5100 idle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolmar 5100 Idel problem

I am about 5 tanks in and the idle hang/fast idle is getting worse. Would the metal carb ring be a possible solution?

The only little grape I have with the 5100S is that the trottle response (accelleration) isn't like a Husky xp or a MS361 (not a huge difference, but notisable) - adjusting the "L" side doesn't help.

Apart from that, the saw has run perfect since it arrived here.

Based on the great advice on this site I first checked the carb screws. They were loose 2 turns.

I then checked the air filter. It was unbelieveable! After only 5 tanks and about 3 weeks the INSIDE of the filter was loaded with crap! It would appear that its not getting through the filter but through the inlet. The fitting did not seem great. Is there a fix for this...better filter, boot ect...?

I believe this symptom is due to the throttle cable sticking in the arched groove it slides in. Lubricate it with powdered graphite, and my saw returns to idle better.
Scott

get the metal ring

I went through these problems with my 5100 a year ago and it now runs like a champ. First, the air filter needs cleaned much more often than my Stihls. I actually carry a small can of compressed air in my chansaw case. I stole it from work but they sell these for a couple bucks at computer stores to clean keyboards. I blow out the carb area and filter every time I use the saw.

Second, I had one of the earlier models that came without the metal ring on the boot. After I intalled the ring my problems went away completely. I think it cost $2.

No real filter problems with Witchys 5100SH made dec 2006 so far, but as expected it needs cleaning more often than most Huskies.....:)

but as expected it needs cleaning more often than most Huskies.....:)

attachment.php

dirt ingestion Huskys never need cleaning.....:) :)

I am looking to buy the metal ring for the carb boot for the DOlmar 5100

Intake ring part # 181 131 020 in stock sells for $1.00 plus shipping it takes a couple minutes to install. Your Local Dealer should have these available and warranty it for you. If not I can sell you one.

Scott

I know this is an old thread but my saw is having very similar problems. The idle races after she gets hot. During initial startup and warm up there's no issue but once I start bucking 14 to 20 in rounds of hardwood the idle will race.

I bought the saw new in 2008 (serial number starts with 0806) from a dealer out of state who shipped it to me. The closest dealer to me is probably Edge and Engine, who used to post here (not sure if he still is around) but they are more than an hour away. Running the 18" Dolmar bar with 3/8 .050 chain. Has the fleece air filter and metal coil/ring on the engine side of the green boot. Also has the black foam ring on top of the carb. I blow out the air filter and carb area a minimum of every 3-5 thanks of gas. Saw has only ever seen ethanol free fuel mixed with some sort of synthetic oil between 45-50:1. Saw sees heavy non-commercial use (has cut 50+ cords of firewood) but is very well cared for. Original carb with limiter caps in place. I've never touched the carb until this started happening over the last 6 weeks.

What I've done so far:
1.) Tightened the carb bolts - got about 3/4 turn out of them. Does anyone have a torque spec?
2.) Attempted to adjust idle and L screws with no luck. Seems to run great during warm up and with light cutting but race when hot no matter what I do. H screw is all the way out against limiter.
3.) Sprayed some dry lube on the throttle cable/linkage.
4.) Attempted to spray carb cleaner around the green boot - not sure if it got sucked in the air filter or not but one time the engine stopped. The other 3 attempts produced no change.

Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back