McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, by now everyone should know I'm cheap, I don't like paying more than $10 or $20 at best for old saws. I posted about this one a while back. While visiting friends in NC I found an old saw shop with a Mac 200 under the work bench. He said it was running and he wanted $50 for it. My wife is going back to visit, and they are supposed to go by and see if it's still there. I told her to offer $35, that's over my max, but it is supposed to be running.

Now, at our friends house he had his FIL's old Mac. He said it was junk and wouldn't run. He didn't have a socket or wrench to pull the plug, so I just pulled the plug wire off. It had spark, so I put a shot of mix in it and it fired right up and kept running. Runs and sounds great. It's missing the flag handle for the chain break. Since we were last down to visit, I've kind of developed a hankering for a 10-10. It's a Pro Mac 10-10S. I tried to talk him into an electric chainsaw because he just never uses power equipment. So, what should I offer a friend for a saw he doesn't need? It does need the chain brake handle.
I've bought them for as little as 10$ and as high as 100$ , a saw someone isn't going to use and has no sentimental value? 20$ .

Thanks, it's a 200 not a 250. I had no idea a 10-10 was worth that much. I kind of figured it would be in the same ball park as an XL12. Guess I was out of line on that one. I'll just ask what he wants for it. I've taken trees down over his house for him for free. I was getting ready to say I can't think of any thing I would have to trade and I remembered I made his live edge, bark on, mantle pieces and a set of sliding barn doors for his new timber framed house for free.
HxzUoCf.jpg

Y9Kgfp9.jpg

dHI87FN.jpg

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Soggy day in North East Tennessee. Got worse when I learned that the Woodlot has been turning new cutting jobs away due to all the wood already on the ground, thus no new cutting assignments for Blind Squirrel and associates. To preserve our cutting future, Brian, Lee and I went into loading and hauling mode. The Deere and I loaded. Brian, Lee and the faithful F150 hauled and unloaded. Probably have close to five more loads on the ground at today's site not counting several loads that are still standing (our little reserve for a no wind day as all are tricky falls).

Brian left his 800 with me to shorten up some logs to fit the dump trailer. What fun. His 800 in its rebuilt state seems to have as much power as it did in its pre-catastrophe too lean state. In other words, at least to me it seemed to run noticeably faster than my favorite 800. Nice sharp chain didn't hurt. At the risk of being run off this thread, it was also nicer to my unmuffled ears with its stock muffler than running my 800.

From the chainsaw lab comes the question of MACgnesium versus MACluminum. Has anyone identified within the ten series what interchangeable components exist in both metals?

From the accounting department comes the questions with the hot market: 1) Should an inventory reduction of SP125Cs be undertaken? 2) If so, how many should be retained? 3) and 4) Same questions for adjustable jet 125 carbs.

The lab and marketing department and accounting are at each other's throats over the future of the 101B saws. Citing the 2017 disaster with the rebuild of the authentic PNW 101B, the unfinished kart carbed 101B sleeper project, related incomplete 101B projects and the incomplete secret ten series project, accounting says something has to go. The ten series project seems secure for now though everyone sees an untested weak component that could result in significant cost overrun. Accounting has its eyes on the $$$ resting in all the 101B parts (including the spare motor), but also makes a good argument that a .100 over piston needed to resurrect the PNW original cylinder is likely unobtainable. Personally, I am torn as I have put a lot of effort into the PNW saw.

PNW 101B as acquired - blowing 196 psi with a mysterious binding rod.
View attachment 789738

One and only time I ran it - not even broke-in from Brian's rebuild.

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses

I dont know if " projects" are likely to satisfy the accounting department, but a running saw of that caliber is practically ridiculous and probably for only a serious collector.
I would think you'd take a pretty significant hit on anything not running, but I could be wrong.
Parting stuff out is time consuming and requires dedication, if your time is cheap that might be the way to go.

I had no idea a 10-10 was worth that much.

Normal 10-10's usually aren't and indeed normally fall into the typical XL12 price range. The 10-10S can be a different story due to the extra displacement and the fact that there aren't nearly as many just floating around as the normal garden variety 10-10's.

Nice wood working btw!

Thanks, it's a 200 not a 250. I had no idea a 10-10 was worth that much. I kind of figured it would be in the same ball park as an XL12. Guess I was out of line on that one. I'll just ask what he wants for it. I've taken trees down over his house for him for free. I was getting ready to say I can't think of any thing I would have to trade and I remembered I made his live edge, bark on, mantle pieces and a set of sliding barn doors for his new timber framed house for free.
HxzUoCf.jpg

Y9Kgfp9.jpg

dHI87FN.jpg
I love my Homies but to be honest the XL-12s I have couldn't touch a 10-10s in any cutting situation, even with brand new bar and chains , the 10-10s was just in a different league, the only advantage modern saws have are antivibe , I wouldnt even say weight because to buy the kind of power that saw has in modern terms you'd have to buy a bigger saw.
Guys who say rpms are higher can't put a 24" bar with an 8 pin sprocket and cut with it,but the 10-10s will happily.
I'm sure your friend will treat you right.

More pictures from today's Blind Squirrel Felling:

IMG_0406[1].JPG IMG_0408[1].JPG IMG_0409[1].JPG IMG_0410[1].JPG IMG_0413[1].JPG

What Ron does not know is I keep his trusty PM800 Detuned so mine will run better....LOL

And by the way we took a vote at Blind Squirrel Felling and the vote was to bring all your McCullochs to the shop and let me keep them until you come to your senses...LOL

Brian

Man, that is some great mantels

Brian
Thanks, Brian. The mantels were a lot easier to make than the barn doors. The doors are all old, 30-50 year old, Oak fence boards. In the pic you can see on the top door, that the center brace is not the same size as the rest of the boards. Since they were rough cut they range from 6" to almost 7" wide. I had to pay attention and pick all matching boards. In that pic I wasn't paying attention and had to take half the door apart and redo it. The finished doors hanging look better. After I gave them to Kim she said she saw a set for sale at a craft show that were no where as nice as mine, for $3500. Don't know it they sold.

If you cleaned that saw up you probably could get upwards of $100 on eBay

edit: not saying you should sell it, just giving an idea of value
I guess that's one reason I'm so cheap buying them. I all but never sell one. One of our members said he wanted to restore a Homelite so I gave him a Super 1050, an XL900 series, a Zip and I think it was 4 XL12's. If somebody says I like that one, I usually send it home with them. Just not my big ones anymore.

I've been meaning to ask you if you have a 4300 Mark.

If you do, could you post a pic of it?

Thanks
Picked this one up not long ago let me know if you want anymore pictures of the 4300. I was also the guy that ended up with the Pro Mac 800 on ebay with the busted up oiler
I do have all the parts to fix that one if things go good. Kevin

Attachments

• 20191129_120145.jpg
    20191129_120145.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
Hey there, I am new to this forum and was told to go to this thread after asking for help with an early model 10-10 Automatic. I am working on it for a friend, he brought it to me saying it hadn't been run in about 35 years. Typical issues from sitting, dirty points, varnished carb, etc. The fuel tank was dry and clean also. I cleaned and gapped the points at .020", nice blue spark. I cleaned and rebuilt the carb, installed a new fuel line and filter, new plug, and it started, but died immediately. I had both screws out at 1 1/2 turns. I tried richening them both by about 1/2 a turn each and same problem. Starts then dies. I tried to choke it while it runs but within about 4 seconds it quits. This morning I took the carb off and removed the high speed welch plug and checked the screen, and it was clean. I replaced the plug, put it all back together and it's still not wanting to run, and at this point it seems like it's getting flooded. I did use the Walbro tool (This saw has the Walbro/McCulloch SDC carb) and set the metering lever height accordingly. I am NOT going to give up on this saw, and besides, it's not mine. I also noticed that a small stream of gas comes out of the gas cap, but I think the vent is just bad. Also, I cleaned out the muffler too but honestly it wasn't that clogged. At this point i'm stumped. (No pun intended) Any suggestions? What I might do is remove the other welch plug and soak the carb in my ultrasonic cleaner. Thanks.

Hey there, I am new to this forum and was told to go to this thread after asking for help with an early model 10-10 Automatic. I am working on it for a friend, he brought it to me saying it hadn't been run in about 35 years. Typical issues from sitting, dirty points, varnished carb, etc. The fuel tank was dry and clean also. I cleaned and gapped the points at .020", nice blue spark. I cleaned and rebuilt the carb, installed a new fuel line and filter, new plug, and it started, but died immediately. I had both screws out at 1 1/2 turns. I tried richening them both by about 1/2 a turn each and same problem. Starts then dies. I tried to choke it while it runs but within about 4 seconds it quits. This morning I took the carb off and removed the high speed welch plug and checked the screen, and it was clean. I replaced the plug, put it all back together and it's still not wanting to run, and at this point it seems like it's getting flooded. I did use the Walbro tool (This saw has the Walbro/McCulloch SDC carb) and set the metering lever height accordingly. I am NOT going to give up on this saw, and besides, it's not mine. I also noticed that a small stream of gas comes out of the gas cap, but I think the vent is just bad. Also, I cleaned out the muffler too but honestly it wasn't that clogged. At this point i'm stumped. (No pun intended) Any suggestions? What I might do is remove the other welch plug and soak the carb in my ultrasonic cleaner. Thanks.

Ok sounds like you have covered it all. You could crank the jets in and block them off and the use a bottle and keep it running with and see how you go perhaps your just flooding it.

Back