What’s your favorite mid sized saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky 359 probably the sleeper of the mid class saws for me at a competitive price in its time .
Yes definitely my personal favorite. It was less expensive than the 361 and felt better in my hands. The problem was the plastic intake clamp. Husqvarna came out with such an easy fix -you wonder why they did just do that in the first place.

Well, if it's still available, pass along the dealer's info, there's plenty of guys who'd love to get there hands on it.
He is a Jonsered dealer and he said he has like (20) of them and a few 2253's. He is worried because he will be selling Redmax now and won't have a 60cc mag cased saw.

Like I said, pass his name along, there are guys looking for them who can't get their hands on new ones.
Yes I will ask him. He's in WV and I don't know if he would ship them. They're new but I when I asked he said he accumulated them over the years. I know some of the earlier models had problems but do you know around what year they got all the bugs worked out?

To ME, Mid Sized would 55/60-80cc,

My "Old Reliable" 266XP, is a saw that I will Never part with.

I would Love to track down my Dad's old Mac SP 60, I know where it went, I just don't know how to get a hold of his Friend's Widow, or if she even still has it, but I am Hopeful

The 372XP is one that I would like to Have.

Skeans High opinion of the 562XP , carries a lot of weight with me, and is another that I would like to some day, add to my collection, uhm, Addiction;)

Doug :cheers:

The 550, 562 and 572 is all based on the same principle. You just cant get around it; it's an admirable effort to pursue the failure of the 20 year old engineer that is just graduated from exploitation school.

The 550, 562 and 572 is all based on the same principle. You just cant get around it; it's an admirable effort to pursue the failure of the 20 year old engineer that is just graduated from exploitation school.

I don't know what you think is wrong with them, once my 550 settles in, it is a Great saw.

Skeans makes his living with saws, and thinks Highly of the 562

The 572, I don't have any experience with, and honestly I don't hear much said Good or Bad about it

I don't know what you think is wrong with them, once my 550 settles in, it is a Great saw.

Skeans makes his living with saws, and thinks Highly of the 562

The 572, I don't have any experience with, and honestly I don't hear much said Good or Bad about it

Nothing wrong mate, the top of the shelf :rock:

I’ve always considered 60-80 cubic centimeters as the “mid size” of saws. Of them, my favorite of all time is the 372XP. Any of the three versions. The OE was lighter but the low end wasn’t as good. The one with the cut off saw jug met the “there’s no replacement for displacement” category and the X-Torque version had the best power band, and it’s not much heavier than the OE.

They all feel pretty much the same in my hands, and they all feel really good in my hands. The rear handle might be a problem for the soft-handed and no gloves crowd, but I wrap my ugly pieces of meat attached to my wrist in gloves and that takes the abuse of those hard corners. Great air filters, and they’re very smooth with stiff enough springs where they don’t hit the stops with a long bar on. Oh, and did I mention the Husqvarna front handles actually align with your wrist in its relaxed position?

The MS 461 is a very strong contender, as is the MS 441C-M. But there’s something about the combination of ergos and power with a 372 that just makes it feel so much quicker when I flick one around in the brush.

I second your definition of mid-sized saws. Saws under 60cc are smaller saws and saws in the 70-80cc range, aren’t particularly large.

And I can only speak to what I have run, but so far my Pioneer/Partner P45 and my MS460 are my favorites. Ive had an MS310, McCulloch 605 and an older Craftsman/Poulan that I wasn’t as impressed by. I still have the P45 and the MS460, while the others are now gone.

Got a like new, lightly used DCS 520i at auction for 15$. Put 40-50$ in parts. 18” 3/8 LP b&c . Weighs 1 lb and a few oz less than my 028s with 18” .325 hard nose bar, both fueled and oiled. The 520 seems like a light stick. Never run the vaunted 346. Maybe someday.

my pops old 08s... i know they are not the fastest, and they vibrate like all hell.. he had four... those 08s never failed to start and put food on the table.
i know there are lots of other amazing stihl saws...but the 08s has a special place in my heart...when i die i will make sure that each of my sons gets one of my freshly rebuilt 08S's.

You might like this one better:
View attachment 789633
It sits 6' away from that one. I made them both back in my professional woodworking days using quartersawn oak. Both get a lot of use.
After seeing your work bench I decided not to take any pictures of mine....

50 70 90

I've had multiples of 50 60 70 and 90

No since in anything smaller than 50 60 just doesnt fit in
So 70cc right in the middle

Any color 70cc will work for me

Back