help a guy with one hand find the right bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hander

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so.... i have use of only my right arm.. my favorite saw is the 08s..sentimental reasons of course..

im rebuilding an 08s right now and i would like to ask you guys who use 08s with different bar lengths. which bar i can use,, maybe some you guys might have a couple different lengths you use on your 08s, i know its asking alot for you too change and try all our bars.. so i apologize for that ,

what i would like to know is what length bar you guts might be using that gives the 08s a neutral balance if possible when holding it with just one hand on the throttle.. close to horizontal or just a bit nose heavy..
im afraid of of it being to rear heavy because of the chance of kickback,

there may not even be possible to accomplish what im looking for
rick

Have u ever used a top handle saw like a 200t or 201tcm etc? I appreciate that you are attached to the 08, but I have a feeling that if u run a th saw with a 14” bar (or 16”) if u need the length, u might really like it.

As an aside and if my memory serves me correct, when I played with a pals 08 with a 24” bar it was well balanced but over barred for the holm oak we were cutting...depending on what you are sawing you might find that the only way to get a nose heavy 08 is by over barring it :popcorn2:

I think your best option would be to get a top handle saw, you can get one of the joncutter top handles for under a 100$ to get the feel of a top handle to see if you like it.

I don know the saw. It must be a top handle then? No two handed saw can be close to balance from the back handle grip? If that's what you mean then the lightest and shortest bar. You can research weights. Sounds like an old saw?
At minimum you need it to have both inertia activated brake as well manual so you can release it when activated.
You should be using a top handle.

How do you go about starting the saw with one arm? A top handle might be more difficult to start with one hand.
I used to work with a one handed groundie...he had a bracket on his truck that would hold the saw so that he could safely start it :rock:

to start i put my left knee on the handlebar, my right arm is a little over developed these days..just have to be careful of the chain on startup.
i had a small piece of rope on the starter hand at one time that i would grab the right side of my jaw
and then just give er yank downwards, but i dont do that no more..LOL

and yes i see what westboastfaller meant about a the balance point being wrong.. even though the 08s is a top handle the cylinder is a vertical instead of layed back like an 015.. so weight is always forward..will never balance by the handle.

i made a rig that goes around my right upper bicep and has a connection from the bicep to the handle bar to help get the weight off my wrist.. and get the bar up and over things...im working on some other designs ,,cutting sideways is not easy at all.. its a heavy sucker..but if it was easy everyone would do it with one hand.

i have an 015 that im attempting to reseal, rebuild, put a new piston etc etc and get running, that saw is a little gem for a 1 handed guy. i really loke this little saw, if i cant get it running again ill replace it with a 200T

thats awesome, i shot mine pretty much the same way, only difference is i use a small piece of leather attached to the bow string under and above where the arrow nocking point.. and i use that as the release..its crazy because i became more accurate with one arm than i was with two arms. i have supreme respect for a man like that.. never quit...never

Latest posts

Back