Let's Talk Ultrasonic Cleaners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been lots of threads on Ultrasonic Cleaners (USC) here on A.S., but hard to find with the Search function. Was able to dig these up, where a lot of guys talk about the cleaning solutions they use, tips, etc.:

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...-put-into-your-ultrasonic-cleaner-usc.233002/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ultrasonic-cleaner.121324/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ultra-sonic-cleaner.266037/

Philbert

Did you just re-join the forum or have I just missed you. I see you’ve been a member here since 2006. That’s quite a long time

I have a 6L USC w/ heating function and use it mostly for carbs, I've brought a few carbs back into service because it zaps the crud that just putting carb cleaner or air though the carb couldn't clear out.

Now I must say that the USC is not a cure-all, It does give you an edge and almost an extra set of hands in a flooded shop to get working on other things while it runs, it gives you peace of mind (minus the noise it makes) that once a carb goes though it and still isn't working right, you won't feel as bad when you replace it.

A big part of how effective the USC can be, is the cleaning solution you use. You can get the expensive "official" USC cleaning solution if you want, but there are alternatives (even dish soap) that will work just as good. You'll have to experiment and find what you like or works best.

Just make sure that the solution you use isn't corrosive to what you're putting in the USC, a few carbs were stripped of their aluminum shine and were given a almost grey/black powder finish (lesson learned).
The ultra sonic cleaner is great to have and I'm quite happy with mine, I hope this helps you.:cheers:

I bought my father-in-law the HF one for Christmas. He’s worked on small engines for years and never had one.

I’m jealous.

I know that’s not a great or high capacity unit, but just having the ability to properly clean small carbs would be huge.

Never used it in and ultrasonic cleaner...but Simple Green is a great cleaner. When hand saws are full of pine sap, I'll spray them and leave them in the sink and spray them once more amd it just wipes off.

Never used it in and ultrasonic cleaner...but Simple Green is a great cleaner. When hand saws are full of pine sap, I'll spray them and leave them in the sink and spray them once more amd it just wipes off.
Don't use regular Simple Green on aluminum though, it will damage it. The extreme Simple Green is made for aluminum.

Same thing Lostone said with a product made by ZEP. Its there purple strength cleaner. It will also etch aluminum. Learned the hard way on a diamond plate tool box.

Same thing Lostone said with a product made by ZEP. Its there purple strength cleaner. It will also etch aluminum.
ZEP (and others) make a variety of purple cleaners: some contain sodium hydroxide (lye). Some don't (have to read the labels carefully).

The stuff with sodium hydroxide is really good for degreasing chains, but will discolor, etch, or damage aluminum with enough exposure.

Philbert

Don't use regular Simple Green on aluminum though, it will damage it. The extreme Simple Green is made for aluminum.
Good to know...thanks! Does Mean Green do as good of a job cleaning other stuff as Simple Green does? I'm about due for more (I buy a gallon about every year and use about 1:5 in a spray bottle mixed with water). Will either get Mean Green or Extreme if they are still good cleaners. I've never seen it damage Al, but not sure I've soaked anything in it either. Better safe than sorry even if it is a few extra bucks.

I've thought about getting an ultrasonic cleaner before - this thread might inspire me to do so. That HF one seems like a good deal for as relatively little as I'd use it.

I use my Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner all the time. Mostly I use it for float carburetors, chains and other greasy stuff. It has saved many outboard and mower carbs. The bigger ones on eBay are better since they have a tougher transducer and more capacity. I only use Simple Green "D" and I cannot stress it enough, do NOT use Super Clean or anything like that. I used it once and it made a bunch of white deposits and discolored a carb.

Good to know...thanks! Does Mean Green do as good of a job cleaning other stuff as Simple Green does? I'm about due for more (I buy a gallon about every year and use about 1:5 in a spray bottle mixed with water). Will either get Mean Green or Extreme if they are still good cleaners. I've never seen it damage Al, but not sure I've soaked anything in it either. Better safe than sorry even if it is a few extra bucks.

I've thought about getting an ultrasonic cleaner before - this thread might inspire me to do so. That HF one seems like a good deal for as relatively little as I'd use it.
I use Mean Green Super Strength. https://www.homehardware.ca/en/378l-super-strength-cleaner-and-degreaser/p/4523466

It works the best of all I have tried and is reasonably priced. I have even tried some very expensive industrial type cleaner that didn't work as well. I mostly use it to clean cylinders and small parts. Carbs go in a glass jar with alcohol.

Try some different things and see what works for you. I am in Canada and we can't get some of the products that are available in the U.S. and there may be stuff down there that work even better.

Carbs go in a glass jar with alcohol.

So how does that work
out for you?? Do you leave any air in the jar ? do you reuse the alcohol ? Specifically what alcohol ? I wa actually thinking about trying paint thinner ( mineral spirits) or acetone .

Back