Echo CS501-P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitfiddleMike

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey folks, I purchased a new Echo CS501-P a while back and just got around to using it today to clear up some blow downs on my property. I don't even have the first can of Echo fuel through this thing and she was ripping when all of a sudden I went to rev her up for a cut ad the chain would spin. I shut it down to check out what may be wrong and as I was removing the cover screws noticed the cover was broke near the bottom. I continued and it turns out the problem was the chain wheel on the end of the bar. It was oiling fine. I worked it loose and put it back together ok but can't help but wonder what may have broke the cover. I can still adjust it and tighten it but this thing didn't make it through one little job. Anyone had an issue with these bars and clutch covers? I wonder if this part is warranted?
Thanks, Mike

I’ve had good luck with my cs-501p so far. Have you checked tension on everything? The cracked cover should be taken up with your dealer.

Yes take it to the dealer and report back to us what they said.

I know what my dealer would say, you will have to wait a day or two for a new cover and I have a new bar in stock.

:D Al

If you read the reviews on the Echo CS 400 there were a lot of stripped chain adjusting screws. I have never had a problem with mine but I have owned chains saws long enough I know to lossen the bar nuts before attempting to adjust the chain.

I cn also see some one installing he cover and not getting the adjustment pin in the bar hole. Especily if they were working on a assembly line and had to do a bunch an hour.

Stuff happens.

I think we needed to see some Pics here so that we could analyze what really happened. OP said, "I continued and it turns out the problem was the chain wheel on the end of the bar."

What "cover" did a chain wheel on the end of the bar supposedly break and how did it do that??

Summary:
I pinched end of bar on previous cut. Did not realize this at this time. Chain would not spin.

Went to remove clutch cover to assess the situation when I noticed the cover was cracked below the two mounting bolts. I had not had the cover off before that.

Adjustment screw was still functional so I was able to finish the job.

Dealer replaced under warranty and kept cracked cover to return to Echo. Sorry, no pics were taken.

I still want to know how a pinched bar chain not moving cracked the clutch cover.

if the chain didn't jump off over the clutch drum and the clutch didn't explod that story doesn't hold water.

More like was cracked from the dealers and you just happened to see it after pinching The bar.

Hey Mike, my uncle used to play the guitfiddle. Not many folks around here know what they are. lol.

Going away back in chainsaw saw time, we would have a new guy on a job, and he would rest the bar on a log and then pull the trigger. Not realizing the torque a saw can produce, and not having a good grip, instead of the chain spinning, the saw would grab into the bark and shoot forward, smashing the front of the saw into the log. This was usually with big saws. I know we had to replace several fuel tanks on our Homelite Super 1050’s. Not saying it’s what happened, just that it could, and that could break stuff.

I had not even realized the bar was pinched when I went to remove the cover. I'm pretty sure it had already been cracked and I didn't know it until I went to remove it. I never claimed the pinched bar caused the crack.

I just wanted to see if there might have been a problem with this model.

Latest posts

Back