Where do you draw the line?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on whether it's a flip, for me to run or the collection.
On a flip, if I bought it right, then a c& p OR a crank replacement is where I top out. If I can still make at least $100 on a pro grade saw I'm happy. Blowers and weedeaters I'm happy with $25 some times.
Personal runner, I usually have several of the same model and rob parts off them so it tends to be less investment than a flip saw.
For the collection, often "what ever it takes.
2stroker

Small to medium size saw I look for a decent looking piston / cylinder or feel like they have good compression, have spark and no major broken parts and good av mounts. Things like a carb , fuel lines and crank seals, base gaskets along with chain sprockets are pretty easy fixes. If the saw has a good bar and chain I consider that a bonus because you usually have to replace that on just about any used saw.

On the larger saws depending on the make and model I'll consider top and bottom end work with parts replacement provided the saw is in decent shape and parts are readily available and not to outrageous to buy. If the saw can be fixed for about half of what it would cost new it is worth it for a larger saw but not worth it for a smaller saw because there are more small saws around than the bigger saws.

This is all based on initial purchase price . The best ones are freebies of course or under $50 .

Depends on the background of the saw (IE did it belong to someone important to me), the condition it’s in, and how much work it needs.

I dropped way too much into a few of the first saws that I worked on so I know the slippery slope all too well.

If it’s a flip it could turn into a keeper considering the cost to repair it. I think we can reach a point we’re recouping our investment is lost. Is there a market for a completely rebuilt stock saw?
Let’s say,
Example,
A used husky 350 saw low compression. $175
1. Slightly Scored New piston kit. $50
2. Crankbearings, seals, gaskets $50
3. Carb manifold, bellows. $50
4. New plastics $75

The saw is completely refurbished.

What do you do? Put new piston rings on the cleaned scored cylinder and sell it? when I rear about low compression it tells me a scored cylinder. Fix it half ass and sell it let the next guy fix it?

If it’s a flip it could turn into a keeper considering the cost to repair it. I think we can reach a point we’re recouping our investment is lost. Is there a market for a completely rebuilt stock saw?
Let’s say,
Example,
A used husky 350 saw low compression. $175
1. Slightly Scored New piston kit. $50
2. Crankbearings, seals, gaskets $50
3. Carb manifold, bellows. $50
4. New plastics $75

The saw is completely refurbished.
You will be living with that saw at that price forever. It's easy to get upside down on a saw, select one you would not mind keeping to rebuild.

You will be living with that saw at that price forever. It's easy to get upside down on a saw, select one you would not mind keeping to rebuild.

Exactly that’s my point. Once we’re invested into it we’re married to it. No one will spend a large amount in a rebuilt saw.

The bottom line,

Is it a fixer upper? Vs A roller over the way it is?

I’m not going or looking to get rich I just want to keep busy. Like my husky dirtbikes I was up to 27 bikes with 15 restored. As I built them I became attached. It’s hard to part with them. I did it all from bare frame and up, splitting cases, boring cylinders ect. Rummage through boxes of used parts picking the best parts for each bike, I know eventually I’ll do the same with saws.

For me its all about wanting to get the saw back in service, and everything else is second.
Sometimes its because of who previously owned it.
Sometimes its because I like that model saw.
Sometimes it is because I want to be able to tell myself I fixed it.
But, I have never sold one, and it is out of hand with 25-30 running saws and another 20 or so projects staged to do.
I have never thought I would be making money off of this hobby.

It all depends on what saw we are talking about.
If bought as non-runner or nearly so I must come off ahead even if by just a few dollars. It's a matter of principle.
If it's mine and has stopped working it all depends on a complicated equation whose main variables are spare part prices, my patience and how much work I still have to do because the damn thing died on me.

The slower you go, buying parts a little at a time you never pay attention to how much you actually have in one!

Seems like most guys fall in love with their saws.. even if they pick them up way used and just do a quick fix.. i have wanted to buy a decent mid sized stihl or husky and it seems like the saw looks like it was dragged under a pickup truck 500 miles on a gravel road... and they want 50 percent of a new saw... or its in good shape or has some new parts in it and now they want 75 percent of a brand new saw.. that just makes no sense to me... no history and no warranty and saving 140 or 170 dollars off buying a brand new saw with new bar and chain and warranty... and thats an older pro saw.. a stihl consumer saw used for 175 or new for 300 dollars ?? Whats the point ?

Back