What's your maintenance/care "schedule"/approach for your saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much what most others have said. Sharp chain, good fuel mix, oil in tank, only clean air filter when really dirty. I also blow out under clutch cover once in awhile, but that is about it. They are tools meant to be used and get dirty. Cannot see me ever spit polishing my saws, got better things to do.

That's some serious dedication.

When you rely on the income maintenance matters? I sold 50+ cords a year and replaced it with 50+ cords per year. My saws were sharp, tuned ready to go at that first call.

I did demo saws for other guys who bought from my dealer. They were cleaned and polished.

I should note that, while some seem to think that more than “fuel and oil” is overkill, I view all that as an easy break during an otherwise busy day. Anytime I run out of fuel, cleaning it a bit and refueling is a good break. Sharpening is an awesome break!

I check the air every time they are ran and retune the carburetors as necessary.
When ever something seems off about how they are running I pull the muffler, check the piston, fuel lines, clean out the carbs, and check all of the cylinder bolts. I've had cylinders come loose while cutting but luckily I always have tools to fix that on hand. I also tear them down at least a few times a year, give them a deep cleaning, and I just like to do it.

Back