Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I was cutting some of the bigger locust pieces and the 262 turned off. Figured it was outta gas. Grabbed the 266 cause 362/372 was at home. Finished cutting, filled the truck and went home. Get home, unload and go to gas up the saws. 262 isn’t empty...... hmmmm. Try and start it, she don’t feel right. Feels like decomp is pressed and it’s not. Compression gauge comes out and only 100psi. VERY frustrated! I mix 40:1 with Stihl orange bottles and had it tuned to 4stroke out of the cut and clean up in the cut. BEYOND FRUSTRATED right now! WTF!!!!

I don’t know if the decomp was leaking or what, it seems to be all on that clutch side!View attachment 789665
i have never burnt up a saw at 32/1 just my 2 cents my condolences to your saw and you

Well it snowed off and on all day, and is still snowing!

Progress was slow but got a second load laid in this afternoon. Ended up using the second widow maker up to the break, a few rounds off the bottom of one totem pole before it turned punky, and the entire trunk off the last totem pole.

7BA5FB2C-9284-49F1-83A8-1A8FF7F96244.jpeg 71059B11-0D86-46F4-A888-3BA76B5EF97C.jpeg F5236524-24B2-4D9C-A208-6E91DDF91067.jpeg

One of many splits that was loaded with flying ants. I left them out for the birds but they were covered in snow fairly quickly. Those rounds are stored outside until they will be put directly into the boiler.
C6305B1B-974F-4189-935F-15970A5DA72D.jpeg

Outside and inside racks are full.
C06FF654-3E5D-441D-A43B-0ADBECF50073.jpeg 4D9C8A20-6079-4F42-95CA-E83740DAEC4F.jpeg
Bonus of some cast iron cookware in the last pic that I’m restoring.

I was a wet and tired boy after all of that plus a couple hours of plowing. Dinner was three burrito sized tacos and a bacon cheeseburger. Cornbread for dessert.

We got about 8" of snow today and it's still snowing and blowing. Same as down by Cantoo. One of my buddies is a Newfie and I took this pic off his page. It my favourite Newfoundland blizzard pic..lol
235e5838ae28ccc34dc4c3a1c701abf8.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

We got about 8" of snow today and it's still snowing and blowing. Same as down by Cantoo. One of my buddies is a Newfie and I took this pic off his page. It my favourite Newfoundland blizzard pic..lol
235e5838ae28ccc34dc4c3a1c701abf8.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
That's crazy :surprised3:.
At least the door is better insulated now lol.
My question is, where are the cars :crazy2:.

Yeah. It sucks but in the big picture of life.... it’s just a saw. Kids are healthy and so is my wife. So, oh well, it’s been fixed before....

https://www.baileysonline.com/meteo...ainsaws-replaces-503-53-11-71-mpa-pc1650.html
Best attitude you could have right there :cheers:.
Good thing you had the 266 along for the trip :).
I've used those pistons before with good results, but if you can get an oem that's even better.
I'd guess it's more likely a crank seal let go than the decomp or ingesting something, but having a screen isn't a bad thing as long as it's still able to breathe enough.

Chipper, When I took the muffler off it had a few pieces of wood scrap in it. I think from it bouncing around in the bed of my truck, it might have ingested some thing. This thing has a very large outlet on the exhaust. Just took a break from plowing at the dealership when I get home I’ll send a picture of the outlet on the muffler

Welp, time to go get a bacon egg and cheese then start cutting.

Trust me Uncle Mike, I’ve cut wayyyy back from last year. Used to be about 18 a day, everyday. Now just the weekends.

18 bacon egg and cheese sandwiches a day[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

That is REALLY bad man.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Steve, I’ve built many an engine for guys that abuse them on the dragstrip. I would not want one of them coming back looking at me when they blew it up at the strip. I’m not gonna point my finger at anybody except myself. That thing ran like a raped ape, I’m very happy with the build I got.

Steve, I’ve built many an engine for guys that abuse them on the dragstrip. I would not want one of them coming back looking at me when they blew it up at the strip. I’m not gonna point my finger at anybody except myself. That thing ran like a raped ape, I’m very happy with the build I got.
Drag racing and a woods ported saw are two different things though....not blaming the builder without seeing pics but you should figure out what happened and let them know. It may change the way they build future saws.

Apples to oranges but I sold a ported, piped sled to my brother in law. He ran it full bore for ten miles straight and was pissed at me when it blew. That’s abuse. Cutting wood with a woods ported saw should last for years.

Chipper, When I took the muffler off it had a few pieces of wood scrap in it. I think from it bouncing around in the bed of my truck, it might have ingested some thing. This thing has a very large outlet on the exhaust. Just took a break from plowing at the dealership when I get home I’ll send a picture of the outlet on the muffler
I've had them ingest stuff and they didn't look like that.
Drag racing and a woods ported saw are two different things though....not blaming the builder without seeing pics but you should figure out what happened and let them know. It may change the way they build future saws.

Apples to oranges but I sold a ported, piped sled to my brother in law. He ran it full bore for ten miles straight and was pissed at me when it blew. That’s abuse. Cutting wood with a woods ported saw should last for years.
I'd just ask the builder what he wants me to do. He may want to do a forensic investigation on it himself.
If he's pretty close I would certainly try that route, besides I do whatever I can to get out of working on them myself :p.

I'd just ask the builder what he wants me to do. He may want to do a forensic investigation on it himself.
If he's pretty close I would certainly try that route, besides I do whatever I can to get out of working on them myself :p.
Very good point sir

Well, I was cutting some of the bigger locust pieces and the 262 turned off. Figured it was outta gas. Grabbed the 266 cause 362/372 was at home. Finished cutting, filled the truck and went home. Get home, unload and go to gas up the saws. 262 isn’t empty...... hmmmm. Try and start it, she don’t feel right. Feels like decomp is pressed and it’s not. Compression gauge comes out and only 100psi. VERY frustrated! I mix 40:1 with Stihl orange bottles and had it tuned to 4stroke out of the cut and clean up in the cut. BEYOND FRUSTRATED right now! WTF!!!!

I don’t know if the decomp was leaking or what, it seems to be all on that clutch side!View attachment 789665

All them scores on the piston are on the hot spot. Basically at 2 o’clock on the piston... did she overheat ?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Sharp chain tossing good chips like pouring out a bag of corn flakes. And it was FREEZING today. I’m wondering if leaving it out in the cold made the crank seal brittle. It was in the back of my truck all night and it was 10 this morning.... the 266 was downstairs on my reloading bench all night. I dunno?

Back