tree.
FInishedBench.JPG
The friends also made the built in seats for an octagonal gazebo and a Pizza oven support bench from one of the thick slabs.

Here is another jarrah log (actually that's a branch from the log which is still there) from the same friends property as the logs above that has been down for ~80 years
DSC00289.JPG

Not bad for serious termite country - fortunately there are heaps of trees around that termites like better than Jarrah.
DSC00291.JPG

Thanks for that Bob.
My stuff is all east coast stuff, e.g. Bluegum, Narrow Leaf Ironbark, Stringybark, etc.
Yeah will only be used as slabs for furniture.
You have me beat for age, the oldest log I know for sure I cut from a big Bluegum that was washed over in a flood (undercut bank) back in early 80's.
Others could be older just can't confirm.
Thanks Brett

Back